IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a minor leak in my meth injection system, I've had to run my pump gas map for the past 2 days. All I can say is, "Thank God for meth!". The extra 50+ ft/lbs of torque is sorely missed and the car feels slow, espsecially in the lower gears. I can't wait to get my meth back.

If anyone is on the fence about meth, do it and you'll never regret it.

P.S. The issue is with the Snow Performance pump, which XXTuning is going to replace free of charge (no labor). Yet some people think they would charge me for a cracked header. I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I see you are running a 70/30 meth mix. Why? Does this deliver more power than 50/50 if you are tuned for it?

What boost level do you begin spraying? I am set up to begin @ 12psi. Any more particulars would be great!

CB

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fastcb said:
I see you are running a 70/30 meth mix. Why? Does this deliver more power than 50/50 if you are tuned for it?

What boost level do you begin spraying? I am set up to begin @ 12psi. Any more particulars would be great!

CB
That is how the shop set it up. I will have to ckeck my controller to see what the setting are. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
BicketyBam said:
That is how the shop set it up. I will have to ckeck my controller to see what the setting are. I'll let you know.
just watch your meth light, when it comes on see what rpm your at.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gohrsepwr said:
just watch your meth light, when it comes on see what rpm your at.
I can just look at the controller. Give me a sec.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the start is at 8 and full at 18.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
How much meth do you go through then. I am getting 2-3 tankfulls out of a 1 gallon tank in the trunk. I had it set down low (around 8psi) right after I installed it and before I had it tuned and man, I was going through alot of meth!

CB

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
BicketyBam said:
If anyone is on the fence about meth, do it and you'll never regret it.
You'll never regret it until you damage your motor due to a problem with the Meth system. Simple as that. Meth truly is nice as a power adder. But, for a daily driver it is only a matter of time before something happens to the meth system. Could be 5000 miles. Could be 70000 miles. Who knows. That's the issue ;)

P.S. The issue is with the Snow Performance pump ...
... or maybe even less than 5000 miles, lol.

t

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do we have lots of stories on here from people losing engines to failed meth systems? I can't seem to find any.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
BicketyBam said:
Do we have lots of stories on here from people losing engines to failed meth systems? I can't seem to find any.
I don't know of any. Although i'm sure there are isolated cases. When your pump goes, or in my case my Meth boiled and the pump did not spray, I could tell instantly without looking at the gauges. An AFR gauge and common sense will keep you out of trouble.
As with ALL power mods it will lessen the life expectancy of the engine. There is no reason to be scared of meth IMO.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yeah, sheesh. Where were all the trolls when I did my standard exhaustive research about meth systems? I come from the Esemes school of thought. Keep it as OEM LOOKING as possible. Big TMIC, meth, 20G (he changed back), no FMIC, no bumper hack.
So, I researched and found that liquid intercooler (meth) makes safe, reliable power. Hey, I went at this thing with the same exact frame of mind-my car is my only means of transportation and I don't want to do anything to shorten its life. If meth is all that bad, maybe I should take my system out and sell it.

CB

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
There are definitely meth system failures that have led to damaged motors. Unfortunately, it appears that those people don't want to talk about it. First off, you need to verify that it was a problem with the meth system that caused the issue (which is a feat in itself given that the motor is done). Second, you need to get through pychological issues and post about the motor failure (which many people don't do).

Don't get me wrong, I believe in meth 110%. I think it's a great choice. It creates awesome safe power (as long as it is working). My only issue is that people who install these systems on cars need to understand the downsides. It's quite simple. Meth system fails. Motor goes boom (depending on the failsafe system and how your tuner tuned your car). 22-24psi midrange on a VF39 with 12.5:1 AFRs and high timing is a recipe for disaster on 93 octane.

At least some companies are now making failsafes that will cut off your wastegate solenoid and allow you to run on spring pressure. That's awesome for a VF39 given that they will only run like 11psi on spring pressure. At the very least, if you intend to run Meth on a daily driver please make sure that you are running one of the failsafes that detects for a broken pump, clogged nozzle, and no meth.

t

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
WolfPlayer said:
...At least some companies are now making failsafes that will cut off your wastegate solenoid and allow you to run on spring pressure.
This has been standard on the Aquamist 2D system from the get-go. It dumps boost to WG spring pressure within .05 seconds of a failure detection, and without it I would never have gone with injection. Folks that rely on AFR displays are kidding themselves if they think they can react fast enough in the middle of a WOT pull - and that's if they're looking. One word of caution: just make sure the WG spring pressure is below the starting boost point for injection! A risky failsafe is pointless.

As for system failures that have directly lead to borked motors: I haven't seen any threads or heard any stories yet either, but I suspect there are a few out there. If the tune is on the ragged edge, the turbo is pushed up into an area of low efficiency, and especially if the pistons are stock, it wouldn't take but a second or two and it'd be all over.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard more stories of people zorching their engine with an upgraded turbo than a meth pump failure.

But of course the risk is always there. I won't deny it. But everytime I get in my car there is a risk I am going to get into an accident - I don't let that stop me from driving :)

One thing I will say is this: Don't get meth and plan on running it part time. You will hate your car on pump gas after you've driven it on meth. Chris from XXtuning took me out for another fine tune and I chirped 2nd gear once he was done (a first for me). I cannot believe how hard this car pulls over the pump gas map.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts