IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but I think it may be allowed in SM. Not sure though.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Haha yes you can, and I recommend it. If not to tune more aggressively it makes as an amazing saftey feature while you are beating on the car during an auto-x. At my initial stages of tuning alky/water I was able to set it up to spray just the right amount on my 93 tune to eliminate and knock learning I was previously tuning and actually achieve some + learned timing at high loads.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
LightWerkz said:
Interesting. I could do a stealth install, and no one would notice ;)
Try to stay within the class dude. STU doesn't allow catless or protune (with higher boost) also... SM does however! :tup:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeh, quite trying to cheat. Im bone stock, except for strut bars and they threw me in STU to defend again stg 2 with suspension evo's and sti's. Not fair to me at all, haha venting.

No j.k. Is there anyway to turn the system off for autox?

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STEye said:
Try to stay within the class dude. STU doesn't allow catless or protune (with higher boost) also... SM does however! :tup:

Im trying to set up the car accordingly.

However I am catless, and running a protuned map.

For my Motorsportsne club I revert back to stock, in order to run with the A group.

I wouldnt cheat, it was just a remark.

I guess SM you can do w/e you want. So maybe I should have just bought some R comps to begin with, rather then doing the whole street tire thing.

Auto-x is tough, you need to have your car setup the right way to take advantage of it....hmm...what to do...

I really dont want to run with SM....too tough of competition w/o r comps.

Uncle lewie didnt you say I could run with STU though?

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
uncle lewie said:
Yeh, quite trying to cheat. Im bone stock, except for strut bars and they threw me in STU to defend again stg 2 with suspension evo's and sti's. Not fair to me at all, haha venting.

No j.k. Is there anyway to turn the system off for autox?
Yes there is, of course. As mentioned above, I want to set the car up for auto-x

Would coilovers put me in a new class? I am def planning on some new suspension because my stock shocks are shot, and the tanabe gf210's blow....Its one of the largest downfalls to the car, IMHO.

I remember a rfew of you telling me to run in BM or STU, but now you guys are saying catless its not allowed in STU, so there goes that plan.

If you have any suggestions how I should set up the car, and what not to do in order to be competitive in any class besides SM, let me know. If I have to go into SM, well then I need to start practicing in order to place well lol.

honestly I should probably just go all out and run with the big boys in class SM. Probably would take a few seasons to actually be competetitive though...

·
3,296 Posts
http://scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

Download the rule book and check it out.

The wingless trunk puts you into BSP. Water injection is allowed in BSP as well. You can now modify boost in BSP which you couldn't last year. I have to double check but I think catless throws you into SM.

Coilovers are allowed in pretty much every class except stock. KWs and Ohlins seem to be the popular coilovers with the STU guys in the DC region. Bilsteins too but they are $$$$.

Like you said BSP and SM are usually pretty competitive and those classes to be competitive you need to have R-comps which are an additional expense. :(

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dammit. I have looked over the rule/classification book, however its confusing to me.

I think I am going to change my DP for a catted DP. Seems like this is the way to go (legal/environmentaly) and I can run with BSP, w/o the need for R-comps.

Thanks for the input. All comments welcome..

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Caesar, BSP is not a bad way to go... Allows for a little more mods than STU, but is much more limited than SM.. I was thinking of possibly going that route next year. It's tough to mod for your class, cuz you're always thinking "That would be nice to get this part for my car, but damnit it goes against my class".

Looks like water injection is allowed! :tup: Not sure if Meth is prohibited because of safety?
BTW, when did you change your name?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Cz you cheater! :lol:

I'm already in SM might as well go all out ;)

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Allen, you might as well ;)

However I need to stick with a class, and the fact that I just bought new street tires, doesnt make me want to fall into SM just becayse of being catless.

Oh and running against Kevin Lau....lol and the other evo mafia

·
3,296 Posts
LightWerkz said:
Dammit. I have looked over the rule/classification book, however its confusing to me.

I think I am going to change my DP for a catted DP. Seems like this is the way to go (legal/environmentaly) and I can run with BSP, w/o the need for R-comps.

Thanks for the input. All comments welcome..
Yea the rule book is confusing. :( The general rule of thumb with Solo II is if it's not listed in the book as being allowed then it's not allowed.

BSP allows for R-comps and most people in that class will probably have them. :(

I say keep the catless DP, get some R-comps, and work your way up in $M. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.