IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: ASSumptions make you look like a ahole

My question is how does a 6'5 man drive comfortably in a GTI? Lol. Open the sunroof for extra headroom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

My question is how does a 6'5 man drive comfortably in a GTI? Lol. Open the sunroof for extra headroom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
LMFAO THANK YOU!

I did quite well actually... and when I got the car, I was only 6'0 (not much better)

so yea that alone was comical as I looked like a clown car upon entry and exit :rofl:

so people would always ask me:

Is that YOUR car? Aren't you too big? Don't you like trucks? You don't look like the type to drive such a car?

yes to all of those questions, and that is my personal experience!

Any from an STi that you can share?

·
Registered
669 Posts

I was speaking from MY past vehicle. My other posts state such.
soooooooo i try to tie back into the original question at hand lol

ARE there any expereinces that you can share as an STi owner seeing that I HAVE NOT taken delivery and my past personal experience were from a GTi and my encounters.

I was looking forward to learning about yours as an STi driver....but I see its easier in life just to form your own opinions, rather than come to a fourm of question and dicussion?

:confused: lol
Gotcha. No experience with negative profiling for me since owning an STi (about 4 years now).

I have met a BUNCH of high school looking males that apparently had "just bought" a WRX but coincidentally were driving their other car that day. Always seems to be while I'm pumping gas. HUGE eye roll.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I get negative comments about the wing all the time!!! Also from my wife who said buying the STI was the most Asian thing I have ever done since I am half Korean and this is the first non euro car I have owned. Went from VW to Mercedes to Audi. Still have the Audi but its a garage queen.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Idk bud.

I had a honest question that turned into Bill o' Reilly segment (so hostile lol).
I'm not to let one ruin the bunch.
How's your STi? do you have anything to contribute?
STI is good. Plenty to contribute based on my history. Just so you know there are educated people on this forum and we can see right through the original post and the intent is to Bait this into a racial issue especially since you reference to whats going on in current media. I am very up to date on the current media issue and I can assure you No WRX STI vehicles were involved. Stick to the car issues and you will be fine.

With that being said, I do get followed by the cops every now and then. I assume its because this would be in their mind a Hoonigan car. Dont do anything stupid and you wont get pulled over or in trouble. Nothing wrong with cops following people or checking things out. The road is public and driving is a privilege not a right. These STI's attract attention, nothing you can do about it. In fact that why the insurance is so high because again some people thing they are Ken Block everyday when driving them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

STI is good. Plenty to contribute based on my history. Just so you know there are educated people on this forum and we can see right through the original post and the intent is to Bait this into a racial issue especially since you reference to whats going on in current media. I am very up to date on the current media issue and I can assure you No WRX STI vehicles were involved. Stick to the car issues and you will be fine.

With that being said, I do get followed by the cops every now and then. I assume its because this would be in their mind a Hoonigan car. Dont do anything stupid and you wont get pulled over or in trouble. Nothing wrong with cops following people or checking things out. The road is public and driving is a privilege not a right. These STI's attract attention, nothing you can do about it. In fact that why the insurance is so high because again some people thing they are Ken Block everyday when driving them.
Well. Never the intent to "bait" just creating relevance based off of my own personal opinion/experience. And I'm glad there are educated people whom can contribute without hypersensitivity as soon as someone remotely glosses over negative media(the first response to thread).

Satire is hard to translate over text without excessive lol's....but thank you for your input! lol

Attention they damn sure attract. :tup:

·
Premium Member
870 Posts

Well. Never the intent to "bait" just creating relevance based off of my own personal opinion/experience. And I'm glad there are educated people whom can contribute without hypersensitivity as soon as someone remotely glosses over negative media(the first response to thread).

Satire is hard to translate over text without excessive lol's....but thank you for your input! lol

Attention they damn sure attract. :tup:
Man, you can ask anyone who's met me, I'll give you the shirt off my back if it means you have a better experience with these cars. But I absolutely cannot stand an obvious attempt at poisoning this group of car enthusiasts with current politics.

I have enough trouble stomaching stancenation without having race discussions here.:)

To advance the story, I've had some awesome moments with the sti. Even when a motor blows, or issues arise, I still have great experiences meeting people and interacting with those who know more than I do. The Subaru people are what make it great for me, sure there are some bad apples, but 90% of the guys in this community are willing to spend all day helping you out. :tup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
2 yrs in a FXT, 9 yrs in an LGT and 2 months in my STI. I get a lot of "that's a big wing" comments. Nothing negative about owning the car or being an STI driver... well, except Prius owners always want to race. Haven't figured that one out yet. I'm also in the 50+ club, and drive responsibly (most of the time).

·
Registered
311 Posts
2 yrs in a FXT, 9 yrs in an LGT and 2 months in my STI. I get a lot of "that's a big wing" comments. Nothing negative about owning the car or being an STI driver... well, except Prius owners always want to race. Haven't figured that one out yet. I'm also in the 50+ club, and drive responsibly (most of the time).
50+ as well and you're right about the Prius drivers. Not sure I know what is going on there but I've had my fair share of them baiting a race :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove my Legacy GT for 5 years and drove it hard everywhere. Not once did a have a policemen look at me. Mo mother had the same car!

Yet I drive my buddies 12 sti hatch for 2 minutes and cops are all over my ass. It's a car that itslef promotes a stereotype.....excuse me ad I go vape hahahah

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Man, you can ask anyone who's met me, I'll give you the shirt off my back if it means you have a better experience with these cars. But I absolutely cannot stand an obvious attempt at poisoning this group of car enthusiasts with current politics.

I have enough trouble stomaching stancenation without having race discussions here.:)

To advance the story, I've had some awesome moments with the sti. Even when a motor blows, or issues arise, I still have great experiences meeting people and interacting with those who know more than I do. The Subaru people are what make it great for me, sure there are some bad apples, but 90% of the guys in this community are willing to spend all day helping you out. :tup:
That i'm coming to find out.
cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lots of compliments on the car so far, mostly from younger kids and teens which I don't mind (I'm still pretty young myself) . I've seen some people in GTIs and other cars wave to me or give a thumbs up as well. I try to wave to everyone when I see a nice car (Golf R/GTI, Shelby GT350/GT500, etc.) not just the WRX crew.

The other day I sped by a police officer who was actually doing the speed limit and nothing happened. Later that same day I came up on another cop fast and got behind him but again nothing happened. If this wasn't Houston I'd have a radar detector already but nobody ever gets pulled over for speeding here (except in Humble, fck the police there).

Being that the car is red I'd expect to get pulled over for everything, but the only thing so far was my license plate being in the front windshield which I've since drilled into the bumper because I don't feel like paying for the relocation kit. The state trooper just gave me a warning that time so no ticket.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting... I've been driving my 13 hatch since new and nobody ever wanted to race me or follow me, I've had thumbs ups and waves but that was it. I was even cruising 40 over on the highway directly in front of a cop who was going the same speed, or doing 10-15 over and passing a cop and nothing happens. So from my experience the STi is a pretty "mature" car to the people/cops here and the cops aren't jerks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting... I've been driving my 13 hatch since new and nobody ever wanted to race me or follow me, I've had thumbs ups and waves but that was it. I was even cruising 40 over on the highway directly in front of a cop who was going the same speed, or doing 10-15 over and passing a cop and nothing happens. So from my experience the STi is a pretty "mature" car to the people/cops here and the cops aren't jerks.
Heh, yeah the cops seem to be the least of my worries here. You just reminded me though, I had someone in an old 96ish Civic that looked like it was falling apart floor it past me (not sure if he was trying to race or what) and heard a loud clunk - thought maybe the transmission mounts collapsed or something. Anyway I ignored him and then passed him after he had to slam on his brakes for traffic.

Then later that same day an F450 tried to race me while cruising around 30MPH. It was late and no cars around so I gave it some gas and easily sped by him. He then tried to race me from a stop at the traffic light but I didn't feel like making my girlfriend uncomfortable so I let him floor it and get in front of me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I remember the first day I picked mine up after ordering it, and without thinking, I asked the salesman if I could sit in it.

He looked at me and said "...Yeah....It's your car bud."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wish I could say the same in VA. everyone here isn't from here so cops have field days with out of town plates.....good ole commonwealth.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Stopped twice over the last year for kid car:

• Tailed for no real reason, like 5 miles! Stopped by female cop. Don’t exactly remember what reason she gave was. Think it was because my license plate frame covered the edge of GARDEN STATE NJ at the bottom. No ticket.

• Last week. Traveling a few miles over the limit on country road. Black SUV creeping closer from behind. There will be trucks and cars ahead and I really don’t want another making a line longer. My speed creeps too. SUV Pulls out to pass. My speed is still creeping. He’s along side. I back off. He’s got plenty of space. He slows. I‘m thinking this guy wants to race? I back off more and double flash to say go ahead. He slow more I about stop I double flash again. We are stopped. In the highway!!! He’s 100 ft ahead. His flashing lights come on. WTF? I rev it and vroom to the shoulder.

I acted very confused and bewildered. He’s almost yelling at me - “you know it’s illegal to speed up when someone is passing you. You know it's the same as reckless and careless. It’s a 5 point ticket. I cant’t find a valid registration.” He takes my license and Ins back to his car. He come back. I’m still acting like a fuddy duddy old man who’s scared and can’t think – and I stutter out ya know, I was accelerating before you pulled out –and when you did I let you by and was signaling to go ahead. He says “When I pulled this car over I expected an 18 yr old. It’s an 18 year olds' car and your driving like an 18 year old. I see your radar detector and guess you drive fast. Take it easy” Then he just stomped back to his car!

Thing is I wasn’t driving like an 18 year old.
Wish I had videos of this and my previous post in this thread.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Friends told me i need to start vaping, wear a man bun and beanie, grow a neck beard. uncle asked if i was a lesbian, wife says she expects a chollo to get out every time she sees my car.

I did park next to an officer at Starbucks and he asked me what to do to his wrx and where to go get a tune.

Most of the time just get "that's an awesome hatch!"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Never been profiled in it yet. Lots of waves from other wrx/stis though. But the ones I like the most are all the M3, M4, M5, S4, S5 drivers that thumbs up it. Was next to a recent RS4 stuck in traffic. He had about 20k in mods on it. Looks at me and says he should have gotten my car. My 76 year old aunt loves it too.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts