IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a clunk from the trunk area when going over sharp bumps. I dug around and the jack is secure, the spare is screwed down tight, but the sheet of mdf board over the spare is just sitting there--it's not fastened down at all. I can easily see it getting a little bit airborne over a bump and causing the noise.

Is that how it's supposed to be? Has anyone tried to tie it down somehow?

·
Registered
668 Posts
it should have two plastic pegs on them that fit into two circular braces at the rear (near the lock) of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I yanked my spare tire and jack for the weight savings, and replaced them with a small plastic air compressor. But with no support, my cardboard collapsed too. So I picked up a nice 90 deg. carbon fiber span on ebay (1"x1") and glued that in as a cardboard support beam. Works great!! I bought a 3' length, and trimmed one side of the 90 deg. bend so it sits flat on either side of the tire well. The cardboard isn't perfectly flat, but the whole deal is very functional.

·
Registered
668 Posts
that's a good diea... if you use the spare tire well, stuff won't slide around as much during spirited driving!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
As always. cardboard + water = bye-bye cardboard

I replaced the cardboard with a piece of clear acrylic sheeting from Lowe's. Stronger than cardboard and waterproof, too.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I cut a piece of 1/4th inch plywood to replace the spare tire cover in my dad's car..... Haven't stapled the carpet onto it yet tho.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Dr Evyl - yes, that's my other baby. Apparently I just love hood scoops - now the STi just needs the hood mount tach!

Good ideas on the tirewell cover - I kept the cardboard mostly for NHV considerations (I don't have a radio to drown out road noise).

·
Registered
535 Posts
? ? Are we getting the Red STI here ? ?

I got clunking too
alas its not the board
new strut(s) on the way from Subaru
Its getting really bad too
hope it stays together until tuesday...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also got the "clunk". I thought it was from the sway bar or strut brace but have checked them several times and nothing is loose.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mine started doing it the other day after I hauled an air compressor in the trunk. I think it fugged up the tire cover somehow. I refastened the cover with the pegs and it was fine for a few days but the noise is back. Time for a Spec C trunk. ;)

*not my car....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts