IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*...Subaru have decided not to offer Colin McRae a drive in next year's World Rally Championship.

McRae had been hotly tipped to return to Subaru to partner world champion Petter Solberg after Richard Burns was found to have a brain tumour.

But the team have decided not to take back the 35-year-old Scot, who won the title with them in 1995.

McRae told the Autosport website: "I've never been more disappointed in my entire time in the championship."

Subaru's decision almost certainly means McRae will be forced to sit out next year's world rally series after he was dropped by Citroen after a disappointing year in 2003.

He added: "This deal was not about the money, it was about me being in a team that could have given me one more crack at the World Rally Championship.

"Subaru could have had a cracking team with Petter and myself."

McRae to race in desert rally
McRae's only confirmed drive next year is with Nissan in the trans-Saharan Dakar Rally.

World Rally commercial boss David Richards, whose Prodrive company runs the Subaru team, said he was disappointed not to have McRae in the series.

"Some sports have iconic figures and Colin is one of them," Richards said.

"It was Colin that helped put Subaru on the map. I don't think some people understand the impact of not having him in the car."

Autosport said Finn Mikko Hirvonen was favourite to be named in the Subaru team when an announcement was made next week...*, as per BBC Sport.

Yes, maybe the message should be posted on the STi Pro Motorsports section, but I felt it too important to have it linger on the back pages.

It's most unfortunate Subaru brass felt they don't need McRae as he was the one who put Subaru on the map, and is one of the greatest drivers in the World.

Very sad for McRae.

I hope he finds a ride, and shows them what he is made of.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
that sux.i was so excited about him comin back.w/ a team like petter and colin it was almost a guarentee for sube.thanx for the info alfanick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dave Richards ego is tooooooo big to have Colin drive one of his cars. Ask JV.

Why couldn't they have McRae and Hirvonen? My understanding is that the teams can only have two drivers that have been on the podium in the last three years in a championship round of the WRC.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The rules had Changed again after that. Now you are only allowed to nominate two drivers for points I beleive

The news about Colin makes me angry, expecially since they said it had nothing to do with money.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just a thought: maybe they didn't want a repeat of what happened when Tommi was on board...meaning not being very competitive. I'm not saying that Coling is not competitive anymore but maybe it was a decision between someone young to develop vs. someone who has been there already

·
Registered
311 Posts
Id rather see Colin have a Subie. Im dissapointed...

On the birght side...
Hopefully Mikko Hirvonen will be a rising star!! If were lucky then we could have another Petter on our hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts