IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just wanna know if anyone have seen or try or know anything about the MB Weapon wheels from discount tires.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...w=false&dVeh=dVeh&pc=53632&rw=&bp=&vid=008895

I was originally looking into the SSR Type C RS, but they are pretty expensive..so I turn out looking at the Rota Torque, and somehow as I was checking out tires...I found those MB Weapon which I think do look quite like the Rota Torque.

Any clues?

EL

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
laueddy said:
Hi,

I just wanna know if anyone have seen or try or know anything about the MB Weapon wheels from discount tires.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...w=false&dVeh=dVeh&pc=53632&rw=&bp=&vid=008895

I was originally looking into the SSR Type C RS, but they are pretty expensive..so I turn out looking at the Rota Torque, and somehow as I was checking out tires...I found those MB Weapon which I think do look quite like the Rota Torque.

Any clues?

EL
besides that MB motoring or whatever they are called are crap just like 90% of all other replica companies.

the SSRs aren't cheap b/c you're paying for quality, wieght (or lack there of), and technology.

with a replica you're paying for cheap materials, and the shipping from china.

it isn't like you're driving a $2000 kia, where spending $2k on wheels would seem a little strange. YOU DRIVE AN STI! don't skimp on wheels, tires, brakes, or suspension.

for example, would I chastise someone for a replica syms spoiler? heck yes, would I beat them with a stick next time I saw them? no.

now if same person had, say...MB motoring wheels they would get beaten with a stick, and maybe two if they sold their BBS's afterwards!!

/rant

IBanyonecomplainsaboutmeyellingatpeopleaboutreplicas,youallknewitwascoming:lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
besides that MB motoring or whatever they are called are crap just like 90% of all other replica companies.

the SSRs aren't cheap b/c you're paying for quality, wieght (or lack there of), and technology.

it isn't like you're driving a $2000 kia, where spending $2k on wheels would seem a little strange. YOU DRIVE AN STI! don't skimp on wheels, tires, brakes, or suspension.

for example, would I chastise someone for a replica syms spoiler? heck yes, would I beat them with a stick next time I saw them? no.

now if same person had, say...MB motoring wheels they would get beaten with a stick, and maybe two if they sold their BBS's afterwards!!

/rant

You seem to be the self pro-claimed guru of wheels...believe me I am not, so what do you recommend for a winter set up for an 06 sti, not replacements for the BBS? Was looking into Rota's, I know your opinion on them!

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
LOUIE NJ said:
You seem to be the self pro-claimed guru of wheels...
I wouldn't go that far as being self pro-claimed guru, I'm just a whore. :)

LOUIE NJ said:
believe me I am not, so what do you recommend for a winter set up for an 06 sti, not replacements for the BBS? Was looking into Rota's, I know your opinion on them!

for strict winter duty, tire rack has some 17x7.5s that'd be perfect and at $99 a copy they are a steal.

otherwise assuming you don't buy a wheel with very little spokes it should be strong.

If I had to indure the winter months I'd be hard pressed to find a wheel that I liked,wouldn't care if it got beat up,and strong enough to take a beating.

It's hard for me to recommend rotas, all though for winter wheels assuming you get one of the stronger ones you shouldn't have issues. not the boosts!

·
Registered
20 Posts
2 New England potholed winters on my Enkei RPF-1's. Still round and going strong. And gold wheels look serious when they get dirty from slush and salt and mud.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U know, it has been a very hard for me to decide what to get with limit budget. What I have in mind for this Oct/Nov is to have RCE Springs package, or Ohlins Coilover. Either way, I am only looking into 24mm/20mm lower. I also want to prepare with some good winter tires through out this winter, this is also the reason why I am looking into wheels. At first I was going to SSR Type C RS because it is one of the better looking wheels which I like. It should also works as an upgrade over the stock BBS, that way I can keep the Snow tires with the BBS, while the SSR Typc C RS as my summer wheels.

However, $409 x 4 @ tirerack is not within my budget, but I really don't know what other wheels would fall between the Stock BBS / SSR.

If there aren't anything @ 17x8.5 that are better than the BBS, then I would get something decent looking for the winter, then keep the BBS as my summer wheels.

So, any suggestsions of what else I should look at.

Obviously, I have look @ the $99 wheels @ tirerack, but I don't like silver, gunmetal color works best for me. BTW, I have a 06 WRB STi

Thanks
EL

·
Registered
198 Posts
laueddy said:
U know, it has been a very hard for me to decide what to get with limit budget. What I have in mind for this Oct/Nov is to have RCE Springs package, or Ohlins Coilover. Either way, I am only looking into 24mm/20mm lower. I also want to prepare with some good winter tires through out this winter, this is also the reason why I am looking into wheels. At first I was going to SSR Type C RS because it is one of the better looking wheels which I like. It should also works as an upgrade over the stock BBS, that way I can keep the Snow tires with the BBS, while the SSR Typc C RS as my summer wheels.

However, $409 x 4 @ tirerack is not within my budget, but I really don't know what other wheels would fall between the Stock BBS / SSR.

If there aren't anything @ 17x8.5 that are better than the BBS, then I would get something decent looking for the winter, then keep the BBS as my summer wheels.

So, any suggestsions of what else I should look at.

Obviously, I have look @ the $99 wheels @ tirerack, but I don't like silver, gunmetal color works best for me. BTW, I have a 06 WRB STi

Thanks
EL

I'm having the same problem you are...been doing this sh*t for three weeks now...hopefully I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got the MB boost rims with 215/50 Hankook Ice Bar. Anyway for the
money you can't beat this for a winter set up. Gives the STI a whole new
look. Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
800 Posts
T3h_Clap said:

/rant

^^^ quoted for the truth

IBsomeonesays,youaretheminorityandblackwheelsarehot

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
:lol: ;)

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
dailydriversti said:
it was fitting i know. :rofl:

<I needs to go on smiles ftw and get some new smilees>

·
Registered
601 Posts
lackskill said:
I vote stock bbs' for winter use and get a good set of 18's for the rest of the year...
I agree :)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
nandanrp said:
Dude, limited budget and Ohlins don't go in the same sentence :eek:

I'm with lackskill.
Sometimes you just flat run out of money. I bought a set of ZZYZX's and I'm rolling on Rotas because I ran out of money after buying all the crap I needed for the 2004.5 swap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe this will help.... Through October 20th Discount tire is offering $100 off any set of tires and $100 off a set of wheels... $200 total discount if you buy both... Plus Free Mounting and Balancing... Free Shipping...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the mb weapons. They are awesome and really cheap. I have 17x8s and they weigh right at 18lbs. Really light for a 120 dollar wheel. And if you happen to break one, which i doubt you will, they are so cheap it wont kill you to buy another one. The mb weapons i got were previously A-tech erasors, from what i remember about a 250 dollar wheel. I think MB bought out A tech and are still selling the A tech wheels. I am not sure if Mb has actually cast any weapon wheels theirselves.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I vote stock bbs' for winter use and get a good set of 18's for the rest of the year...
+1

Wrap the stockers in winter tires and save the rest of your budget. Then save more over the winter and get yourself some nice summer rims/tires next year.

·
Registered
108 Posts

/rant

Research before inserting foot in mouth...

A-Tech wheels are rebranded as MB Motoring to be sold at discount tire in the US. "Weapons" are named "eraser" in Japan, where they are produced. They're a decent quality wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts