IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 STI.
From other posts, looks like we can get 6 1/2" in the front and 5 1/4" in the back. Anyone know the maximum mount depth in inches?

Front - From Crutchfield, for "top mount depth" looks like 2" (Polk db650) is fine in the front, but 2 7/16" (Polk Momo MMC 650) is too deep. So is 2" max, or 2 7/16", or something in between?

I want to go beyond the Polk db's, but not sure if bigger speakers will fit.

Rear - Sounds like depth doesn't matter? Just have to get "ISA spacers" to make 5 1/4" fit. Do the spacers eliminate the need to cut any sheet metal?

I don't want to cut into my car, but I'll drill holes if needed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Limited035 said:
2006 STI.
From other posts, looks like we can get 6 1/2" in the front and 5 1/4" in the back. Anyone know the maximum mount depth in inches?

Front - From Crutchfield, for "top mount depth" looks like 2" (Polk db650) is fine in the front, but 2 7/16" (Polk Momo MMC 650) is too deep. So is 2" max, or 2 7/16", or something in between?

I want to go beyond the Polk db's, but not sure if bigger speakers will fit.

Rear - Sounds like depth doesn't matter? Just have to get "ISA spacers" to make 5 1/4" fit. Do the spacers eliminate the need to cut any sheet metal?

BUMP

I too would like to know this too, im about to upgrade speakers and am curious about the mounting details....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got this back from Crutchfield. Momo's don't fit he says. I was hoping I could put something more powerful than the regular db6500 in the front. Also, I'm thinking about having NO rear speakers. I'm just not sure if that would make for weaker sound since I've never heard a car with that kind of setup (powerful front speakers and no rear speakers, but with a sub in the trunk).

"Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

I will be happy to help with your questions on the speakers for your STi. The MMC 650s are a little to deep and a little too tall. The depth is only off by a 1/10th of an inch, but there really isn’t any room to space them away from the door.

We do not have any brackets to allow you to install a 5 ¼" speaker in the rear. There is 4" of depth available there, so if you can adapt it yourself, the room is there."

·
Registered
305 Posts
Limited035 said:
2006 STI.

Yes the spacers will allow fitment of 5 1/4" speakers in the rear without cutting or drilling. I think this may be what you are looking for: http://www.iaperformance.com/index.php/cPath/44_45_54_56

1 - 4 of 4 Posts