IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I figure I’ll get flamed for starting another “what tire size fits” thread but after reading for a few weeks I still haven’t found the answer to my question. The really long big tire thread here is 98% speculation on what “should” fit with only one or two posts that actually give someone’s full setup details and what tires fit. The 43 page thread on nabisco has more posts but still nobody with the same setup I’m installing on an STI.

So here’s what I’m looking for. I have an ’05 STI that I’ve tracked about 7 times in its stock setup. Now that I’m used to it (and tired of getting crap from my track buddies after spending so much more on my car to go slower), I just ordered some suspension from RCE. I got some KW V3’s with RCE camber plates, WL sway bars (27-29 front and 22-24-26 rear), alk, end links, etc. So I need to get some wheels and tires for the track.

I was looking at some 17x9+43 with 275/40-17 R-comps but I’ve read posts that say they fit and some posts that say they don’t. I’ve even read posts that say that 255/40 rub with that same size and offset wheel which seems odd if many say the 275 fits. Ideally I’d like to go with a wider wheel for the 275 to maximize the contact patch and minimize tire movement on the wheel but from the data I’ve found so far it seems I’d run into fitment issues for sure. It’s extremely hard to make heads or tails of many posts since not all the setup is given and the majority of posts are speculation or the bling crowd.

So what I’d like to get from you ‘all is some confirmed fits for track use on KW V3’s. No speculation please. It seemed from talking to RCE that many track guys use the KW V3’s so there must be some that have already gone through the trial and error of finding the max size that fits. Or is there a better place to post where these guys hang out? All the serious track guys in our club went, of course, with the Evo so I’ve been left to be a trailblazer within our club.

Thanks for your help.
Doug

·
Registered
597 Posts
mx5_convert said:
joscolem said:
Here's some pics of a buddy of mine running 275's at an Auto-X event this weekend.

OK, so what wheels and what suspension?
Wheels----------SportMAX 050 17x9 5x100 & 5x114.3--offset +38
Tires------------275/40-17 Kumho V710s
Suspension------Helix DNA Coilovers 8/6k springrates

He also has Bigger front and rear sway bars, pillowball endlinks

-josh

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
KW's are bigger than the Helix or the Megans.

I have my KW's installed and will be testing fitting my 275s in the next couple days. need to raise the car a little.

I'm not sure if the 17x9 +43mm will have enough inboard clearance for the KW's large spring perches.

I'm going to try and test fit a set during subaru challenge (oct 21).

I'll be testfitting the following wheels/tires in the near future or have test fitted.

17x8 +48mm 275/40 V710s (does NOT clear (at least it didn't in the rear when i had -2.2 degrees camber, will retest now with -1.7).
17x8 +48mm -15mm spacers 275/40 V710s
17x8 +53mm -15mm spacers
17x8 +53mm 245/40 A032Rs (doesn't clear in the rear (rubs on the strut housing).
17x9 +35mm 275/40 V710s
17x10 +35mm 275/40 V710s
17x10 +?? CCWs 295/35 17 Hoosier A6s
17x8.5 +48mm 245/45 V710s (should be able to test fit these on Thursday).

the main issue with the KW's is going to be inboard clearance. you can raise the ride height to a point where it will stay off the tire 14" is a good spot.

as you see i've got plenty of locals with a 5x114.3 wheels and big tires, I just need to borrow them for a few minutes to test fit :)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
mx5_convert said:
Wheels----------SportMAX 050 17x9 5x100 & 5x114.3--offset +38
Tires------------275/40-17 Kumho V710s
Suspension------Helix DNA Coilovers 8/6k springrates

He also has Bigger front and rear sway bars, pillowball endlinks

-josh
Do you have any idea what his ride height is set at? Looks close to stock.

I was kinda hopeful that I could run 275's on my coilovers at 8k/7k spring rates and maybe bigger Whiteline bars, but I'm not willing to raise my car to do it.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
with a 14.5" front and 14" rear you can poke and not have rubbing issues

i could've ran 275s on 9" wheels with my STi Pink Wagon rear springs that are 14" from hub to center, so basically.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
with a 14.5" front and 14" rear you can poke and not have rubbing issues

i could've ran 275s on 9" wheels with my STi Pink Wagon rear springs that are 14" from hub to center, so basically.
Yeah, but I'd like to run 14.0" front and 13.5" rear. I have a buddy with 275's on his +38 offset wheels, I should do a test fit and take some measurements to see how much room I have. I *might* be able to get away with a rolled fender and a set of +45 K1's.

Hopefully it's close enough that I can make it work by playing with the camber if I can clear the trailing arm.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Mykl said:
Yeah, but I'd like to run 14.0" front and 13.5" rear. I have a buddy with 275's on his +38 offset wheels, I should do a test fit and take some measurements to see how much room I have. I *might* be able to get away with a rolled fender and a set of +45 K1's.

Hopefully it's close enough that I can make it work by playing with the camber.

you may need stiffer springs, that is the height crystalhelix is running and he still gets some rubbing with his setup (that pokes). His setup is stiffer than yours as well.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
you may need stiffer springs, that is the height crystalhelix is running and he still gets some rubbing with his setup (that pokes). His setup is stiffer than yours as well.
Eh, then I'll settle for 255's.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
that may work.

the best answer is to find some 275 take offs for 100 bucks and see if they fit.

I may have some that will only be good for test fitting purposes if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
that may work.

the best answer is to find some 275 take offs for 100 bucks and see if they fit.

I may have some that will only be good for test fitting purposes if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer... but it's not worth the shipping costs. :) I'll just gank a mostly used set from my buddy and give them a try sometime. I have a place where I can mount and balance them myself, so cost isn't an issue.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
there ya go. Perfect :)

now the question is what wheels....

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
there ya go. Perfect :)

now the question is what wheels....
Aye, I'm restricting my track tires to 255 anyway, so I'll have a 17x9 in either +43 or +45 to test fit them on. For autocross I would like as much rubber as I can fit with my current setup. So I'll just use my track wheels and my buddy's +38 9" wide wheels for testing and measurements.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
yea once i find my ideal street wheels (18x8 +45mm)

the 18x8.5 gramLights will be the track wheels, either 255 or 265 max.

but for autox....haha :) that's a different story.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
T3h_Clap said:

I have my KW's installed and will be testing fitting my 275s in the next couple days. need to raise the car a little.

I'm not sure if the 17x9 +43mm will have enough inboard clearance for the KW's large spring perches.

I'll be testfitting the following wheels/tires in the near future or have test fitted.

17x8 +48mm 275/40 V710s (does NOT clear (at least it didn't in the rear when i had -2.2 degrees camber, will retest now with -1.7).
17x8 +53mm -15mm spacers
17x8 +53mm 245/40 A032Rs (doesn't clear in the rear (rubs on the strut housing).
17x9 +35mm 275/40 V710s
17x10 +35mm 275/40 V710s

the main issue with the KW's is going to be inboard clearance. you can raise the ride height to a point where it will stay off the tire 14" is a good spot.

as you see i've got plenty of locals with a 5x114.3 wheels and big tires, I just need to borrow them for a few minutes to test fit :)

Good information, thanks. I had no idea how the KWs stacked up againt other s sizewise. I look forward to hearing how the 275s fit on your KWs. Too bad none of your tests are with a 17x9+43. The 17x8+48 not fitting is not a good sign since thats an inch narrower so even if your lesser camber helps in your case, I doubt that it'd make up the extra half inch (-3mm) for a 17x9. I'd be curious how the 17x9+35mm fits inside the fender. Are your fender rolled or pulled?

Was the fit problem on the fronts, rears, or both? 14" isn't too far off stock ride height.

Thanks,
Doug

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
the fitment issue with the 17x8 +48mm was in the rear.

I still have those wheels and will test fit them with and without my 15mm spacers, to see if the less camber helped enough.

I forgot to include the 17x9 +43mm but I do believe that there is a set I could test fit from a friend at the Subaru Challenge.

since the KW's aren't the stiffest in the bunch you can't lower the car too much and have the tire stick out.

and my fenders are factory.

I'm not trying to stuff the wheel/tire under the car for autox purposes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
T3h_Clap said:
the fitment issue with the 17x8 +48mm was in the rear.

I still have those wheels and will test fit them with and without my 15mm spacers, to see if the less camber helped enough.

I forgot to include the 17x9 +43mm but I do believe that there is a set I could test fit from a friend at the Subaru Challenge.

since the KW's aren't the stiffest in the bunch you can't lower the car too much and have the tire stick out.

and my fenders are factory.

I'm not trying to stuff the wheel/tire under the car for autox purposes.
Thanks.

I wasn’t planning on lowering the car since I’ve read that the STi doesn’t handle as well with the car lowered with the resulting change in suspension geometry. My modifications are purely for track handling with no intent for bling.

So I have to ask, if you’re not doing this for autox(or track?), why are you trying to fit 275’s on your car? Seems a bit extreme for the street. IIRC from previous posts, you did do autox. Or do you mean you’re going to let the tires stick out beyond the fenders? But I thought you had KW’s as well? Or did you get stiffer springs for them? I guess I just haven’t read enough of your posts to know what you’re doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T3h_Clap said:

17x8 +53mm -15mm spacers
17x9 +35mm 275/40 V710s
17x10 +35mm 275/40 V710s
T3h_Clap, did you get the test fit at the Subaru Challenge? Curious to which of the combination fit on your KWs.

Also I was over a friends place playing with an 18x10 wheel he had just to get a look. I got my KWs but haven’t installed them and brought them along to check sizes. I looks like the clearance issue, on the fronts anyway, is where the spring rests on ride height adjuster. What my friend suggested was looking into shorter springs to move the ride height adjuster up and out of the way of the tire. He even had a shorter spring there though way too stiff for my use. Anybody look into this? I wonder if there’d be too much suspension travel which may cause a shorter spring to fully compress.

Went to the track again Monday and I’m really looking forward to getting some more stick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts