IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if people have been keeping track of the new AP that Cobb is gonna release in future but wondering if guys with current AP's are gonna sell before new one comes out.I just bought a used AP about a month ago & plan on selling it once car is put away for winter.Should be able to get my money out of it.Some of the things on the new AP coming out will be to nice not to have.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I don't forsee a mass sale of used ones.

Like myself, I wager that 90% of the owners out there flash their cars, then leave the AP in the basement for months and months....No reason to go thru the hassle of unmarrying, selling, then buying the new one, that is just going to flash the car, then sit in the basement for months and months.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
EricK said:
Not sure if people have been keeping track of the new AP that Cobb is gonna release in future but wondering if guys with current AP's are gonna sell before new one comes out.I just bought a used AP about a month ago & plan on selling it once car is put away for winter.Should be able to get my money out of it.Some of the things on the new AP coming out will be to nice not to have.
Why would you think we would sell our older ones? It is an item you will use a few times and probably never again.. The new one is really not much different than the current one except it is a bit more flashy. Dont let anyone tell you it will be faster in loading to the ECU. The OBD port on the car has not changed and is limited in speed....

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
2fas4u said:
Why would you think we would sell our older ones? It is an item you will use a few times and probably never again.. The new one is really not much different than the current one except it is a bit more flashy. Dont let anyone tell you it will be faster in loading to the ECU. The OBD port on the car has not changed and is limited in speed....
This statement is wrong. I know for a fact that the new AP flashes the ECU at least 10x quicker. Period. Please stop spreading this misinformation. The new AP does flash the ECU quicker. The problem isn't with the OBD protocol. It is with the older AP - and it's not really a problem - it's just that the older AccessPORT wasn't configured optimally for increased speed on flashing.

The old AccessPORT would take approximately 10-15 minutes to flash an updated base map on my ECU (~20-25 for the initial base map reflash). The new AP will do it in 1-2 minutes for an update. Using the do-it-yourself ECU flashing tools I can do a base map reflash with ignition, fueling, AVCS, etc in 30 seconds (just timed it last night).

t

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wolfplayer is correct.Also some new features that are gonna come out for the AP will not be available to the old unit.I for one do not want a old unit & not be able to use the possible anti-lag,two-step limiter & flat foot shift maps.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Thanks for the info this is the first I have heard of this concerning the speed of flashes. I still dont see the draw as I am not flashing maps every other day, but hey to each their own....

·
Registered
479 Posts
So when is the new one coming out? It sounds like a few people out there have beta units already. I'm finally going to get an AP in November or December. Would it be wise to wait a little longer for the newer version?

I've had my STi for over three years now, and it's still stock, so I can wait another month or two :lol:

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
EricK said:
Wolfplayer is correct.Also some new features that are gonna come out for the AP will not be available to the old unit.I for one do not want a old unit & not be able to use the possible anti-lag,two-step limiter & flat foot shift maps.
An anti lag map. WTF? Please explain.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
yeah, Cobb will come out with exciting new maps, which can be flashed using the old AP:tup:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
looks nice. I wonder if they will be more $?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.