IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru Rally Team USA Driver Mark Lovell and CoDriver Roger Freeman killed at the Oregon Trail Pro Rally:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390382

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Hopefully this isn't true- but if it is- may they rest in peace. I'm sure God will take care of them and give them a Scoobie up there to Rally. I'm really speechless at this point. I have met Lovell twice and Freeman once and I can tell you these are very geniunely nice guys who LOVED what they were doing.. :cry:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oregon AP Wire

Two crash during Oregon Trail Road Rally

07/13/2003

Associated Press

Two men participating in an Oregon Trail Road Rally event died Saturday morning when their car struck a tree, the Washington County Sheriff's Office said.

The accident occurred at 10:53 a.m. on a gravel road in Washington County maintained by the Oregon Department of Forestry.

The victims were the first to drive the course and had apparently gone about nine-tenths of a mile when they lost control and struck a tree, sheriff's deputies said. The car went airborne and settled in a ditch on the other side of the road.

The speed of the vehicle on impact could have ranged from 80 to 130 mph but investigators had not determined the exact speed.

Both victims were from England and were members of the pro-rally circuit. They were wearing helmets and all standard safety gear, deputies said.

The identities of the victims were not released pending notification of their families.

Much like certain aircraft, rally cars carry black boxes, which record engine information. Investigators recovered the vehicle's black box and were examining it.

Members of the Oregon State Police and the Washington County Interagency Crash Analysis and Reconstruction Team were assisting in the investigation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My thoughts and prayers to the families.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
http://www.swrt.com/415717.html

Statement on Mark Lovell and Roger Freeman
back

13 July 2003

Mark Lovell and his co-driver, Roger Freeman, were both tragically killed yesterday (Saturday) when their rally car left the road and struck a tree shortly after the start of the first stage of the Oregon Trail Rally in the USA. The two drivers were competing with Subaru Rally Team USA in the fourth round of the SCCA ProRally series.

Prodrive, which runs the team on behalf of Subaru USA, is working with the event organisers and the authorities to establish what led to the accident. Next of kin for both families have been informed.

David Richards, chairman of Prodrive, said: "Everyone at Prodrive is shocked at the news. Mark and Roger have been a part of the team at Prodrive for many years and they will both be sorely missed. Our thoughts and sympathies are with both families and friends."

Mark and Roger first drove together in the British Rally Championship in 1986 when they won the series in a Ford RS200. The two renewed their partnership earlier this season to drive for Subaru in the US series.

Mark had been a part of the Subaru Rally Team USA since the beginning of 2001, winning the championship that year. Roger had also worked with Prodrive for many years, previously co-driving Japanese driver Toshihiro Arai in the World Rally Championship.

Team Sporting Manager, David Campion, said, "Today is the saddest day's rallying I can ever remember. I have been competing with both Mark and Roger for twenty years now and for their careers to be cut short like this is a tragic, tragic blow. Both were complete professionals in their preparation and approach to what they regarded as a life-long passion. Words cannot describe the feelings of everyone within the team from Subaru, STI and Prodrive. What more can I add to say, except that both have left a huge gap in the team. Our thoughts are with Julie and Alison and their children at this time."

·
Registered
631 Posts
*sighs*Crap like this really stinks. Ya know, we all know that it's part of the game and that it's a risk they we ALL take everytime we get behind the wheel, but you just hate to see it happen. That's 3 deaths in the last month for SOA.....

Sympathies for all who knew them....

·
Registered
359 Posts
My though go out the the families of these two great representatives for the sport of rally racing! deepest regrets.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Security System Interface Information

Oh man...I can't believe this...I was just out for lunch and I let my coworker drive my WRX, and showed him my rally cap that I had Petter Solberg and later Mark Lovell sign. My prayers go out to the families as well as the Subaru rally extended family. Mark and Roger, hope you're tearin it up up there! Just try not to scare the Big Guy too much ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Man this really sucks! How did driver skilled like that hit a tree so soon after the race started? Was there something wrong with the car? Whether they were Subaru's drivers or not, it was a great lost of their talent, dedication & charm. I cannot speak more. May God take good care of their families.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts