IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manifold is cracked again, i have a Megan Racing turbo manifold and its cracked on the bottom just below the flexpipe where all the piping connects.
This is the second manifold i've gone thru with Megan.

Decided to go with a different one but cant figure out which to go with. Any Suggestions? Aps looks nice, gpmotmo i like, just cant narrow it down to a certain one, thanks for the help

-Dan

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just now noticed how Megan is a chicks name. I wish I could help, I do not have enough knowledge in the manifold area. However APS is a great all around quality company

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i'm going to give xxtuning a call and see what they recommend. Chances are Aps.

A little pricey but i'm sure it won't crack.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The APS looks good but I've never seen one in person. I did install a DC sports header in my friends s13 and the build quality was awesome. The DC header has a tru merge collector and the up pipe is 5mm bigger diameter plus its unequal length, for people who want to keep the rumble.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
The APS Header on a Stage II STi almost always makes 350+ wtq, it's the ONLY header I would ever recommend over the stock manifold - because it actually WORKS.

- Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
XXChris said:
The APS Header on a Stage II STi almost always makes 350+ wtq, it's the ONLY header I would ever recommend over the stock manifold - because it actually WORKS.

- Chris
Hey Chris! Good to see you on IWSTI :tup:

(It's Carlos, by the way :) )

·
Registered
335 Posts
XXChris said:

- Chris
When I got protuned a guy had borla headers and on his baseline run he made 330ftlbs. Mine was 340 after the tune. I think any header is good as long as the quality is high. I don't want to replace an expensive header constantly cause it keeps cracking. My recomendation is the DC part. The s13header had support brackets and was very robust in its build. I don't think they will crack anytime soon. I really like the APS header also, but its much more expensive, plus they need to get shipped here from Austrailia and DC I think is based in Ca.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
went down to xx and got the APS Header. didnt have time to take pictures but it is a sick setup. Should have done this in the first place.

With the new manifold in it makes the exhaust sound so different. I have the Invidia G200. before with the megan racing manifold it had a rumble to it, now its a little softer and doesnt have the same sound, however it does seem like it picked up alot more power.

My next question is do i have to get the car retuned now because of the new manifold. I had it protuned about 2 months ago. will this change anything with the new manifold or is it worth the extra money to squeeze more hp?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
A buddy of mine had a set of HKS headers on his wrx that cracked in less then a year.

·
Registered
567 Posts
burnin4 said:

I was looking at those comparisons...

The humidity is definetly a factor that needs to be considered and it looks like number 6 and 11 had a little knock hence the torque drop in the middle/top of the power band.....or could have been the boost control too...

I havent had a Suby yet make a identical pull without anychanges UNLESS its on an openlooped Standalone EMS...Food for thought...anything is better than stock...I would stick with the choice that doesnt have a history of cracking over power gain.....

Howard

·
Registered
745 Posts
Aftermarket manifolds are for off road use. There for daily driven weather conditions and heat fluctuations cause the metal to crack doesn't matter what metal it is that is the nature of metal. Doesn't Megan have a warranty??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea, hopefully some kind of warantee. Going to take some pictures and email to them, maybe get a new one and sell on ebay or something, but i'm done with them as far as i'm concerned

1 - 20 of 22 Posts