IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my infinite wisdom I waited until my area was hit with the season's first nor'easter to put the snow tires on my car. I didn't go to work today for fear of sliding off the road numerous times, but I had an appointment to install my Blizzak LM-22s at a nearby tire shop, so I felt I could brave the elements for the 2 miles to get there....

I slid into two intersections, spun the wheels at every touch of the accelerator, and slid around pretty much every turn. Think I counted about 50 ABS pulses in those two miles :) , so needless to say for those of you who are wondering if the stock tires will cut it in the winter weather I would strongly advise against it! (At least for those on the east coast/northeast with our wonderful mix of snow, slush, and lots of black ice)

On the positive side, after nearly soiling my pants on the drive to the tire shop I was very impressed with the Blizzaks in the snow on the way home (duh). The traction is much, much better with no spinning wheels on acceleration (well, at least with normal throttle application, we do after all drive a 300hp car :wink: ). The turning and stopping performance is amazing in it's contrast to the stock tires in this weather (duh again). Like many have said before, I'm going to have to watch myself so I don't stop so quickly that I get rear ended by a large SUV. Also my perception, considering the two miles I've driven on them so far, is that the tires ride both smoother and quieter than the Potenzas. So all in all, I'd say I was a very happy customer in regards to my new snow tires and I would recommend them to anyone needing a balance of dry road performance and snow prowess.

Now to find some empty parking lot, play with the DCCD, and "learn the handling characteristics" of the Suby in it's element! :eek:

By the way, they are mounted on my stock BBSs because I ran out of patience looking and calling all of the wheel distributors trying to find a wheel that is actually in stock (my fault for waiting so long of course).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course I knew, I was just adding my personal experience/opinion on the matter, and to also comment on the Blizzaks I had installed, because before today I had no experience of the tires in these conditions, nor what a incredible difference some appropriate tires makes...my friends and family have grown tired listening to me rant and rave about my car, so I figured the forum would be a good place to relay my afternoon of exitement to fellow STi owners.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
THe Potenzas if that is how you spell them, have a very very very stiff sidewall. Did I mention that it was very stiff? This obviously transmits the road throughout the entire suspension and steering wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought Dunlop WinterSport M3 runflats. I'm sure their sidewalls have to be at least as stiff as the stock Bridgestones. I'll assume it's pretty safe to say they are stiffer too. I haven't felt the stock tires off the rims, but I did get to check out the Dunlop tires off the rims (before they were mounted). The sidewalls were incredibly stiff, and I think they run quieter then the stock tires also.

I think I'll try to find something less noisy for next summer.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Run flat tires would have to have incredibly stiff sidewalls, what do you think supports the weight when the tire is flat? I wonder how much/if the non-runflats are quieter than the runflat versions of the same tire?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rules! Pay Attention!!

I'm wondering about how much you paid to get just tires replaced. I aint got the dough now to get new tires too. Lucky for me, VA just got a lot of slush/rain mix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I payed about $650 for 4 Blizzak LM-22s in the stock size including shipping from Tire Rack. It was about $130 to have them installed on the stock rims.

·
Registered
22 Posts
good tire choice man, rocking the same blizzaks here and they are amazing....

-Jay

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice inside PigSTI..... good to hear that nothing serious happen to your STI. Good luck w/ your new tire set-up. 8)

·
Registered
85 Posts
PigSti,

enjoyed your first-hand experience with the 070 in the slick. i always kinda wonder well... just how much do they REALLY suck in the snow? i think it has sumthin to do with the human response to "DONT TRY THIS OR ELSE!" :) its our natural curiosity and desire to explore limits especially when everyone says DONT DO THIS! anyway,sounds like they really do suck in the snow! lol!! course it hasn't snowed here in fifty years :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Nivek-CA said:
THe Potenzas if that is how you spell them, have a very very very stiff sidewall. Did I mention that it was very stiff? This obviously transmits the road throughout the entire suspension and steering wheel.
Is the sidewall stiff at all? :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts