IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '05 STi. Currently running EcuTek, ram air, APS 3.5 TBE, walboro Fuel pump, Greddy Profec ebc and some other stuff..
However my car is awsome on cool nights- it is when it's hot and gets heatsoak that it will stop pulling (when still boosting the same amt as usual) which i attribute to knock correction, etc... but I distinctly remember my buddies sti w/ roughly same mods always being pretty consistent- more so then mine..
Any suggestions?
I've really been thinking about going Cobb AP (protune) and giving up ecutek.. I've also been thinking about meth injection..
Also I think the Perrin Boost Solenoid would benefit me by getting me boost earlier and holding it longer..

Any suggestions would be awsome!

Thanks, Jake.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Maybe an Injen FMIC would help with the heatsoak, but that is about all you can do besides wrapping everything and meth/water injection. This is just a problem with turbo'd cars, they don't run nearly as good as when it's cold out. If you go as far as getting a FMIC though, i wouldn't recommend the Injen one unless you are going to for sure stay with the stock turbo, it's just too small for anything else. I would recommend the Perrin FMIC, and then after that get your fuel mods and get a turbo, that will help your power output on hot days :)

And as for the boost solenoid, the EBC is what helps spool and holding boost, i doubt a different solenoid will hel much over the EBC. A solenoid will help over the stocker, but if you already have an EBC i think that's about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
twiSTies said:
whats this "ram air" that you speak of?
SS autochrome.. a piece of junk i picked up from an iwsti memeber in Colorado.. which speaking of I'll be replacing.

As far as meth injection which I'm going to do next month will I need additional tuning or?

If I get heat wrap and such what kind should I get.. I would also assume I would have to remove most of the components I would heat wrapping to assure it's done right.. right? or could i wrap it without taking apart DP, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
dubrexer said:
SS autochrome.. a piece of junk i picked up from an iwsti memeber in Colorado.. which speaking of I'll be replacing.

As far as meth injection which I'm going to do next month will I need additional tuning or?

If I get heat wrap and such what kind should I get.. I would also assume I would have to remove most of the components I would heat wrapping to assure it's done right.. right? or could i wrap it without taking apart DP, etc?

Thanks!
Ah ok. Replace it with an APS CAI.

Yes, you will want additional tuning with the meth.

You can get a pre-made turbo wrap kit from Robert at Static X for the stock turbo for $30-40. You can also then get a heat shield from speedmonkee or cusco. You will want to remove the dp to heatwrap it. You can wrap the turbo without removing it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good i'll hit up static x for that any suggestion on the type of wrap for the downpipe? should i wrap the headers?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
dubrexer said:
sounds good i'll hit up static x for that any suggestion on the type of wrap for the downpipe? should i wrap the headers?
static x will have the wrap for the dp too.

aftermarket headers, get coated first. you can choose to wrap them too if you want, but be weary of cracking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twiSTies said:
static x will have the wrap for the dp too.

aftermarket headers, get coated first. you can choose to wrap them too if you want, but be weary of cracking.
so there's no sense in wrapping the stockers?

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
if you don't feel like adding a fmic and a cai with a new tune,
then add meth...

go for all three and you'll be quite happy :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The stock header has some heat shielding already around it. I'm getting ready to do meth injection. That is why I have Doug coming out this way. Even if you upgrade to a larger intercooler and other stuff, your car is still not going to like the heat. Its just the way it is with turbo cars. I have upgraded my thermostat, added water wetter, run a Perrin FMIC, and I still have issues with my car pulling timing in this summer heat. Its just hard to get around it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts