IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some people give me some reason why an Sti would be much better that any EVO? I kinda have an affair with the EVO right now and I want to get rid of this betrayal right :cry: away!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you driven the STi yet? That was my main selling point over the EVO. When I drove the evo it felt like it had cut springs. I'm sure its performance and part of why the evo handles better on slalom and skidpad, but for me looking at a daily driver that I can play with, the ride was VERY important. That and if the horsepower you feel in the STi doesnt, know that the extra .5 liters in the STi will make more power under mods, along with the fact that the Evo is already pushing 19psi and the STi only 14.5.

Plus, Subaru has been doing 4-wheel/AWD for A LONG TIME. They know what they are doing, and IMO have a better AWD system than the Evo (at least whats offered here in the states for sure)

I've done A LOT of research before deciding between the Evo and the STi .. it gave me the biggest headache I've ever had over choosing a car.

My advice .. drive them both (same day back to back if you can) .. tell the salesman to shut up and let you drive .. if he wants your business, he/she will respect your need to compare the cars. Dont compare each car at 6000+ rpm either if its a daily car because you know you wont be driving the car like that day-in day-out.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Go test drive the STi. A test drive is worth a 1000 words.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I chose STI over evo for a few reasons....
1. The drivetrain layout seemed more sound to me: although I am not any sort of engineer, for a awd car B4 longitudional engine/transmission seems it would have advantages to IL4 transverse
2. Looks: this is obiviously personal
3. Resale: you can already find evos on autotrader from time to time for about $27K, STis' do not go below $31k.
4. Reliability....I know people are having a lot of of issues with older eclipses', but the 2.5rs's from about the same time seem to be holding up better
5. Build quality: to me the STi felt less cheap.
6. The fact the STi is makeing more power: I intend to keep this car stock, so this was important to me
7. Ride:I do drive this car everyday with my kids in the back seat.
reasons I considered the evo over the STi...
1. The radio
2. Handleing
3. Price
Keep in mind that these are strictly my impressions, and are not based on any facts. I looked at both really hard and fully understand the pluses and minuses of each car. Also realise I was an avid honda/acura person and had no particular loyality to either brand when I started shopping.

·
Registered
154 Posts
More pro STi:

1. six speed tranny - makes freeway crusing much nicer (EVO was very buzzy)

2. Cruise Control - see above

3. Low end Imprezas are still pretty cool; the plain old Lancer is garbage (who you rather be mistaken for?)

4. Evo has Altezza tail lights - prob the ugliest rear end since Rozanne

5. Subaru wisely allowed me to chose my own radio/ICE

6. rain + EVO hood vent = steam city (Dude, your car's on fire...)

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Holy grap, guys. . . this debate has been covered in like 20928734 threads, already.

Someone use the search button. . . quick! :p

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
uuuuummmm, here's one: evo owners come check out MY car and not vice versa. plain and simple. not to mention some guys were bowing to my car when i rolled by starbucks the other night....and yes, that did actually happen :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
No doubt, use the search button. Or just go test drive the cars instead of reading biased opinions from both sides.

dmacalot said:
uuuuummmm, here's one: evo owners come check out MY car and not vice versa. plain and simple. not to mention some guys were bowing to my car when i rolled by starbucks the other night....and yes, that did actually happen :D
:roll:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yukonart said:
Holy grap, guys. . . this debate has been covered in like 20928734 threads, already.

Someone use the search button. . . quick! :p
Hmm. By my count, it's only 20928728 threads. I must be missing a few.

:roll:

·
Registered
454 Posts
tecnic1 said:
3. Resale: you can already find evos on autotrader from time to time for about $27K, STis' do not go below $31k.
I bought my STi new for under $31k, so I wouldn't agree with that one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DrEvyl said:
tecnic1 said:
I bought my STi new for under $31k, so I wouldn't agree with that one.
I agree. Take a look at the sticky pointing out dealers selling at invoice, under 30k. A few of them here in the Northeast b/c of the lovely winter weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the lucky chance to meet a friend of a friend one night who owned an EVO...I kept hearing about his car until I met him and he kept hearing about mine so it was good that we met. Especially since most of the people that me and this guy are friends with drive riced out hondas and the other half are complete V8 nuts. Believe me I get to see some great debates. Personally to tell you the truth I dislike most "suped up" imports on the road, I prefer american muscle cars but every so often an import comes along that I fall in love with...The STI is that import.
Secondly, You won't find me badmouthing the EVO in this post..I really like the car, I'll just tell you about my experience. He took me for a ride in his EVO and then i took him for a ride in my STI. Right off the bat if you were a passenger in an STI and then hopped right into an EVO you would think that the EVO is a much faster car. Low end the car does not have much torque at all. When that turbo kicks though, you literally get thrown back into your seat. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in a stock 4 cylinder. Its very impressive. Im a big fan of the EVO itself but the interior isnt something I really enjoyed that much. I took him for a ride in my STI and he was very suprised at the level of power this car has at any speed, regardless of whether the turbo is spooled in or not. Overall I think stock for stock regardless of what car you purchased, you would not be a sucker, personally I would recommend the STI, I just think its a better car but its up to you.
Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
ss3homer said:
Can some people give me some reason why an Sti would be much better that any EVO? I kinda have an affair with the EVO right now and I want to get rid of this betrayal right :cry: away!
can't really give you any major ones, they are too closely matched imho. if money aint an issue then get the evo. if it is then why make a lateral move when your already sitting on one mean machine? look at it this way, kick back for now and see where these two end up. maybe in a few years from now they will have 350 or 400hp stock :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts