IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
Ooooh does that mean you're getting the smoked ones?? :)

I've been craving to see them installed before I bite the bullet.
I really want to get the smoked ones. I'm just having a hard time with figuring out the state vehicle code. It's too vague for this set up and I could probably argue my way out of any ticket if I take it to court, but do I really want to spend that time later down the road? And what do I do with the smoked ones if it turns out that they are illegal?

Registered
I really want to get the smoked ones. I'm just having a hard time with figuring out the state vehicle code. It's too vague for this set up and I could probably argue my way out of any ticket if I take it to court, but do I really want to spend that time later down the road? And what do I do with the smoked ones if it turns out that they are illegal?

I hear ya. We don't have any rules for it either. I know this saying doesnt stand on legal grounds, but we have countless others running dark tails without issues. There are even some you can't see them brake which is just stupid. Since the valenti are pretty bright, I figure if they're not having issues then I won't either. The Valenti are pretty bright and visible compared to those who paint the lens of their tails.

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
I hear ya. We don't have any rules for it either. I know this saying doesnt stand on legal grounds, but we have countless others running dark tails without issues. There are even some you can't see them brake which is just stupid. Since the valenti are pretty bright, I figure if they're not having issues then I won't either. The Valenti are pretty bright and visible compared to those who paint the lens of their tails.
So here's what I'm working with:

40-8-26. Standards for brake lights and signal devices

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(1) A brake light on the rear which shall emit a red light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a taillight; and

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a brake light or other signal lights, such light or lights shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No brake light or signal light shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

(c) All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times mentioned in Code Section 40-8-20.

(d) All lenses on brake lights and signal devices shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.

Registered
So here's what I'm working with:

40-8-26. Standards for brake lights and signal devices

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(1) A brake light on the rear which shall emit a red light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a taillight; and

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a brake light or other signal lights, such light or lights shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No brake light or signal light shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

(c) All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times mentioned in Code Section 40-8-20.

(d) All lenses on brake lights and signal devices shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.
I think you would be good. Since we have a hatch, the third brake light would be stock function and meet all those criteria. If you want extra brake lights just to be sure, you could always install the reflector brake lights like I did. As for the turn signal, from what I've seen, they seem to be brighter than the brake lights on all Valenti tails. Reading that, I would go for it if I were in your shoes.

...and I'm not just saying that because I want to see a smoked tail installed, haha! :lol:

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Last night I was starting to lean more towards the red ones just to be safe. But I keep going back and forth on it. I guess worse thing is I get pulled over and they tell me it's illegal. Then I sell them to somebody on here or nasioc and get the red ones?

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Sounds like a plan, do eeeet!
Fine! Done! I deeeeeed it. I'm going on leave starting Thursday so I'm having them ship the lights to my mom's house in Louisiana. Once I get them installed, my brother is going to take some pictures for me. He's got some crazy camera stuff since he's a sports photographer and editor for the local paper. AAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Can't wait!

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
Alrigthy, it's finally time! Just opened the box with my new valenti smoked tail lights. They look pretty bad ass. I have to stop by advance auto to get a box of t-tap connectors so I can reconnect my bumper reflector lights then I'll get started on this little project. More better gooder pictures to follow. For now, here's a little teaser.

Registered
Alrigthy, it's finally time! Just opened the box with my new valenti smoked tail lights. They look pretty bad ass. I have to stop by advance auto to get a box of t-tap connectors so I can reconnect my bumper reflector lights then I'll get started on this little project. More better gooder pictures to follow. For now, here's a little teaser.

[URL=http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah7/stevenjoelanderson/My%20baby/Exterior%20Lights/IMG_20150213_081359_zps0c500d80.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]
giggity

Registered
Discussion Starter #75
So, the Valenti tail lights were almost a success. Everything installed really smoothly except for the turn signal lights don't work in the passenger side. I had to call fastwrx.com and they are sending out a replacement on Monday.

Other than that, these lights are brighter and more visible than the factory ones. They are flat out amazing. I decided not to use the splice connectors that they came with and instead use the same type of t-tap connectors as the bumper reflector lights so that I could just unplug them if I ever needed to. Also, these lights are quite a bit brighter than the stock lights in the daytime. Not near as much glare.

So in light of (pun intended) the damn turn signals, here are some day time pictures. And yes, my car is dirty. Don't judge me. I'll try to take some pictures tonight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #76
Ok, so funny thing. I went to hook the non-working tail light up to take some night pics, and of course the damn turn signal started working. So it's got to be a loose connection somewhere. I'll have to call fastwrx back tomorrow and see what they want to do.

But here is my attempt at night pictures. These things are insanely bright at night, so decent pictures are almost impossible to get. I'll have to research how to get night pics to work when there is that much light being put out.

This one is just with the lights turned on, but with flash

The rest are all without the flash. Guess I should have stuck with using flash?

So after looking at these pictures. There shouldn't be any issue with complying with the state laws for visibility of 300ft during the day and 500 feet at night. I dare the cops to challenge me!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #78
Looks good!!

Any problems connecting the inner tails? Do you have to run wire to the license plate light or third brake lights? How did that work?
The inner lights were a breeze. Red wire taps into 3rd brake light and blue wire taps into license plate light. Plenty of wire for both. The directions are all in Japanese, but the pictures show everything you need to know. I would recommend using t-tap connectors instead of the supplied end splice connectors. Just in case you ever need to take them out.

Also start the inner most bolt first. The gasket on these seem better/thicker and the outer bolts will start to lift up the inner one.

I also was able to run the blue wire inside the door to the license plate lights.

Word of warning: make sure what wire you tap into or you might find your hatch coming open when you hit the brakes. Ask me how I know.

Other than that you just have to redo your connections for the bumper reflector lights. Piece of cake. Sit back and enjoy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
@_(*EM_D*@[email protected]*$%_(*@#!_

And of course I go outside this morning to check the turn signal and it isn't working again. Really wish I could figure this thing out so I don't have to drive around with one stock tail lamp. But I'm not much of an electrical troubleshooter. Jiggling wires, unplugging and plugging back in is about the extent of my expertise. Resistor gets hot like it's supposed to when I turn on the hazards, but there's some kind of disconnect between the resistor and the turn signal wires. Guess I'll have to try my hand and messing with a multimeter.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts