IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do on a Lazy Labor day?

How about making some Fender Cowl braces!:)

Flimsy, stock piece, ready for removal!!
(ps this piece is so weak, i can distort the shape with my hand!):eek:

removed, plates installed

brace tacked in

welded and painted

Right Side

Left side

Turned out pretty good, my buddy's garage/workshop is pretty awesome!!:banana: :disco:

Gonna test out the results at this weekend's AutoX practice!!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Good job, I like seeing a good DIY job :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
How hard is it to remove the fender? It seems that most people that buy these work underneath the fender instead of taking it off. Obviously, since you made yours, you had to take off the fender, but when I buy a pair, I am wondering if it is worth the effort to take them off. BTW, that is a really clean DIY job. Nice and classy. I like how you painted them even though you will never see them. Nice touch.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
it's really not that bad to install pre-made braces like tic's w/o removing the fender. the only issue is gettin the oem one out. i'd try it w/o removing the fender first. if you can't break the bolts loose, remove the fender.

·
3,296 Posts
Word of advice - pay attention to the bolt you're working on and not the hot w1mmenz (a la like the one in lokutus1's signature) that stop by to visit your roommate like i did. Now I HAVE to remove the fender since I turned one of the bolts the wrong way a few dozen too many times and now it's stuck. :(

If you don't do something stupid like that then it's super easy to just remove part of the fender liner and install em. ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Titanium..........I likeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Be carefull about just welding square stock to flat pieces. Your stress is not distributed like it is on the stock one. Most of your stress concentration is on the welds now and that is not good. That is a huge stree riser. You want to distribute that to as wide an area as possible.

Did you use aluminum or steel for this job?? How much do they weigh compared to the stock ones??

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I like them alot! If it works out well for you, I would definatly continue to make these with instructions and sell them. I'm an entrepreneur, what can i say? These cost you maybe what? 10 bucks to make? Well sell em' at 20 and thats 100% profit. Sell them to a couple hundread people and you've got your self a perrin gt35r. I'm rambling, sorry :D.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'll buy some. :tup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.