IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok question for you guys! I know this might have been discussed but i just want to know ok who makes a 2" drop for our cars, and wouldnt have any rubbing issues??? The look im trying to get is the wheel sorta not really tucked in the wheel weld sorta like the M3's and M5's

Any help would be apperciated

thanks
Amir

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see, no i know well i want both worlds and i know thats going to be impossible, but the pinks and the eibachs arent as low as i wanted..., i do enjoy the bumpy ride that kills your back after a few hours driving, it just gives me the feeling of driving a sports car. so i guess id like to keep that too.....any other setups that can do this too with a 2" drop?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ground Control has a new kit aaaaand pretty camber plates!

But be forwarned, the car doesen't like being too low...

If you like that racecar feel, throw a set of 300 pound springs in and you're good to go. :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol yea im not to fond of the coil overs.....but who makes 300lb springs with a nice drop???

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothen really, i just think it gets annoying that you have to adjust the springs everytime you feel like driving, and its hard to get a perfect adjustment, thats all...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Test Drive

"you have to adjust the springs everytime you feel like driving"

Huh? I'm not sure I understand that statement.

Setting ride height is very simple, all you need is a tape measure and some flat ground. The only thing that can be time consuming is corner weighting, and unless you really know how it works ,not necessary.

Basically you set-em and forget-em. Unless you're going off road of course. :wink:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not mean it that way, what i was trying to say is that, when you go out for a drive and you hit corners hard, the coilovers tend to lose there adjustments, is this not correct?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got three sets on three cars and have never had that experience.

The coilovers on my Mr2 are 6 years old/same settings.

If the assembly is of quality, this will not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah ok i see, sorry if my last few posts made no sence, i was sorta on hold on the phone and figured i could type, but i lost my train of thought =) But getting back to this issue, i love coilovers and i just kept hearing horrible storys from some friends of mine that keep tellen me to avoid coilovers! But i think i might go with the ground control setup becasue A.the price is descent and B they come with eibach springs......I personally want the same ride that the car gives now but just at a lower stance and i would like it not to roll out like it does in fast and hard cornering.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
corner WEIGHTING, not waiting, is scaling the car to make sure you have the same weight left to right/front to rear. this is one of the most important things you can do to make a car handle the same in both directions. bear in mind, it needs to be done w/ the driver in the car, and some gas in the tank. people always talk about camber, caster, toe, etc, but getting the weights right will really help as well. read mark donahue's book "unfair advantage" someday. he makes a huge point about how big of a discovery checking and setting corner weights was for penske back in the 60's.

dropping a car 2" will do nothing for handling, at least nothing good. the car is designed w/ a set amount of suspension travel, and when you use up that much of w/ shorter springs, i'll bet you won't like the way it corners. camber plates might help, but you may want to talk to jay over at ground control, or someone at sel and see what they think. looks are one thing, but you still have to drive the car.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
4kornrz said:
Ground Control has a new kit aaaaand pretty camber plates!

But be forwarned, the car doesen't like being too low...

If you like that racecar feel, throw a set of 300 pound springs in and you're good to go. :D
300 lb/in is actually pretty darn soft for a race setup. I had 500 lb/in springs on my last car which made the swaybars almost superfluous, and it kicked butt most of the time, -but the ride was not exactly comfortable. This was in a car that weighed 700 lbs less than an STi.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wonder who makes springs that hard??? btw i was thinken about the tein setup, considering its like a 1.6" drop....then again tein has a pretty awsome name too

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol not a problem bro! =)

·
Registered
84 Posts
300 lb/in is actually pretty darn soft for a race setup.

...that race car "feel".

The STI's my daily driver. I live in the mountains, 500# springs would kill me. :D

NorCal, Do you know Jay personally? We may have met, He's helped me with all my cars over the past ten years or so.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey 4kornrz,
i knew his younger brother pretty well, and i had a pretty good friend that used to work for him back when i had them do my civic, in maybe '92-'93. they used to have their shop in the town i live in, but have long since moved, and i haven't seen any of those guys since. funny thing, another friend owns a car audio shop, and he moved into ground control's space when they left, so i keep spending money in the same building.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Beleive it or not his brother is still running around in the old 280Z.

Would your friend happen to have been Beau Kelly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts