IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased an 09 wrx 5door. It's main purpose is my daily driver so i dont need a super stiff ride. I'll never put this car on a track or an autox. I was looking into lowering the vehicle because I don't like the gap in the front wheel (I didn't think the gap in the back was terrible) but can't afford coilovers with the short struts that improve shock travel. Couple of questions below:

Does the 08-09 STI sit lower than the 09 WRX?

Can i lower the car with the 08/09 springs from the STI 5-door? are 08/09
Sti's the same?

Would they fit without any special modification?

Has anyone done this adn if so any pics?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
You should just look into the Swift springs made for your car. They will be matched to your stock struts/shocks perfectly and lower the car a bit. The STI springs would not be ideal.

Tony

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should just look into the Swift springs made for your car. They will be matched to your stock struts/shocks perfectly and lower the car a bit. The STI springs would not be ideal.

Tony
Tony,
In your opinion, Why would the STi springs not be ideal for the 09 WRX?
Sitting side by side, the STi springs are a little lower(I'll measure later), and the spring #'s are very close to the same (08 STi f-217,r-194) (09 WRX f-216,r-193).

I would put these(STi's)on my WRX right now if I did not have this broken leg to deal with.
Both sets are sitting in my garage right now.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Oh, I was thinking 08 wrx. Forgot the 09 had the STI suspension on it. From what we have heard the springs are suposed to be the same on the STI and 09 wrx. Sounds like they are not though.

The only thing I would do is check the amount of bump travel on the 09 wrx to make sure you are not riding on the bump stops. Other than that, it should be fine.

Tony

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just measured the difference between the 09 WRX springs and the 08 STi springs .
Measuring the springs sitting on the ground with a centimeter stick touching the ground to the tip of the top front coil spring.

STi =23 cm
WRX=25.2 cm

Fronts are different.

Rear springs appear to be of equal/same height(no difference)for each model

I'll e mail the pics to someone who can post them here.

e mail me your addy to [email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tony, is that confirmed the 09 wrx has the 08 sti springs on it already?

or

the 08 sti front springs are about 2.2cm lower than the 09 wrx front spring? (free standing spring I mean). that doesnt seem like much of a difference for a free standing spring.

·
Registered
308 Posts
interesting that STi fronts are shorter free length- I would have actually guessed them to be a little taller due to the heavier drive train ( 6 speed) as they sport what appears to be the same spring rates.

I was also under the impression the ride heights were the same for the new STi and WRX-maybe they aren't?

the factory ride heights for the WRX are 387/375mm f/r- anyone have the fsm for the STi by chance?

Brack- sent you an email :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi all,

I recently purchased an 09 wrx 5door. It's main purpose is my daily driver so i dont need a super stiff ride. I'll never put this car on a track or an autox. I was looking into lowering the vehicle because I don't like the gap in the front wheel (I didn't think the gap in the back was terrible) but can't afford coilovers with the short struts that improve shock travel. Couple of questions below:

Sti's the same?

Thanks.
Like tony says get some swift springs that are made for your car, but don't lower it too much

Personally I would not lower the car for apperance reasons. you usually wind up messing up the handling.

My son has an 09 wrx and it handles really well, except at the very limit where my 08 STI has an advantage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all,

Sti's the same?

Thanks.
I'll be getting the 08 STi springs installed on my 09 WRX Wednesday morning.

I'll report here,my findings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
excellent! btw, can you take photos of your wheel gaps before and after install? BTW, do you have the oem WRX wheels? thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So.... The STi springs are on my car, but I did not have the stock WRX springs on last so, I have no before measurement.

The measurement now is from center of centercap to wheel well arch;
DF-14 3/4ths"
PF-14 7/8ths"
DR- 15 1/8th"
P R- 15 1/16th"

from wheel lip to wheel well arch;
DF 5 1/4"
PF 5 1/2"
DR 5 3/4"
PR 5 5/8"
This is with stock wheels/tires

BIGSKYWRX may post some pictures.

·
Registered
308 Posts
from oe WRX ride heights you lowered the front by ~ 10mm, the rears however raised ~ 8mm

it's possible you could see some settling- I'd give it a couple of days of driving (if your able to drive yet :)) and measure again

·
Registered
83 Posts
from oe WRX ride heights you lowered the front by ~ 10mm, the rears however raised ~ 8mm

it's possible you could see some settling- I'd give it a couple of days of driving (if your able to drive yet :)) and measure again
Well. I just drove it home from Portland to Seaside (80 miles) before I measured it.
Tomorrow it gets aligned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can tell the front is lower than my stock and the rear looks higher. even though the numbers don't sound like much difference. here's the measurements on my stock 09 (same OEM wheels/tires as shown in your pics). My guess is it needs a few days to settle.

centercap to edge of wheel arch
df 15 3/8
pf 15 1/4
dr 14 3/4
pr 14 3/4

wheel lip to wheel arch
df 6 1/8
pf 6 1/8
dr 5 3/8
pr 5 1/2

thanks for the information!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll fill my car with gas tomorrow, and re measure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
are you seats the same seats used in the sedan? (dumb question) If it is are you interested in selling it or trades?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts