IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just wanted to start by saying that I love the STi and just about everything about it - I can't wait till I can pick up mine. I like the big wing, the oversized hood scoop, the gold rims - I think it wouldn't be a true STi without them, but... What is with the cheesy steering wheel? The silver plastic-look is very tacky - looks like it belongs on a Powerwheels toy. It says in the press release that it was designed by the Subaru rally team - this is what they came up with?

I would like to switch the STi wheel for my WRX wheel (which looks pretty good), but then I think twice because I am a purist and think it is sacralege to change the appearance of this beautiful car in anyway. I guess i will have to get used to it - it wouldn't look so bad if the wheel was at least all black.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would agree, I am very sceptic to the steering wheel as well, although id like to see it and feel it in real to make a better call, but as much as ive seen over pictures im not too impressed.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The S202 is a nice looking wheel. I don't think it has an airbag does it? It doesn't look big enough.

How difficult/expensive is it to take a car that has airbags and retrofit a momo/sparco/etc wheel to it? You see them all the time in racecars and show cars. I wouldn't want to do that with the STi wheel, but with a Type-R.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh yeah.....check out all the dials! Man, you could turn on all your neons, blow the air bags, and toggle the fake BOV all without taking your hands off the wheel!! :wink:

I dunno, I really like the "look" of the STi wheel....but I'm afraid it's going to feel hollow and cheap. I'm waiting to be surprised though.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
MYSTi said:
The silver plastic-look is very tacky...
personally, i dislike the silver plastic accents used throughout the interior: the wheel, the center console, etc. i while ago, i found a japanese website that had replacements pieces for all those silver parts.

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/impreza/catalog/wrx-s/wrx-s_inte.html

this might be one of the first mods i make.

did any else look at the 350z wheel and get that salty watery mouth feeling you get before you toss your lunch? man, that car is beautiful that the wheel is so wacked. it's got those cheapo-looking skinny rectangular buttons for cruise etc. totally messed up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope that a replacement wheel, as well as replacement dash panels, will be offered through Subaru America and Canada to replace the silver plastic that will not involve that carbon fiber crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts