IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm a new Subie owner in San diego. it's the first Subie I've ever had it's an 08 STI hatch. 157k miles on it.

so I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to mechanical issues but I started putting my nose into this after I got my car. so after 3k miles of driving the car, i decided to buy an AP and an SF intake and airbox. I installed those and after started data logging. I noticed that I'm only getting 8 psi when I heard I'm supposed to get 14.5psi stock! so I did a little research and saw that maybe my electric boost solenoid might be bad. so I checked it and found out all the vac lines are not connected! :confused:

now I will get this fixed asap but I just want to know how did this affect the car? how did it run without those lines?

sorry if my question is stupid but I'm just new to this, also sorry for my bad English it's not my first language.

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's actually probably good news the lines weren't connected.

Without the boost controller working, you were running on wastegate pressure, which explains only hitting 8psi. That basically means the turbo was venting boost at the lowest possible pressure. Is it the boost controller stock?

I'd personally return the car to stock then have a very qualified shop that is experienced with these cars check the car over in its entirety to make sure you know everything that's going on with it. Then go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes the boost controller is stock. but why are you saying that "That's actually probably good news the lines weren't connected"?
well the car is only stage 1+ no other mods on it... so wouldn't reconnecting both lines to the stock boost solenoid and resetting the ecu would solve the problem?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
The real questions are where are the lines connected now, and 1+ is a tuned state what tune did it have and have now. Why is the boost controller disconnected and what else needs fixing. Agree with previous recommendation to take it somewhere that can figure this out and fix it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes the boost controller is stock. but why are you saying that "That's actually probably good news the lines weren't connected"?
well the car is only stage 1+ no other mods on it... so wouldn't reconnecting both lines to the stock boost solenoid and resetting the ecu would solve the problem?
I say it's probably good news as it's an easy diagnosis.

If everything looked good but it was only hitting 8psi, then you'd have a long search for problems ahead of you.

With the boost controller disconnected, you can pretty safely assume that is the reason. And there's a strong chance that nothing is being damaged, as you are venting at wastegate pressure.

Since you already said you are not familiar with these cars mechanically, I'd really strongly advise you to get it checked out. Boost controllers don't come unhooked by themselves... sounds to me like someone was messing around with things they knew very little about. Who knows what else might be done incorrectly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i agree with eveyrone else.

if the stock solenoid has no tubes attached to it, likely scenario is the car is modded, or was modded but not truly returned to stock. ie: Previous owner could have had a manual boost controller installed and just had all the tubes to the ebcs unplugged. best to find someone local to inspect for u.

i could totally see an instance where the car was returned to stock half-assedly and just sold that way :/

Got a pic of the engine bay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the help i think that makes it clear for me. i believe the previous owner did not return it to stock properly. the good news is my DAM is always at 1 and there is no feedback know while doing WOT on 4th gear.

i will get the car checked tomorrow and will let you guys know. appreciate your help

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thank you guys for the help i think that makes it clear for me. i believe the previous owner did not return it to stock properly. the good news is my DAM is always at 1 and there is no feedback know while doing WOT on 4th gear.

i will get the car checked tomorrow and will let you guys know. appreciate your help
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The fact that the boost control solenoid had all the lines disconnected sounds fishy to me. Why would that be disconnected lol. I would advise hooking it back up correctly and it might be a good idea to have the car checked out just for some peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:
So i went to Subaru El Cajon this morning to drop off the car for an oil leak, those missing vacuum lines and for an overall checkup. and so this is what they found, of course, they tried to include everything in the list of problems and here they are:

"pedal bracket broken on firewall $1040 BODY SHOP
power steering pump leaking $800 IN STOCK
strut tops ripped $520 IN STOCK
radiator hoses swollen $200 IN STOCK
control arm bushings torn $490 plus alignment $89.95 IN STOCK
fender liners and under tray missing $443 IN STOCK
boost solenoid hose missing $100 3 DAYS SPECIAL ORDER
oil leak coming from wrong plug installed in head, can attempt new plug but may need new cylinder head. if so, vehicle will not be able to be driven until repaired"

i'll try to do all these fixes when I have the money. but my question is if you had to list them from the most important to the least important fix. how would you list them and why?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
UPDATE:
So i went to Subaru El Cajon this morning to drop off the car for an oil leak, those missing vacuum lines and for an overall checkup. and so this is what they found, of course, they tried to include everything in the list of problems and here they are:

"pedal bracket broken on firewall $1040 BODY SHOP
power steering pump leaking $800 IN STOCK
strut tops ripped $520 IN STOCK
radiator hoses swollen $200 IN STOCK
control arm bushings torn $490 plus alignment $89.95 IN STOCK
fender liners and under tray missing $443 IN STOCK
boost solenoid hose missing $100 3 DAYS SPECIAL ORDER
oil leak coming from wrong plug installed in head, can attempt new plug but may need new cylinder head. if so, vehicle will not be able to be driven until repaired"

i'll try to do all these fixes when I have the money. but my question is if you had to list them from the most important to the least important fix. how would you list them and why?
That is a hard to answer question because none of us where there nor can we see the condition of the car. I would say the boost control solenoid hose and the oil leak are the most important. I dont know how bad that oil leak is but that should be something you should talk about with your service advisor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a hard to answer question because none of us where there nor can we see the condition of the car. I would say the boost control solenoid hose and the oil leak are the most important. I dont know how bad that oil leak is but that should be something you should talk about with your service advisor.
that's also what I did start with, the BCS hoses and the oil leak and I will address the other issues later when I have the money to do so. I just wanted to get some advice on how to deal with this situation or if someone has experience with or had similar problems that I can benefit from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts