IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been dealing with a rather high pitch whining noise whenever I aggressively corner in gear. the noise starts when I turn into a corner and dissipates after straightening out. I had originally thought that I had wheel rubbing (20mm spacers) however, I had then figured out that if i cornered clutch to the floor or in neutral the noise no longer occurred. I'm new to posting and hope I did this right haha. If someone could please provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

EDIT: Should have mentioned that I have a 2011 sti sedan

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have the same thing happening too. The car is totally stock other than an air freshener purchased from Walmart. It is somewhat loud and it happens when I make a normal turn. When the wheel goes straight, the noise stops. I have not tried it (yet) with the clutch to the floor or in neutral. Anyway, we are in the best place "IWSTI.COM" for getting the correct answer.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
You want insight? Here: post a damn video :)
I have experienced it for the past year or so and ignored it. I have yet to experience a break down due to the sound and I have little concern about it. I found it interesting that somebody else has experienced the same issue and I was only curious to know if others have experienced the same issue. If it comes to me calling triple Aye to haul my azz off of the interstate, I guess that is what warranties are for. Most blogs here have people who can relate to issues without having the OP post to youtube. If you do not know, step back from the keyboard and let somebody respond who does know! No worries here. :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have experienced it for the past year or so and ignored it. I have yet to experience a break down due to the sound and I have little concern about it. I found it interesting that somebody else has experienced the same issue and I was only curious to know if others have experienced the same issue. If it comes to me calling triple Aye to haul my azz off of the interstate, I guess that is what warranties are for. Most blogs here have people who can relate to issues without having the OP post to youtube. If you do not know, step back from the keyboard and let somebody respond who does know! No worries here. :D
ok, point well taken. You wouldn't happen to have a video of that squeal by any chance? :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys, I appreciate the quick responses and help (from most). Dccd is usually set all the way back to the rear in manual mode. Ill try different settings to see if that helps. A1ainSTI I've tried capturing the sound via video but with my exhaust, and wind noise it's nearly impossible to hear it. But I mean it shouldn't take Walt Disney to imagine what a high pitch whining noise would generally sound like.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Guys, I appreciate the quick responses and help (from most)
:lol:

it shouldn't take Walt Disney to imagine what a high pitch whining noise would generally sound like.
Hey, I'm not asking for walt disney quality videos, just trying to help you help us to help you.

title says LOUD. How loud? What pitch? All of which would be answered with a video :p
skkeeeeee?
pfffffsssshhhiiiiiii?
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?
krhshiiiiiiiiii?
:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's probably your front passenger side wheel bearing is worn. More load on the right side when turning left and spacers generally reduce bearing life.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have doubts that is the problem because I would expect that noise to happen if I was in neutral as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am by no means a technical guy (unfortunately).

·
Registered
167 Posts
In gear, it may place a slightly different pull or push load on the shaft going into the hub assembly...

My first thought was a torn lower motor mount or trans mount...or even the rear diff mount. Can you get it on a rack and check those with a key to the city?

Er....I mean pry bar?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts