IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

Im pretty new to the forums and im hoping someone could help me. Ive searched all over the internet and could not find anything exactly like my situation so i decided to come here. My car is a 2013 STI with 5500 miles on it stage 1. I run Amsoil SS in it but whenever i park it in the driveway of my house that has a decent incline and i come to start it the next morning it makes this loud ticking noise. It sounds to me like the valvtrain not getting enough oil because it goes away after a couple second but im not sure. Here a video of the noise

2013 STI Loud ticking noise - YouTube

Just wondering if anyone else has this noise or knows what causes it and if its bad. Any reply is appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Hello Everyone

Im pretty new to the forums and im hoping someone could help me. Ive searched all over the internet and could not find anything exactly like my situation so i decided to come here. My car is a 2013 STI with 5500 miles on it stage 1. I run Amsoil SS in it but whenever i park it in the driveway of my house that has a decent incline and i come to start it the next morning it makes this loud ticking noise. It sounds to me like the valvtrain not getting enough oil because it goes away after a couple second but im not sure. Here a video of the noise

Just wondering if anyone else has this noise or knows what causes it and if its bad. Any reply is appreciated. Thank you!!
park the car facing the other way and see if it changes the situation or not?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What are the temperatures out there? I see snow in the vid. Try getting a block heater installed. It's just a really cold start that your experiencing. What is the weight of that oil? My car did that when we would get down to single digit temperatures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was about 25 degrees in this video but ive had it do the same thing at 45-50 starts and ive tried parking it both ways but it always does the noise. The wierd thing is that it used to not do it when i was on amsoil XL 5W-30 but it does it now since i changed to amsoil ss 5W-30. I would love to get a block heater but it wouldnt do me to much good since i live in an appartment complex and would need a freakishly long powercord. I just want to make sure i dont have a problem i bought the car so i could have a warrantie but i also just installed my accessport and dont want to have to deal with the crappy dealership unless i have to. Thank!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i was thinking. I defiantly expected more out of the signature series. Ill stick with it for now and see how it does. i know teh XL did a bit of the same thing right when i changed from dyno oil to it so mabey it just takes some time for the oil to properly adhere to teh parts. I just dont want anything to get hurt. I thought Amsoil SS was supposed to be the best oil you can buy for these cars. Thank for the input!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Thats what i was thinking. I defiantly expected more out of the signature series. Ill stick with it for now and see how it does. i know teh XL did a bit of the same thing right when i changed from dyno oil to it so mabey it just takes some time for the oil to properly adhere to teh parts. I just dont want anything to get hurt. I thought Amsoil SS was supposed to be the best oil you can buy for these cars. Thank for the input!!
Try Motul, Rotella T6 or Castrol Edge. All 3 seem to have good results with our engines.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is the link again let me know if it still isnt working

And the ticking was there when i used dyno oil and still there for a while after switching to Amsoil XL but went away after a while. Now i just switched to amsoil signature series and it seams to have come back. Again this only happens if its been sitting overnight on a hill no matter which way the car sits. Im just worried that the noise means that its not getting proper oiling. Or it could be normal boxter engine noise idk this is my first STI so im still trying to get used to it.

And i was debating using either amsoil or rotela t6 and went with amsoil cuz i could use 5w-30 which the manual calls for and i didnt want to go off spec for warente sake. Has anyone had an issue with the dealer and using rotella t6. And my buddy keeps telling me to not use T6 because its a diesel oil?? so amsoil seemed to be the best bet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I use t6 year round and its great. Perfect oil pressure and no burning. It gets down in the single digits during the winter and I've never had an issue. Yes, it's intended for diesels but works well in the ej25. Tons of people use this stuff.

With that said, I doubt it has to do with the oil you're using. Pull the ignition fuse and crank it over for 5-10 seconds before you start it one morning. This will pump oil in to the heads. If it starts without the noise its probably the incline causing excessive drainback.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figure its was due to too much drainback. If that is the case would it be cause of concern?? Will it cause excessive wear/damage?? I guess i can always just park on the street since its flat and the noise doesnt occur when its not on a hill. Has anyone had any issues with using T6 and the dealer throwing a fit when going in for warentee work??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So quick update i parked it on the street today which is pretty level and let it sit overnight. During the night it got really cold down to about 10F then this morning the same noise occurred. I guess it has more to do with the temp then the incline. Does anyone else have a loud ticking when its bellow about 20 outside and is it bad for the car??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok its definitely due to the temperature outside more than the hill its parked on. It hasnt made the noise for a while but it was also warmer at night about 30+ degrees. But it cooled off last night and got down to around 15 or so and sure enough this morning the noise was back. Still disturbed by it because it does not sound very good.

Does anyone else get a lot of valve noise when its cold and is it bad for the motor????

·
Registered
900 Posts
Now that I think about it, it may be your Secondary Air injection valve/pump. I would think its pretty normal but just weird you didnt notice it any sooner.

Maybe call your local dealership and inquire with one of the techs there. Good thing is your car only has 5500 miles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im pretty sure its not the air injector i hear that going when i start up as well. To me it sounds like the valves tapping really loudly for 10 or so seconds. Its happened a few times since i got it if i remember correctly i first noticed it when it had about 1200 miles on it but it seemed to come and go. It just started to worry me because it has been happening a good bit more often recently. Ive asked my dealership when i was in buying parts and they said it was a normal noise that engines make and that i shouldnt worry. Well im not to inclined to believe everything the dealer sais especially after the stories ive read on the forums. I remember i first noticed this noise after my car had sat for a couple of days and i turned it back on. Doesn't seam to do that really anymore but when its cold the noise is there. So aggravating sometimes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bet man that stinks. I just recently started to hear a slight tick in my car around 2000-2500 rpm. I had a subaru master tech drive with me and he concluded it was normal. He almost couldnt even hear it but since the car is my dd i hear it all the time. Just another subaru sound to get used to I guess.

If you think its your valves, you could always hold up a screw driver and listen to the valves. You will hear a lot more than you think doing this:

FWIW the valves are pretty loud on Subarus. Especially on a cold start.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip STiboost21 quick question though. What do you have circled in your photo? If i wanted to listen for valves tapping shouldnt i put the screwdriver near the heads where they are located? Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question this is my first boxer engine. I came over from the land of V8s so im still a little fuzzy on the small details of these motors. Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bannerd- It sounds to me more like valves tapping and i never have the ac or any of the heating/cooling system on when i start the car so im pretty sure its not the compressor. Thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for the tip STiboost21 quick question though. What do you have circled in your photo? If i wanted to listen for valves tapping shouldnt i put the screwdriver near the heads where they are located? Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question this is my first boxer engine. I came over from the land of V8s so im still a little fuzzy on the small details of these motors. Thanks.

This would be true, but its difficult to get there. What I have circled in the photo is a good point where to place the metal end of the screw driver on. If its your valves tapping you will definitely hear it at that point.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts