IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get a loud thump when shifting from first to second really fast? I just got my car and am not sure if my tranny has to break in or this is just normal. :eek:

Thanks,
dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
This has been discussed in many other threads. It is due to the rear differential settling during hard shifting .. there supposedly is a bit of free space in between the rear diff and the chassis(?) - there is a fix out there that you can get if it bothers you though. Some sort of diff rings or something. Search for rear diff or clunking

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
No, it's not ice, I've heard this before during a 2nd to 3rd shift and it's rather unsettling (on the driver, not the car).

The key is to shift quickly but smoothly. That time I heard this I was on a fast, long curve and shifted hard (let the clutch out hard).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i hear the WhiteLine Rear Differential Bushings will fix the thumb... i've searched the net but can't find it, does anyone know?

thanks
dav3

·
Premium Member
532 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
btw the above link shipps very fast and i did not use the white lube for the bushings they sent i used a synthetic purple grease that mobile 1 makes (great grease)

sman

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Re: GAD BLAMMIT!!!!!!!!11 possible no-show?

a synthetic purple grease that mobile 1 makes (great grease)
Never heard of this before. Would it be available at the local auto parts store?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
YES you can get it at any wide selcetion store

it is just like regular wheel bearing grease but it is purple, great stuff

sman

·
Registered
521 Posts
it doesnt really take away the full thump from me, but it does lessen the sound in the rear diff. the old thump that sounded metal hitting metal, now sounds less like a rubber hitting rubber sound haha, i dont know how to explain it

·
Registered
698 Posts
yea my car does the same clunk when you are really mashin the gas and letting the clutch fly. I found that allowing the clutch to slip alittle while you get back into the gas takes it all away and still gives the car some serious get up and go. try it and see if that works for ya.

Glad to see you are breaking it in nice and aggressively, thats how i broke mine in, and i have no problems w/ burning oil :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts