IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just did my first 4500 rpm drop-clutch start and while it seemed fast I had a little bit of wheel spin (a chirp really) and then a loud "Clunk" for lack of a better term.

What is the loud "clunk" sound and is it bad or normal?

I did a hard start like this once before but I slipped the clutch out which resulted in a bad smell from the clutch. No bad smell this time but the "clunk" sound has me wondering...

Oh, by the way, I do not plan on trying this every day.

Thanks!
FD

T

·
0 Posts
I would think it would be the rear diff locking in. Just guessing here but it would make sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ya, mine does that too. Sounds like a brick loose in the trunk. I can get mine to do it on a hard shift too. I don't like it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yup, if you run through the gears quickly, it sounds just like the WRC cars when they shift.

Bang.....zzzzzzzzZZZZZZ...Bang.....zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ...Bang

;)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
thats the rear differential moving around on its soft rubber mounts. All WRX's seem to do that if you shift they hard. Nothing to really worry about, but probably not something you should make a habit of doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Xman said:
probably not something you should make a habit of doing.
I just returned from giving my buddy a ride and got the same "brick loose in the trunk" clunk when I shifted from 3rd to 4th at 6k. I asked my buddy if it was his neck that made the noise. :wink: I hoped the noise was the spare tire shifting . . . or the tool kit. I thought I was supposed to drive this car hard to keep it happy??? Is this the "Achilles heel" of the STI?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yup, if you run through the gears quickly, it sounds just like the WRC cars when they shift.

Bang.....zzzzzzzzZZZZZZ...Bang.....zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ...Bang

;)
speaking of that ... is it ok to shift fast? I actually let my friend drive and it like hurt cause the tranny was smashing the clutch together so fast. It didnt really hurt ... it was just kinda like hitting a good size bump/pothole feeling. all i see is rmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm SMASH rmmmmmmm and then its ok, but man 1-2 shift was like painful... I feel sorry for the people I let ride now lol... i gotta smooth it out some.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Scuba_Steve said:
That is your rear diff making the "thump". You need to get the Whitline rear diff lock kit and this will eliminate it. It's only $30 and can be installed in about 5 minutes.

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/per-wrx-suspension.html
holy crap thanks, just what I was looking for! Im glad I read all the other posts now. :)

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
staticx313 said:
Im glad I read all the other posts now. :)

Robert~
There's a thought! :lol:

staticx313 said:
speaking of that ... is it ok to shift fast?
It's ok to shift fast, but not too fast. If you feel the meshes grinding together, you are slamming the gears too fast. The synchros need to have time to adjust gear speed. Rule of thumb....if the SHIFT feels funny, you're probably doing something wrong. As far as the clutch engagement and driveline feel.....the car is very capable of handling whatever you can throw at it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Scuba Steve....has this installation been done on an STi? Unless I'm really missing something, I don't see how these are supposed to go in.

I get the idea...but the 'outriggers' from the rear diff aren't orientated anything like the picture...and you can't get the bolt out to put the bushings in if you wanted to.

Help??

·
Registered
804 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Scuba Steve....has this installation been done on an STi? Unless I'm really missing something, I don't see how these are supposed to go in.

I get the idea...but the 'outriggers' from the rear diff aren't orientated anything like the picture...and you can't get the bolt out to put the bushings in if you wanted to.

Help??
I installed them on my STi. After laying under the car looking at the diff and drive-shaft for about 10 minutes I finally figured out where they go :lol: . If you look under the car in front of the rear tires next to the jack point you will see where they go. Hope this helps. :D

Hell, I'll go take a pic. Here ya go.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
staticx313 said:
Im glad I read all the other posts now. :)

Robert~
There's a thought! :lol:

staticx313 said:
speaking of that ... is it ok to shift fast?
It's ok to shift fast, but not too fast. If you feel the meshes grinding together, you are slamming the gears too fast. The synchros need to have time to adjust gear speed. Rule of thumb....if the SHIFT feels funny, you're probably doing something wrong. As far as the clutch engagement and driveline feel.....the car is very capable of handling whatever you can throw at it.
lol ya ya, I just get goin too fast and dont read all of em. Im not grinding anything ("power shifting"), but man... it just feels like someone kicks ya in the butt when you pop that clutch out going 1-2... no biggie tho, I'll see how this bushing kit does... thanks again scuba and if you have more pics that would be great!!

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh wow....I was looking WAAAY too far back. I was looking at the back of the rear diff itself. DAYMN.....ok, I see it now.

I'll probably go ahead and do a small pictures-as-I-go install for these. If they really work as you say, this should be a staple mod for people.

Thanks SS!

·
Registered
804 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Oh wow....I was looking WAAAY too far back. I was looking at the back of the rear diff itself. DAYMN.....ok, I see it now.

I'll probably go ahead and do a small pictures-as-I-go install for these. If they really work as you say, this should be a staple mod for people.

Thanks SS!
Yeah that's what I did! :lol: This is definitely a must mod in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
SS said just a few minutes in the first post about it. Now seeing where it is....it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes or so, if that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts