IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new key made, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, reputable alternatives to using the dealership. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call a few locksmiths, one of them is bound to have the ablitly to program the ecu for the new key. I found a guy here in Denver that cut 2 keys and programmed them for my '08 - cost me a whopping $100.

Terry

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Is it an 04 or 05+?
IIRC the 04 is the only year w/o the immobilizer chip. The rest are all chipped and need to be programmed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to get a new key made, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, reputable alternatives to using the dealership. Thanks in advance

If your dealer gives you good service, go there, but any good Locksmith should be able to make keys for your car. Might help if you post up make, model, and year, then you can get some more specific advice. Get 2 sets, it won't cost 2X what one set would cost, put the spare set in a safe place where you won't lose it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I bought my car used it only came with 1 key. Dealers were quoting me $140-$180 for a second key cut and programmed. I bought one on ebay for $28 and found a local Sebastian Locksmith that cut and programmed for $80. So the new key came out to about $115 after tax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts