IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI Base
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm having an issue with my '21 STI (13k miles). Lately the steering has been feeling pretty loose, especially at higher speeds. Whenever I go over a bump, it feels like the whole rack is wobbling. Anyone know what's going on? I haven't done any suspension modifications yet. I'm also on stock wheels.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
852 Posts
a good test; when driving in a straight line (going at least 20-25mph), try wiggling the steering wheel just a tad, by like half an inch either direction rapidly.
Do it repetitively, like 5 or so times each direction.
Does the car respond?
The STi is a hydraulic system with a generally tight steering system, so the car should respond immediately to your inputs.
If the car does 'wiggle' directly in tune with the wheel without any delay or slop, then it's likely not the rack/tierods that are the issue you are feeling and could be related to the swaybar, control arms, suspension, etc.
If it is inconsistent or sloppy or just not responding well to small inputs, something is probably loose.
I'd start with the steering test and go from there.

Reactions: Karlot

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
What do you mean "loose" at higher speeds? Why would the steering rack be wobbeling? Based on your description, either you have something loose/damaged in the supsension or your alignment is out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't have any wobble, so agree with others, you should definitely get under the car and inspect things. I personally have always felt the power assist on my STI was (a little overbearing) not as nice in comparison to my FXT or LGT. At higher speeds there is noticeable slop (looseness) and not as much "road feel" as I would prefer. Everything is stock. I've always wished it was a bit tighter. I'm sure there is plenty I could do to increase response and feel, but stock is still softer than I care for. I ran Bridgestones on my older cars. I'm running DWS06+ on the STI. The sidewalls are plenty stiff. Everything is linear, but not as tight.

@cat_Kat, take your car to the dealer (Its under warranty) if you don't know what to look for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts