Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a WRX wagon for my daily driver. I will
be giving it away soon and need a replacement. My questions
concerning the STI are:

Is it louder at cruising speed than a WRX? My car got a lot
louder with S03's.

What is real world fuel economy in mixed driving?

How about interior squeaks, rattles, etc.?

The dealers in my area don't give test drives so I am
pretty much clueless about some aspects of the STI.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
just imagine your wagon in race trim, best i could explain. louder, bumpier, and some serious fuel sucking ability.

but you have to ask yourself, is it all worth owning one of the fastest production cars in the world (0-30mph).

if i get permenant whiplash, i would have no regrets! :D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Rattles, yes. Squeaks, yes. Noisy at highway cruising speeds, yes. To be honest, anything longer than 45 min - 1 hr on the freeway can be downright annoying unless the freeway is smooth. But if you want an sti, you probably aren't buying a car solely based on its commuting skills.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
stripes said:
I currently have a WRX wagon for my daily driver. I will
be giving it away soon and need a replacement.
I traded my '02 wagon for my STi. Both were/are daily drivers.

Is it louder at cruising speed than a WRX? My car got a lot
louder with S03's.
It's a little louder. My Scoobysport muffler adds to it, though. And I'm installing a stereo right now that'll mask more noise on those occasions that I don't want to hear the car.

I got 24 mpg in my wagon no matter how I drove it: city/highway/mixed. I was able to 27 mpg on one tank when tried to see how I could get it. The first two tanks in the STi were 22 mpg. That was during break-in, of course. I'm probably getting about 20 mpg...I haven't calculated it recently.

My glove box door rattles sometimes. I haven't really tried to track it down, but it should be easy to fix.

The dealers in my area don't give test drives so I am
pretty much clueless about some aspects of the STI.
That's too bad... The test drive sold me on it. It doesn't feel much like the WRX, surprisingly. Obviously, the low-end is much better. The transmission feels ten times better. It feels a bit twitchy on the road, and lifting the throttle while cornering induces a jerk of oversteer that is disconcerting, but it definitely handles better overall. And, course, it's a blast under full throttle. :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran into some trouble trying to test drive the Evo and STi, but I was able to find a dealer that was willing to help me out. After all, it is a car and dealers are in business to sell cars. Keep trying to get a test drive, someone will let you if they want to sell it bad enough.

I'm still working on my first tank of gas LOL, so not sure on MPG. I'll prob fill it up tomorrow night before the work week. As to noise, I was impressed with the lack of noises (at least while new) as compared to my former Cobra. There is a squeek from the glove box that I need to fix (Im thinking a dab of white grease on the mechanism should fix it. Other than that, I have no noises in mine, yet. That may change as things break in though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Why aftermarket BOV's cause problems - A quick explination

stripes said:
Is it louder at cruising speed than a WRX? My car got a lot louder with S03's.
Yes, it's louder. More like a WRX with a mild aftermarket exhaust, I'd say. The tires make more noise than the exhaust does, I'd say. Some Dynamat can help that, though, if you don't like it.

stripes said:
I've been averaging around 18-19 mpg, myself. That's with roughly a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving; I like to have fun with the car, so I'm not light on the gas.

stripes said:
The glovebox is a bit loose. I still haven't found how to adjust it, but it's just not latching tightly. A minor thing. You feel bumps more, but they're still not what I would consider "jarring", such as if a car's struts wore out. I still think they're mild, but I can put up with a lot thanks to what I'm used to with other cars I've driven. Compared to them, the ride in the STi is great. Squeaks? None that I've experienced.

FWIW, a guy at a local dealer was talking to a friend of mine who works there about an STi. Same thing as your situation - they don't give test drives. I happened in, and was waiting on some shipping information from my friend, so I offered the guy a ride. He was looking at either an Acura TL or a WRX up to that point. He seemed a decent guy, so I let him drive the STi back to the dealer. When we got back, my friend asked him what he thought, and the guy said, "He just sold a car for you." He thought it was far more driveable than a WRX thanks to the torque, and not nearly as harsh as he expected.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I wonder if some of the Subaru and Mitsu dealers are doing the no-test-drives thing because they're afraid people won't like the stiff ride. If that's the case, they're being stupid, because test driving these cars only helps people determine if the car is compatible with them. Do they really want buyers to buy an STi or Evo and be unhappy with it? Don't they realize that there are a lot of people who won't buy a car without driving it first?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Personally, I think every dealership should have one demo car that they just hold onto so that everyone can get a TD, and they don't have to worry about putting miles on the new cars....

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
1. The dealers won't let you test drive them because they don't want to sell a car with miles on it. That's more typical to the Mitsu dealers around my area, I called 5 of them, and only 1 agreed for a test drive. My friend works at one of the dealers who refused, but his buddy dropped by and took me for a ride in it. (See post "Got a taste of the rivalry")

I called Subaru dealers, the second one agreed and so I test drove. (Amazing car)

2. Built quality seemed very good, didn't notice any rattles, squeeks or anything, car was SOLID and I felt like I was sitting on a rocket. To be honest, I think the ride in my modified Integra is harsher than the STi.

I was impressed, called my father that day and told him: "Forget the 350Z....wait until you see what this baby". :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
The STI is the only car ever that I bought without a test drive. I have to admit there as bit of stress, that your somehow going to end up with a lemon. After I got it and drove it, I was relieved there was nothing wrong with it. Matter of fact, the build quality is pretty good. The car seem "solid". When I got it, there was 6 miles on the odometer, so I was happy about that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The ride is stiff but not harsh, I have made multiple 7+ hour trips with minimal fatigue. The cabin noise is definitely loud in comparison with the non-evo cars in the 30K price range. The RE070s contribute to this, but I don't find the noise to be excessive. I was also surprised by the solid build of the interior, there are a few rattles but nothing major. This is the first new car I have ever purchased period and I did not test drive. I worried a bit as the delivery date neared. Thankfully the car is such a blast to drive that my worries were null and void.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car is noisier than the WRX. I had a sedan with the SPT suspension kit and I feel that the STI is smoother and less harsh. About half of the extra noise comes from the tires. I am currently running on Dunlop WinterSport M2's for the winter and they are quiter than the stock Re070's. The rest of the noise comes from not having any dampening material under the carpet. If you wanted you can remove the carpet lay down noise suppression material and then put it back together.

If you are after luxury then look elsewhere. This car is about going fast. I have a 2004 TL on order for my wife as she likes the STI but wants more refinement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
figure I'd give my 2 cents since I just bought mine and drove it 1200 miles back home. It is considerably more harsh than my 03 wrx was with prodrive springs, stock struts, 17 inch battles, 225/45/17 kumho 712's. It was definitely a rough ride home, you feel every crack and bump in the road. Over the course of the ride home my back ached and my passengers found it hard to sleep. There is quite a few whistles and squeaks, etc. That said, I love it and it will be my daily driver. Around town it doesn't seem so bad. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the roads up north which are in horrible shape compared to the roads around Atlanta. Good luck on your purchase, you will love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts