IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off im not a guy who knows alot about cars. But I've always wanted a scubbie. Im finally in a good place financially. My question is how reliable are they if you just keep them stock? I won't be modding. I just hear alot of bad things about there reliability . Thanks guys

·
Registered
201 Posts
Owner of 3 Subies here, soon to be 4, Mechanical Engineer and I'm a Subaru Ambassador.

Best advice I can give you is research research research. Spend days not hours looking things up, this site and everywhere.

Google "motoman break-in", this is a touchy subject around here, but I'll be doing this to my S209 when it gets here and I'm looking at bringing her home @ $71.500.

No need to rev past 6k RPM, it's not a Honda and these engines are FRAGILE!

Check your oil religiously, I'm totally serious, my 05 STi has 160,xxx on the clock and I never crank it without checking it. At the very least check it at every fuel fill-up.

Never, and I do mean never slam on the throttle in a high gear while driving at slow speeds.
I usually give it 25% throttle, let it spool up and then get on it.

ALWAYS let the car warm up, summer time 5-10, winter 15-20. That's probably extreme, but my STi hasn't blown or been cracked open. Use your own judgement with this.

If you do absolutely anything to the engine get a tune. this includes intake, exhaust, spark plugs, ANYTHING.
Google, Google, Google....

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but these are the basics.

Good luck and have fun with it, welcome to the Subie family!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll be doing this to my S209 when it gets here and I'm looking at bringing her home @ $71.500.
Off-topic, but did the dealer give you a breakdown of the MSRP & ADM (markup)? The only other person that I've heard of reserving a S209 is KillerB, but they wouldn't disclose the price :) They weren't able to choose a color since the dealer didn't know what their allocations would be. They were also told that delivery would be "sometime in October".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just based off my local dealer mark-ups for when they had their very few RA's and what I'm willing to shell out. I have not got anything written in stone. Yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You remembered! HA! And yes I do, but I still have my 05 STi, got a quote from Subaru for headgaskets/water pump/timing belt yesterday. 4 grand. Probably gonna tow it in next weekend.

·
Registered
350 Posts
These cars are well built and pretty strong if you treat it like a commuter car. with a little extra hp. Mobile-1 0w-40 oil every 5k miles. Due to the open/closed loop fueling just be easy on the car until 3k+ rpms.

This car is built for speed in short spurts and has pretty aggressive gearing. It also lifts at speed. It really designed for sub 100mph environments and will treat you very well if you adhere to that.

Be on top of normal maintenance and you will be fine. This includes oil changes, brake fluid change, clutch fluid change, rear diff fluid, tranny fluid, coolant flush. Spark plugs too.

Remember this car shines as a one size fits all for winter beater, people hauler, grocery getter, road trips, canyon carving and more. It is NOT a race car though. If you treat it like a race car, it will break like race cars break and that is expensive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Google "motoman break-in", this is a touchy subject around here, but I'll be doing this to my S209 when it gets here and I'm looking at bringing her home @ $71.500.

you realize this is only for a motor you built that has zero run-time right? By the time you get your new car it will have already been run.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Literally every engine has been run before it's been delivered. Run and broke-in are 2 very different things as far as a mechanical approach.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
buy it and

i also used motoman break in. 35K miles of smiles and going strong. Cobb OTS Stage 2 since 16K and would recommend this to others.

as for warm up, dont let it idle in the driveway, drive it. just keep it below 3k or so and out of boost until up to temp. idle is bad, mmkay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts