IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone remembers but i had sold my 03 cobra and was considering an STI a while back. Well i leased a Honda accord so i could have a simple car i wouldn't be modding and save some money to buy a house.

Well i finally bought a house and my lease is up soon so ill be looking at cars again. I have been looking into the STI again!

Every time i see one i kick myself in the ass but i probably wouldnt have saved so much to get into the house so i guess it was best.

My question is would i be better of going with a WRX and modding that or go straight for the STI and doing some mods to that? I have heard that the new STI's arent worth the extra money and that i might be better off going with a WRX and modding it. This is coming from a 07 STI owner so i dont know how much truth there is to it. I basically want a turn key fun car that has some balls when i want to get on it.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
I basically want a turn key fun car that has some balls when i want to get on it.
Sure sounds like an STi to me. I have heard good things about modded WRX's, but if you are looking for turnkey, STi is prolly the way to go. Coming from an 07 owner, a little engine management and 93 octane fuel and you should be in good shape.

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im not against doing mods. By turnkey i want something good for daily driving that will be reliable and fun. From what i read i can do minor mods to an sti and it really wakes the car up.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
...I basically want a turn key fun car that has some balls when i want to get on it.
How about a Cobra...? :)
Assuming you have accepted that you will need to spend a lot more $ in the Subaru world to get to the same level of power, the next question would be, do you like the new hatch style or not? If not, I would go look for a used 05-06 STi. If the hatch is OK for you, and your primary concern is straight-line speed, modding an '09 WRX might be a reasonable choice. There are plenty of reasons why the STI is "superior" - stronger tranny is one big one - but those may or may not matter to you.

One recent thread that might be interesting, I'm sure there are others like it...
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/general/158593-new-wrx-faster-then-sti.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i would love another 03/04 cobra. I miss that car but in the end i have a house now so it was a better choice at the time. I have always wanted an STI so im thinking of getting one this time around. Im not looking to get to that power level and i know it will cost a small fortune to do that. I just want a fun car. I do like the new hatch style. Dont get me wrong i like straight line speed but the STI isnt that type of car. Id build another cobra if i wanted just straight line speed. Like i said i just want a fun car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it was car & driver that just tested the WRX vs the STI - the WRX was a little faster than the STI in the 1/4 mile run and in the 0-60 mph run - due to the fact that the STI has a closer gear ratio and requires a shift into 3rd before you hit 60mph. It may be possible to throw down some cash on a WRX to give it some balls for when you want to get on it...lol
but...you won't have the STI footprint though...so suspension mods maybe even better brakes/rotors should be considered.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I dont see why you wouldnt just get the STI if you want it? Life is short....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts