IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is that the Perrin catch can? Looks nice :)

-d

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
lol nice

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Nice! Make sure you take some pics and show us how did you plug it in... There is SO much debate going on as to what is the correct setup for a catch can ....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well catch can is in and install went fairly simple. i strictly followed the provided perrin instructions as far as installation goes. i know there is another line that 'bleeds' oil ( for lack of a better term ) but i just left that one alone and just tapped into a single line. ill take some pics tomorrow. even though im not catching all the oil, im catching some. some is better than none right.....? pics coming

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The nurspec R keeps getting better and better

almost right, even though it might work just as well that way...i tee'd (used the provided straight hose connector pieces) into that black hose twice, instead of running the catch can hose directly to the metal thingy (pardon my terminology) by the i/c. so if this doesnt make any sense, lets take your picture for example. the bottom red hose is correct. the top red hose would be connected a lil further down in this sequence. from I/C metal thingy, to stock black hose, cut, connector, red catch can hose, into catch can. sorry so damn wordy...ill get some pics up hopefully

·
Registered
348 Posts
did you get hose clamps with yours? The directions seem to indicate that some should come with the kit. Oh well, I just used a couple I had lying around.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i baffled the can with some new painters masks from home depot (removed the metal strip and elastic band as well). thinking about adding some foam 'peanuts' from the box it came in. looks like itll be quite efficient.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Looks nice :) How much oil are you catching?

I see you removed the cam belt cover ... ;)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
without getting too technical ( i am bound to mess it up somewhere along the line), the catch can traps blow by oil, which prevents the oil from getting shot up into the intercooler and intake manifold. anybody want to back me up on this?? man, those are as laymen terms as you can get..... :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is correct. They catch blowbye( oil vapors in the air ) And filter out the excess oil then return the cleaner air to the intake.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
STi_Thunder said:
Thanks for the pics. Looks nice :) How much oil are you catching?

I see you removed the cam belt cover ... ;)
well i just put it in a couple of days ago and really just test drove. ill prob check in a couple of weeks to see its progress. as for the belt cover, lost a bolt somewhere while installing the perrin pulley.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There won't be that much oil entering the can...it's just a mist. I doubt anyone has actually seen a puddle show up in a catch can...but that doesn't mean that it isn't working, because it is.

You might want to check this out.... http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=63721#63721 I've been trying to get this figured out and documented for some time. I think it's a joke that places like Perrin give out installation instructions like they do......not only are we only filtering half of the necessary lines with their installation, but we're filtering the less important of the two!

Do remember to put some kind of filtering media in the catch can...a foam or just a wad of t-shirt scraps.....something needs to be in there to make the oil mist separate from the air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts