IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What options exist for track tires in the stock 225/45-17 size that you can use to drive to the track & back?

I'm used to running Yokoahama A032Rs on my RS for track days, but they have nothing close to the stock size. I looked on Tire Rack, and the Kumhos talk about the need to shave the tread before using them in the dry -- sounds like a bad option for something that would have to be (relatively) long-lasting.

Suggestions? The RE070s are pretty good on the track, but is there something more aggressive?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
question on rotating tires

I have BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDs on my Supra and they are available in the stock STi size. They are about as close as you can get to a full race tire. They are suppose to be dry only but I had to drive to a track in the rain once and they were not that bad. They heat up good and get somewhat sticky. Not sure how long they will last because I am still on my first set.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The g-Force is a street tire, with a 200 treadwear rating -- not directly comparable, but it should last longer than the RE070. That actually sounds like a good alternative to the RE070 as a street tire.

I'm trying to find a R compound tire that's track only, except you also drive 150 miles or so on the streets to/from the event. I'd rather change wheels at home. It's a pain to lug four gigantic tires, change them at the track getting all filthy, etc. The Jokeahama A032Rs fit the bill perfectly... except they don't fit.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
For track day tires that are relatively longer in life, I would go with Hoosier R304s, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (even though some don't like them), or the new Pirelli Corsas. I would really like to try the Pirellis, but they are too new on the market and not many review are out yet. So, personally, I will going with the Hoosier R compounds to use on the track and auto-x.

The Yokohama's are really not very good for track, I had better results with Michelin Pilot Sports (not Cup).

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm planning to use a set of Victoracers for autox and track duty come spring. I've heard only great things about them....hold up great, great traction at a fraction of the price of the Hoosiers.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I forgot to mention the Toyo T1-S and RA-1s. I am told (and as anyone can witness in the Speed World Challenge series), they are very good tires; and proven. Although, I do not have first-hand experience.

Victoracers are very good as well, but I believe there is a new version coming about soon. I am confident they'll bring it out before the auto-x season starts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sharing my research. Thanks all for the tips.

What doesn't work:
- Toyo RA-1 are a great option, but they aren't available in the stock size. 235/45ZR17 is available.
- Toyo T1-S is a street tire
- The Kumhos need to be shaved, that makes me think they aren't a good drive-to-the-track-and-back tire. Tell me if I'm wrong, the price is nice.
- The Hoosier website sucks. Maybe I don't speak NASCAR or something, but I can't find info on R304 tires. What I did gather is that DOT Hoosiers shouldn't be driven on the street. The ones shown on TireRack are clearly not usable on the street.

What does work:
-Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. This is a French tire and costs $220 a piece... that made me ignore it. But it fits the bill perfectly and has great Tire Rack reviews.
- Pirelli PZero Corsa is even more expensive at $232. One Tire Rack comment mentions they chunked a tire on a very hot track day. Not much data to go on, but at least they're not French.

Looks like I might have to suck it up and pay through the nose. DOH. By the way, Yoko A032Rs are great on the track. You just can't AutoX on them.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
*thanks* for posting your summary. that'll get used a lot, i think. btw,what's wrong with stuff being french??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
LMOA! the "poor" french.

veering off-topic: allegedly, they had/have a financial interest in iraq so they "had" to do what they did; the same motives that drives much of america's domestic and foreign policies. btw, did italy support the invasion??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I would say the Toyo RA-1's would be your best bet. The 235's would be better than the 225's anyway.
Hooiser and Kumho's are definitely not practical to drive back and forth.

I am considering the Michelins and Pirellis for daily driving, but i doubt I will because of the short life and high costs.

For my R comps next year I am going to go:
1. Hoosier if I have the $$
2. Kumho V710 (not out yet)
3. Kumho Victoracers (if no #2 above)

I change tires at the autoX events, so back and forth is no problem for the R comps.

BTW, I ran the Kumho Ecsta's this year and they wore much faster than I would have liked, and also did not give me the grip I expected. I heard the older Victoracers were better anyway.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
RDiamond said:
Sharing my research. Thanks all for the tips.

What doesn't work:
- Toyo RA-1 are a great option, but they aren't available in the stock size. 235/45ZR17 is available.
- Toyo T1-S is a street tire
- The Kumhos need to be shaved, that makes me think they aren't a good drive-to-the-track-and-back tire. Tell me if I'm wrong, the price is nice.
- The Hoosier website sucks. Maybe I don't speak NASCAR or something, but I can't find info on R304 tires. What I did gather is that DOT Hoosiers shouldn't be driven on the street. The ones shown on TireRack are clearly not usable on the street.

What does work:
-Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. This is a French tire and costs $220 a piece... that made me ignore it. But it fits the bill perfectly and has great Tire Rack reviews.
- Pirelli PZero Corsa is even more expensive at $232. One Tire Rack comment mentions they chunked a tire on a very hot track day. Not much data to go on, but at least they're not French.

Looks like I might have to suck it up and pay through the nose. DOH. By the way, Yoko A032Rs are great on the track. You just can't AutoX on them.
This is a good summary, let me add few comments:

1- Yes, the r-compounds are generally expensive; but if you think about the difference in performance, the price difference of $50 to 150 is a moot point. The price difference between Hoosiers, Michelins, and Pirellis is less than $60 in total

2- The Toyo T1-S tires are street tires as mentioned, but they seem to perform very well at the track; wet or dry. Again, until the 2003 season of Speed World Challenge series, T1-S tires were used for the races, same set used for qualifying and 20 very hot race laps. And in 2003 only the GT series went with the RA-1s; in 2004 the entire series is going with RA-1s.

3- The Hoosiers can be driven on street, but they are as close as one will get to pure "slicks" with DOT approval. Hence, RDiamond is correct, especially on damp and wet conditions, they should be driven on the street. Majority of autoxers and trackers have extra wheel/tire sets just for this purpose. The Hoosiers really do make a noticeable difference in reducing times compared to any other tire for autoxes, the A compound.

4- I always regarded the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups highly, but recently I was told that many of the tire suppliers were left with bunch of them in inventory because many trackers were not happy with them. So, they may be willing to reduce the price. Also, this and the pressure from the new Pirellis may mean that Michelin will have to come up with a new version of these very soon.

M

·
0 Posts
RDiamond said:
I don't want my tires to surrender when a German car approaches.

ahahahaha that is the funniest thing I have read all day!

personally, I plan on a set of Hoosiers, based on how well they seem to perform for others. I'm definitely not a tire or autox expert though...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Regarding the Victoracers requiring shaving....depends what you want to use them for. If you are going to nationals with them and are looking to win, yeah, shave em and have them heat cycled. Otherwise, I'm looking to have them heat cycled but left at full tread. For casual autox use and occasional track use, full depth leaves you quite a bit to play with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clone, thanks for the tip. I got mixed up by the Ecsta, which says:

"Kumho advises that the ECSTA V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area."

Looks like the Victoracers don't need shaving. At the nicer price, these seem to be the way to go. From reading the Tire Rack comments, its only major flaw is rain grip.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
All R compounds will grip better on wet surfaces than regular tires, however they will also aquaplane much sooner.

The victoracers are definitely a good choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts