IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody out there with LoJack, I was wondering if somebody who has put it in could give me some details about it, especially price.
thanks

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
DVD systems

I have it in my WRX. Price depends on what level of security, mine was about $500. The problem with Lo-Jack is that you have to know your car was stolen. Say it gets stolen right after you arrive at work and enter the office and don't come back out until lunch or even at closing. It would've been gone for 4-8 hours already. This is why I also got the Unbrakeable Autolock. The only way you can steal my car is if you have a flatbed truck because you're not cutting through my clutch. Remember Lo-Jack is a re-active, recovery device and by the time your car is recovered, it may be stripped already. You also should have something to prevent theft in the first place.

And as CloNeGTS just said, use the search function. Not the one to the left, but the one on top, especially since it appears you're new to the forum and may not be aware of where everything is. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
in the early 90's, there was a competitor to lo-jack. but theirs was not a passive system like lo-jack. once your car was stolen, it immediately goes to work. guess it was like an alarm.

damn... forgot what happened to them...

·
Registered
857 Posts
instead of the "club" across the streering wheel, you use this device to lock the brake or clutch pedal against the floor.

it makes it harder to cut, or remove.

informercial had "reformed" car thieves trying to remove this device and they failed.

simple operation actually. theory is since you cant press down on the clutch or the brake pedal, kinda hard to steal a car...

·
Registered
311 Posts
hmm... Id like to have something that deters the thieve. Something more visual. even a small sticker on the driver door along with your unbreakable thing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Clutch burn-off smell

snowbordrWRX is right but that's why lojack has come out w/ a new system. Go to their website (lojack.com) and read more about it. Its called the early warning system, and that's what i got.

It was expensive but atleast i know if something does happen, it would only take 15 minutes to 1 hour for me to get notified. It kinda expensive but I was lucky because the installer didn't come when he was supposed to had came. So the guy gave me some sort of rebate or something, he didn't charged me for activation.

The thing i don't like about lojack is that the "key" is a little remote. I mean its like having two alarms except that lojack has no buttons, its only like a sensor or something.

I would recommend anybody getting it. But don't take my word for it, go to the website and learn more about the new features it has.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have lojack in my Honda del Sol (<sigh> we were young and stoopid when we bought it). Don't really think about it anymore since I've had my alarm set on 'Valet' for the past 3 years ;)

I think we got it for $599 instead of $699 in 1995 because the dealer had a special on it when you bought an alarm system (I think we got a small discount on that as well).

Not sure what it costs now... I hope this was somewhat helpful anyhow.

Lojack says if you don't recover your vehicle w/in 24 hours of reporting it stolen, they refund your money on the lojack system - how about a new car?!?!?!?!

Which brings up another point. What if you're out of town for 2 weeks and your car gets stolen from the airport parking lot the first day... I don't think lojack would help ya there.

I've always thought that an alarm system that blows up the car along with the would-be thief would be best... you've lost the car anyhow so why not? I guess you wouldn't set that alarm off by mistake more than once... natural selection. :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
dei released a gps tracking system to work with non-dei and dei alarm systems. it utilizes cellular technology to transmit and receive data through phone/web.

once your alarm is triggered the directrack unit will then send a signal via cellular to your phone or email etc. this will notify you that your vehicle has been violated and you will be able to track the vehicle via gps etc.

if you install the directrack unit to a esp2 compatible dei alarm system with remote start you can remotely activate your remote start system via phone/web etc.

check www.directed.com for additional info

alpine had a similar system called Mobile Mayday, which they no longer sell or support. i believe lojack has a similar system that will activate upon the alarm system trigger(s).

netZ

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I seriously considered Lojack or one of the other GPS systems when I got my STi - then I did the math: My insurance deductible is $500, Lojack and others range from $600 - $1200 - and that just helps you get back your car which was beat on and possibly dismembered by the theives. So I went with the Subie alarm, and will use the steering wheel club when parked anywhere overnight or a high risk area. Now if I can keep the car from getting stolen for a few more months, there should be a good supply of replacement STi's at dealers...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts