IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very scary!! Here's the quick rundown: Returned from a 3 day business trip, car was parked in a big parking garage. It was VERY foggy, everything was soaking wet. I released the parking brake, let the clutch out, and the car would not move! I got out to make sure I didn't have the boot on a tire or was hung up on a railing. I saw nothing, so just gave it more gas, dropped the clutch and it broke free!! Taking a look at the rotors I could see some rust where the pad was in contact. THEN I'm leaving the garage, hit the brakes to make the first turn and almost no braking ability. The whole way home in the rain brakes were VERY bad unless I 'warmed them up' a little before having to stop (stop and go traffic). I drove a stock Integra for 10 yrs in rain and snow and NEVER felt anything this bad. Bottom line, if I got in an accident from this I would definitely go after Subaru as being at fault. Is this a side-effect of high performance brakes?? I've seen some other posts similar to this in snow so I guess I'm not alone -

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm not sure i understand. our cars have the best brakes. yet i don't hear porshe's or other cars having allthese braking woes. does't the evo 8 have brembro also. are they having these same problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When it rains or it snows I have the same problem. When the brakes are wet you have to be very careful. I learned my lesson from going right through a stop light into the intersection after applying the brakes and I had nothing there. They are terrible when wet and I agree that my previous cars were never like this. It is scary as hell when you apply pressure to the brakes and have nothing there.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Man, you might want to have them checked out. I have driven in many torrential downpours since buying my STi and I have not had any problems with the braking. I have had them stick a little but not like you guys are describing.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I hadn't seen this problem before, and I've been driving mine since June in the rain, etc. Not sure what happened - did the pads absorb water while sitting for 3 days? I never heard of that before, but I never had brake problems before in the wet. I'm curious to see what happens next time it rains to see if it's repeatable and now permanent??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well since everyone say's that this has not happened to them I made an appointment to have mine looked at next week.

The also make a hard rubbing sound when applied at anytime and any force. It sounds as if they are almost worn down but I only have 4k miles on the car and never thought twice about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Going from 15" to 12" Kicker Solo-Baric

Well I've noticed what you are talking about, but I didn't think they were related.

After extended periods of driving in the rain without using the brakes, they are useless until they are heated up. So if you are driving down the the highway in the rain, they can get really wet and not work for a few seconds when you first apply them.

The same thing has happened to me when I've thoroughly washed the wheels. I have to warm them up to get the water off before the brakes will work effectively again. It feels like for 1-3 seconds, the brakes are gone, then they work again. Scary.

Also, I've noticed that if your brakes are wet and you apply the parking brake and leave it overnight or for an extended period of time it can get stuck and you have to force the brake to let go.

I don't know if somehow you had both of these problems together and it made it worse? For me, after heating up the brakes for the first time after they are useless for the 1-3 seconds, they seem fine.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
never had the braking problem (rain/wet/wash/whatever) or the parking brake problem, and I throw my car in gear and put the parking brake on everynight. Granted it feels a little looser, but 11k miles of pulling it everynight will do that. Other then that, i have no idea what the problem is you're experiencing. :(

Robert~

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine also work marginally at first when wet.

Also the rear brakes are "two brakes in one". The emergency brake is actually a mini drum brake within the "hat" of the rotor.

Mine always sticks if I use it when the brakes are hot or very warm and the car sits until cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Asking for help -- choosing gauges/a-pillar/etc

i have yet to have the no brake fear yet. i just have the squeek in reverse. i only have 4300 miles on mine. i have driven in pretty good rainstorms. even through the w.va mountains in rain and have not had the brakes fail yet.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Driving in a good rainstorm or slushy stuff.....brakes are very bad...feels like yours pads are made out of billard ball material!

After I give the car a good bath and I leave it in the garage overnight, the brakes will 'clunk' loose when backing out the next morning. Very rough feeling for a few stops till the rust is gone....otherwise that is pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
mistkerl said:
This has never happened to me either, and it rains incessantly here.
Personally, I don't think the rain is the issue, I think it is the temperature. I've just learned to get on the brakes earlier after an extended period of time with no braking. They just get cold and don't grab as well.

-st

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I disagree. I've been out routinely in cold weather now (several weeks with mornings below freezing) and I never have a problem with overnight cold brakes in the morning. The only time I've experienced this "holy ish, where are the brakes" feeling is in the wet. I'll admit it was worse when it was icy/snowy out, but I was also aiming for every snow pile I could (love this AWD!). Slight fade in regular wet driving.....pretty damn bad when shooting for puddles and snow drifts.

Keep in mind....the pads aren't applying force to the rotors when you aren't braking, but they for all intensive purposes touching the rotors at all times. It's not like the pad is just out flapping in the wind cooling off...there is a little friction going on there. Too say it's cold brakes over a long trip....naw, they don't get colder than they are when you first take off on a subzero morning.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got up close and personal with some exotics today!!!!

I agree, it's not the cold temps alone. I've had plenty of braking force in the 15-20F deg range, it's only when water is involved that my heart races as I slide towards the intersection, wishing I at least had Fred Flintstone brakes...

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's not the outside temp. It is the wet weather. Like I mentioned, I have an appointment in a couple of day's and we will see what they say. I read that the clutch is under warranty but the brakes aren't or are they? I thought all wear and tear items are not under warranty.

On a side note, does anyone else have that hard rubbing sound when the brakes are applied? It almost sounds like the pads are going. Only 4500 on the car so there is no way the brakes are going but it sure as hell sounds like it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have that noise when I apply the brakes also. This happens at any pressure or time (hot or cold). I passed it off as normal. I mean the pads are huge, rotors are bigger so the brake noise should be bigger also right? You can't compare the brake noise to an Integra. JMTC

·
Registered
6 Posts
subie dealer told me no mods?!

I live in Mass. and got the fog that you were talking about the other day. I was parkes in the parking garage at work for 8 hours and when I left to go home I had the same problem. I had almost no brakes the entire way out of the garage and for a few moments on the way out. I hit the brakes several times and thew finally came back. I contribute it to the heavy dense fog. I have had no problems in the snow or rain or deep puddles. I wouldn't worry. Probably just a freak fog thing. They have worked flawlessly ever since. :)

Rich

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i had a similar experience. i was on my way to work one night. it had been raining all day and was just above freezing. i basically can pull out of my driveway without braking and depending on the street lights i can get to work without ever braking until i get to the parking lot. i got a green at the first light and at the second it turned red as i was reaching it. the car ahead of me stopped(i would have run the yellow) and as i went to apply my brakes absolutely nothing happened!! they finally grabbed and i managed to stop before hitting the car ahead of me. let me just say that for about 3 seconds my heart was in my throat. i've driven my car in downpours before but i'm guessing it was just a combination of my brakes being dead cold and the cold rain.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
staticx313 said:
never had the braking problem (rain/wet/wash/whatever) or the parking brake problem, and I throw my car in gear and put the parking brake on everynight. Granted it feels a little looser, but 11k miles of pulling it everynight will do that. Other then that, i have no idea what the problem is you're experiencing. :(

Robert~
Today on the way to work, we went on a service road to test the braking (as it rained today)... HOLY CRAP ... I nearly puked we stopped so fast (not really, but man... that stopped so fast). Granted Im running 245/40ZR17s... but man, i've never had something stop so fast. Especially in the rain. Man... threw me forward so hard I almost hit the steering wheel. definitely some sweet brakes. ***This is MY personal experience, not all STis Im sure work the same... jsut what I experienced today***

Robert~

1 - 20 of 68 Posts