IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as u guys may have seen, and be sick of reading :oops:
i am still looking to set-up my audio system.
just curious as to where some of you are putting your amp(s)?
under seats? amp rack in trunk?
i like the idea of under the seats, but i am concerned with people's feet constantly being on them.

also for those of you with modest sub setups, what size sub and box combo did you choose?
mainly looking for dual 8's/10's or single 12 in a sealed box myself

does anyone know if there is a stealth type box set-up for our cars?
something like the jl or q-logic vehicle spec boxes?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I'm having a custom fibreglass box made by my installer. . . dropping one of three subs in there:

1. 12" Diamond Audio M5 12D2
2. 12" Premier (forget the model number)2000W sub
3. 12" Diamond Audio TDX 12D2

Amp: Diamond Audio 1200.1 (1200W RMS amp)

Mounting custom sub box on left-hand side of trunk with a release mechanism of some kind. (Want to be able to access jack, etc with ease)

Mounting amps (yes, also a Diamond Audio 600.4) along the backseat one a custom amp rack. This is nice as we have no pass-through to the cabin to interfere with.

Should be picking up my car any day now. (Still waiting for the call) As soon as the install process starts, rest assured I'll post plenty of useful pictures. :D

Under the passenger seat will go my 6-disc changer . . . and since I'll be putting in a pair of Sparco Milanos after a while, I didn't want to compromise the cooling of amps with lower seats.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i got 2 kicker solo baric's L7's 12"
Kicker 1200.1 amp, Pounds like hell!!
there are in a civic Si right now but not for long, i'm considering bringin' them over to the STi *if it ever comes in*

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't know any model #'s off the top of my head, but I have a 10" JL Audio sub powered by a 250 watt JLA amp. I also have a 400 watt McIntosh feeding my A/D/S all the way around. My shop mounted both amps against the back seat, then built a sub box attached to a board which covers up the amps, making my trunk approx. 1 foot less in depth. They also installed a plexiglass "window" in the sub enclsoure "board" so I can watch one of the meters on my Mac dance. It came out really nicely, and I get ample bass response from the single 10".

·
Registered
185 Posts
My current setup is a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 and a 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX v3. Absolutely SLAMS with amazing quality. When I get the STi I plan on putting Image Dynamics front and rear components powered by a PG Tantrum 600.4

I make sub enclosures for M3's so I plan on making my own for the STi. I am not into losing trunk space so a side mount enclosure (like seen on this site) is probably what I will make.

I also plan on using a mini-computer to run everything with a 7" touchscreen. Still a lot of kinks to work out of that plan though....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tooth when you get your Rear components where do you plan on putting your tweeters?? and when you say Rear do you mean rear deck or rear door?

·
Registered
32 Posts
This isn’t my setup (b/c I couldn’t afford it) it’s my brothers. It’s in a 1995 Chev Z71 pickup… He’s an audiophile and didn’t want a junk system. I thought he was retarded for paying so much for his setup but it’s worth the extra grand or so. It’s not boomy at all which is nice, you can turn it up until your ears hurt and the music is still clean. Most people can’t believe he put such a nice system into a crappy 4x4…Plus he added about 50lbs of brown bread sound deadening materials to help any rattles.

Full Nakamichi setup:

Sealed fiberglass box: 2x- 10’’ SP-W1000D subs
Doors: 2x – 6.5’’ mid’s and 2x – 1’’ dome tweeters
Kick panel: 2x – 6.5’’ mid’s and 2x – 1’’ dome tweeters
Deck: Nak CD-400

Amps: Rockford
Power 1500bd for the subs
Power 550x for the mids/tweets

p.s. My bro is real anal about the components he bought and put an oscilloscope to both the Rockford amps to test if they produced the claimed RMS watts rating. The errors for the amps were something like 2 watts which isn’t that bad. They haven’t overheated or failed, I don’t know why people think Rockford is such a bad company.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

Alpine 9815 Head Unit
Alpine XM amp
Focal Polyglass 6.5 components {front doors}
Focal Access 5.25 coaxial {rear doors}
3/4" spacers for speakers from East Coast Scooby
JL W3 12" sub woofer in box - secured with industrial Velcro
JL 250/1 amp for sub
JL 300/4 for speakers

Pics on my site.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Sub: 10" Kicker L7
Sub amp: Kicker KX 600.1

Sub in a small box velcroed in the trunk with plug connectors for quick and easy removal. The amp is mounted either on the back of the rear seats or the other side of a wall that was built, not sure because I never saw between the wall and seats. Only the Xtant amp for my front speakers is visible. Behind the wall is the Kicker amp and another Xtant amp for the rear speakers. One thing about mounting amps under the seats, we have heating ducts under the seats, so I would be worried about the amps over heating.

BTW, you guys that are only giving a 12" sub a couple hundred watts, how does it sound??? Seems like that is hardly enough watts for a 12.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
If I was to put in a system, Adire Audio all the way. Either a 12" or 15" brahma with a good 1000-2000watt Class D amp. ~4-5cuFT box ported of course. Definitely some sound deadner in the trunk as well. I doubt this will ever happen though as I spend all my cash on performance :)

Robert~

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't have any pics cause my lil sister took my digi cam :evil: but my set up is this:

Deck - Sony C90
Amps - Phoenix Gold ZX475 ti, Phoenix Gold ZX600 ti
EQ - Phoenix Gold 215 ti
Front Speakers - Focal Utopia 165 W (Custom Door panal)
Sub - Focal Utopia 38 WX

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hummer, I just wanted to know what focal speakers you have because the ones I am looking at are the 6.5 component (165 V2) and the 5.25 coaxial (130 CV). I wanted to see how yours are doing with that particular JL Audio amp (300/4). Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon 969 (Red lights match guages, blue lights match exterior)
Front Speakers: MB Quart Q Series 6.5" and 1" Tweeters (Crossovers in door)
Rear Speakers: MB Quart Reference Series 5.5"

Amps: (Subs) Rockford Fosgate Power 500.1
(Spks) PPI 480

Subs: Two Rockford Fosgate XLCs placed in a box that's too damn heavy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Head unit: Alpine CDA-7995

Amps: Precision Power PCX-4125 (speakers)
JL Audio 300/2 (sub)

Speakers: MB Quart Q series 6.5 front doors
MB Quart Q series 6.5 rear doors
MB Quart Q series 5.25 rear deck
JL Audio 8w7 in JL Audio high-output box

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
up front
alpine cda 7894... mb quart qm215.61/front doors
infinity 5.25/ rear doors
solobaric L7/custom box
kicker 600.4/150x4 fr/rear
kicker 600.1 sub
it cranks so much spl it moves my nose...ha ha

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eclipse 8443
kicker resolution 6.5 comps in front
kicker k5.25 in rear door
kicker 12L7 in custom 1.5ft^3 sealed enclosure
kicker 700.5 amp to power it all
amp shroud and speaker grill painted white to match the car

·
Registered
104 Posts
total SQ install.....

source unit: Alpine CDA-7998

processing: Alpine ERA-G320 soundfield processor and Audio Control Epicenter

amplification: Memphis Belle MC1300D 5 channel

front stage: MB Quart PCE-216 comps

rear fill: MB Quart RCE-213 comps

subs: MB Quart PWE-252 10's (sealed)

accessories: Stinger cable, Fosgate digi 1F cap, 100sq. yds of Brown Bead sound dampening material

* i do have all pictures of before, during, and after install that i will work on putting into a little web site for viewing*

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Why did you use a separate sound field processor when the CDA-7998 has one built into it? If it is not as good then why spend the money on the 7998 instead of going with the next model down without the processor?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts