IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Round 3....

It is time I start a Journal for my '08 STI. I've had it since April 2008, but I've been so focused on my '07 STI Limited build that the '08 really hasn't gotten a lot of attention. Well, now that the '07 build is pretty much under wraps aside from having to deal with a catastrophic over-rev, I can turn my mod eye on the '08.

I know a lot of you guys have seen my '07 Limited Project thread but a brief summary of that build is that it has a built Cosworth/Crawford longblock, APS TSR70 kit with a divided 1.06A/R hotside, SM4 standalone ECU and a bunch of other goodies, allowing it to make 504WHP on pump/meth and 574WHP on unleaded 109 octane race gas. Currently it's down since the EM forced an over-rev (9.5k+RPM) which just means it's great timing to get a bigger plenum intake manifold, flip it, and get custom intercooler piping while everything is ripped apart. That and reverting to DBC should finish the car off nicely while likely adding a few HP's too :tup:. If anyone is interested, here's the journal thread to date - http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64051.

Rocket Rally, the guys who built my '07, picked up that car at the end of March 2008. I already had it in mind that I'd need a daily driver that could get me around while the '07 was going to be relegated to weekend/track duty. I started searching around and really wasn't sure what to get. Well, being that I love Subaru's (the '08 STI is my 4th) I browsed the local forums and came across a great deal from a guy who was in a hurry to get out of his obligation. Apparently his wife wanted a new FX35 and wasn't that in to the STI...... their loss. So I jumped on that deal and had a WRB '08 STI with a couple thousand KM's on the clock (about 1200 miles).

Here are some pics from Day 1:

... :lol: just kidding, I wish.

Here are actual pics of Day 1 with the '08.

My 2008 STI w/ BBS + NAV (only configuration available in Canada in 2008)

• 1250 miles
  • Passenger, rear quarter, and hatch glass dark tint
  • Sport grill w/ emblem delete
  • Cobb DP
  • Cobb AP V2, Stage 2 Flash
  • Cobb short shifter
April 5, 2008:

The story fizzes out a bit at that point since all I was thinking/eating/breathing was my '07s build. Don't get me wrong, I loved my '08 and was totally spoiled having that at my DD, but who wouldn't be focused on their go-fast car?

Here are some pics from a little while later with the car cleaned up, debadged, and out of the parkade -

April 10, 2008

...I really need to do something about those tail lights.

Up to that point, I'd had quite a bit of seat time and was starting to learn the feel of the new GR STI. Without a doubt, it's a completely different animal than the GD's. The ride is softer, yet the rear suspension feels infinitely better. The interior is much nicer and more upscale compared to previous years. lastly, the build quality and sound insulation are a step up as well. As for the hatch looks, I liked the new look when it came out, and still do to this day. I've always had a thing for hatchback's, so what can I say? Also, being able to fit a ton of gear in the back doesn't hurt my feelings either....

Moving on...
Well, we had a freak snowstorm deep into April which forced me to throw on my winter wheels/tires from my '07. The '08 was shod in the OEM STI Limited rims and my Michelin Alpin's for a few days. Thankfully I had them on, otherwise I think this situation would have ended a lot worse -

April 22, 2008

Luckily snow tires, AWD, fast reaction and a LOT of luck saved me and my car's *** that day. An alignment and a repaint on the front bumper were all that needed to get my car back to 100%.

Fast forward again since all this was happening -
- and now we're in June 2008.

I figured I would have had my '07 back at this point, so I had signed up for a track meet. Unluckily for me, the '07 was still far from being done so I was left with two options - pull out of the track day, or get the '08 ready. Who would pass up track time?

So, on my birthday, June 8, I headed out to the track and despite the awful weather, had fun bombing around. Unfortunately, I also learned how awful the stock suspension setup was on a track. The body roll was insane, and quick transitions made it very hard to be fast through the corners. I know with swaybars, coilovers, an agressive alignment and some tires, the '08 would obviously do way better, but I still thought it was interesting to see how a stock setup performed through the twisties.

Some pics from that day -

After another track day with the Porsche club July 4, 2008, life carried on without anything special happening to either car. The '07 was still issue-ridden and the '08 was doing it's thing getting me around town. I actually ended up removing and selling the Cobb DP on the '08 since I just wanted to be Stage 1 and carry on thinking that this was going to be my unmodified DD. How wrong I was....

And that bring us up to the present.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: TLimitedP's 2008 STI Project thread -

Now with the '07 nearing completion, I'm focusing on the '08. I usually do suspension mods first then power mods, but this time around I'm going to do the reverse.

I have a tentative mod list that I'm planning on pulling the trigger on quite soon. It's a basic stock location turbo upgrade/big TMIC package. I was debating going rotated right off the bat since the actual dollars spent is quite similar. However, a stock location upgrade is what I ended up deciding to do simply because install is cake and it's so much easier to go back to stock.

Here's my complete mod list - "blue" text is the stuff on the FedEx truck right now, black is the stuff already on the car:

Power:

• RomRaided ECU tune (Open Source)
  • Blouch Dom III - IWG, 2.4" inlet, 8cm housing
  • Invidia catless DP
  • Fujitsubo CBE
  • Invidia Q300 CBE
    • REMOVED
  • Grimmspeed UP - coated
    • REMOVED
  • Grimmspeed EWG UP
  • Tial 44mm EWG, VTA
  • AMR 74mm CAI - red
  • AMR TMIC - black
  • GMS turbo inlet
  • NGK LFR7AIX 1-step colder plugs
Fueling:

• DW 850cc top feeds
  • Walbro 255lph fuel pump - specially modified in LGT housing for 08+ Impreza's
Exterior:

• JDM Sports Grill (debadged Subaru emblem)
  • Rally Armour mudflaps, front and rear - black
  • Tint - rear 5 windows
  • Red tail light overlay
Wheels:

• Winter - 17x8, +53mmOEM STI Limited Enkei's w/ 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Alpin
  • Summer - 18x8.5 OEM BBS custom painted Graphite Metallic, w/ OEM 245/40/18 Dunlop's
  • Track - 18x8.5 +45mm GramLight 57F w/ 245/40/18 Falken RT615's
Drivetrain:

• Cobb short-shifter
Future plans -
Suspension:

• Springs (nothing crazy in terms of spring rate)
  • Swaybars
I'll be tuned on 91 octane, 94 octane and race gas for this setup. I didn't want to go with a meth kit this time around simply because I want to keep it simple - keep power octane restricted and don't rely on a secondary source of cooling and octane. Putting this list together was so easy the third time around and I think it should be a very fun, quick 350ish WHP setup.

I'll likely be ordering this setup in the next week or so after I get a compression test done. With all the '07+ STI horror stories, I want to make sure that my engine is solid before diving in. Once everything arrives, I'll install everything either by myself or with a buddy, then get Rocket Rally to tune it.

I'm looking forward to getting everything started and of course the good times in the garage with wrenches in hand! I'll keep this journal updated with news as things progress.

Thanks for reading :tup:.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Re: Limited's 2008 STI Project thread -

Give any thought to the ATP GT3076? I'd go with the ATP GT30R bolt on but with an EWG vs the blouch. Out of curiosity what made you choose the blouch over an ATP?

P.S. +1 to the idea of "fixing" those 08 taillights lol.:)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

^Simply because the Dom III has been out for a while, and it's one of the better IWG turbo upgrades. I like the fact that it's a Garrett center cartridge and that it's ball bearing.

I like EWG because of the boost control, but the bastard is loooud! I know first hand from my 44mm EWG on the other car. It's DTA and it's pretty obnoxious. I guess I could get it plumbed into the DP but that just bumps up the cost. Also, the dump tube that comes with the ATP is likely designed for a GD. I'd have to get something custom fabbed for the GR.

The Blouch is $1600 and the ATP is $1700 + $60 for the dump tube (if you stay DTA), but you do get a Tial 44mm WG so cost really isn't a big difference. The other thing I'm not a huge fan of is the WG placement - all that heat right next to the main wiring harness....

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts

Impressive mod list.

If you like modding Subies, then modding the 08 will be no different ;)

Can you compare your GR vs. GD in stock form on the track?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Haha, just noticed the 08's journal.... subscribed to see this one get transformed like the 07.... (dont fight it matt, you know you want 2 track cars and a 2010 STi DD :D )

EDIT: So, i subscribed before reading.... done reading.... Matt, ugh lol..... sounds fun :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

I like your GR's part list. You just couldn't stand being stock could ya?

·
Registered
26,170 Posts

Matt our second subaru to mod. thanks for coming back and doing your huge list above with me. came home from a concert, got it all ordered up good to go etc.

the mod bug is among us! you'll have a civil 400hp car...and a crazy 600hp one to play with on the weekends. im jealous :) soon i will only be 250ish whp and 410whp...vs 250ish, 410 (470tq)...and 503rwhp...

anyway im glad you made it in between the 2 poles above. i did something similar when i was about 18 on an m3...radiator exploded and with some good reactions etc got it right in between the 2 trees.

Josh

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I pulled the trigger last night and ordered my above list through Josh @ Import Image Racing.

The only changes were from a Perrin CBE to the Invidia Q300. I also ended up going with a soft turbo inlet (GMS) just for ease of installation.

Once everything arrives in the next couple weeks, I'll get started on the installs (any one do a write-up on a '08 fuel pump install yet?) and post some in-progress pics.

Impressive mod list.

If you like modding Subies, then modding the 08 will be no different ;)

Can you compare your GR vs. GD in stock form on the track?
Yeah, putting the mod list together for the '08 took me as long as it took to type it out.

Unfortunately, I never tracked my GD in stock form. It was already Stage 2 with a full suspension setup - bushings, coilovers, sway bars - before it ever hit the track. So, to compare a stock GR to that just wouldn't be fair lol. Let's just say that I think the potential of the GR after the same suspension mods is much greater than the GD's simply because of the new rear suspension geometry.

Haha, just noticed the 08's journal.... subscribed to see this one get transformed like the 07.... (dont fight it matt, you know you want 2 track cars and a 2010 STi DD :D )

EDIT: So, i subscribed before reading.... done reading.... Matt, ugh lol..... sounds fun :D
:lol: Don't be surprised if you see me on A&E "Intervention." This is going to be a much lesser build than the other beast. I've got some updates on that one too so I'm heading over there to post after this.

I like your GR's part list. You just couldn't stand being stock could ya?
Stock = nausea. I tried SO hard :rolleyes:. I thought it was a step in the right direction when I removed and sold the Cobb DP... but I think it was actually my sub-conscious purging my car of a DP that tapered to 2.5" so I'd eventually be 'forced' to get a full 3" TBE with everything else.

Matt our second subaru to mod. thanks for coming back and doing your huge list above with me. came home from a concert, got it all ordered up good to go etc.

the mod bug is among us! you'll have a civil 400hp car...and a crazy 600hp one to play with on the weekends. im jealous :) soon i will only be 250ish whp and 410whp...vs 250ish, 410 (470tq)...and 503rwhp...

anyway im glad you made it in between the 2 poles above. i did something similar when i was about 18 on an m3...radiator exploded and with some good reactions etc got it right in between the 2 trees.

Josh
Thanks again Josh. I don't even bother shopping around anymore - I just go straight to you because you own everybody's ass when it's all said and done and the final quote is on the table. Another smooth I.I.R. transaction for me :tup:.

So you're giving up the Vette? What are the 250 and 410 cars?

·
Registered
26,170 Posts

glad to hear it...yeah with this crappy market, i want to buy another house, i took a deposit on the vette and the guy is paying next week. i have an e55 amg (v8 supercharged) and a clk500 so im not exactly struggling...i would just like something fun to drive like an sti etc...ill prob replace the clk with something fun in due time. just need to get into a house at the bottom of the market...vs the one i bought 2.5 years ago towards to the top to get a good investment.

3 cars...i drive ummm 12k miles a year MAYBE in total...its too much to have just sitting here.

i believe the install is very similar to legacy gt for install on the fuel pump you should check it out on those forums.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So things are relatively well under way now.

I got back from NYC late Friday night/early Saturday am after going down there for a few days to see Kings of Leon play. What an amazing show, and being in Madison Square Garden was pretty cool too... tons of history in that building.

Anyway, I got home to a couple waiting parts, so I took advantage of the wife having to work yesterday to get my new Walbro fuel pump and my GMS turbo inlet installed.

The fuel pump was pretty easy... I have to say I cheated pretty badly. I bought a pre-modified fuel pump assembly with a Walbro already fitted... plug-n-play. The '08+ Impreza's have a LGT style pump assembly now so it's not the easy task of dropping in a Walbro like it used to be. Anyway, here's a pic:

The install write-up is here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/152797-08-sti-fuel-pump-assembly-install-walbro-255lph-pump.html

Next up was a turbo inlet install. These are never fun but it wasn't that big of an ordeal. I've definitely done uglier installs, but it's just the pain in the ass factor of this one that always a bit irritating. Anyway, that's all done as well in preparation for the big snail so now it's just waiting for the rest of the parts. Here's a pic of the inlet, and before (extremely dirty) and after (still extremely dirty) engine bay pics:

Write-up: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/152798-08-sti-turbo-inlet-install-silicone-applies-all-my-s.html

I noticed during the install that I had a lot of oil residue in my intake tract. It still annoys me how Subaru has the oil evap system set up. IMO, it should have been separated instead of having to spend the $300-400 to get a proper A/O Separator setup. Anyway, I've ordered the IXIZ A/O Sep so that should be here this week as well.

The rest of the stuff is supposed to be here Tuesday. That'll probably mean the majority of the stuff getting installed this weekend. More install write-ups will follow of course.

Last but not least, I have an appointment tomorrow to de-chrome my tail lights... finally.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Re: Limited's 2008 STI Project thread - Dom III build underway

Very nice, g/l with the build.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

^Thanks man.

Finally got around to getting this done.
Before:

During:

After:
.... sorry, ran out of time for a picture lol. I'll get one up tomorrow night along with a shot of the IXIZ A/O Separator and the rest of the loot bag from Import Image (turbo, exhaust pieces, intake, TMIC...) everything else aside from the UP which is due to arrive on the 4th. This weekend is going to be :tup:.

·
Registered
26,170 Posts

thanks so much matt, glad to see its coming along...looking to see how it turns out :)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Limited's 2008 STI Project thread - The build has begun!! Tons of install pics...

Day 1 of the big build up has begun.

It's late and I'm tired and sore from wrenching all day, but I figured I'd throw some pics up since, well, I'm enjoying the progress.

Previously:
- Installed turbo inlet
- Mounted IXIZ A/O Separator
- Installed Walbro 255lph fuel pump

So, day 1 of the build begins in earnest:
- Removed OEM intake
- Removed OEM TMIC
- Removed VF48 turbo
- Removed OEM TBE
- Removed OEM injectors
- Removed OEM UP
- Installed DW 850 injectors
- Installed SS braided oil feed line

Yeah, sounds simple. Let me tell you guys, the '08 STI is very different that previous years in terms of working on the car. The whole engine bay is even more cramped if you can believe it. I wasted so much time moving tons of **** to get at **** that I had to move to get at "the" ****. Previously, pulling the driver side injectors was cake on GD impreza's. With GR Impreza's, I wouldn't wish driver side injector replacement on anyone. The fuse box, fuel lines, pointless brackets, the air pump, the oil filler tube and it's bracket... it's all in the way and has to be moved to replace the injectors (which in itself takes 1 minute lol).

Anyway, at this point everything I listed above is off the car. Today was just supposed to be a tear down day but I had a bit more time and was able to get all four injectors installed as well as the new braided oil line for the turbo.

Tomorrow entails...
- Install Grimmspeed UP. I had to reuse my OEM hardware (studs, nuts and bolts) since the guys at Grimmspeed dropped the ball and forgot to include it. Annoying but a little jam nutting and I got the old studs off without a hitch.
- Install turbo
- Install TBE
- Install TMIC
- Install intake
- Finish hose install on A/O separator (by the way, mounting the IXIZ on the GR is NOTHING like previous gen's. I had to get very creative and I'm actually really happy how the mounting turned out. Look for a write-up on it down the road....

- Replace lost coolant
- Change oil
- Load base map
- Prime turbo
- Fire her up! :)

Here are some pics of the progress. I have a ton more and I have plans to do a bunch of How-To write-ups '08+ specific.

Tail lights fixed up - red film:

The girl's:

The cleaned up engine bay "Before" picture (really needs a rad shroud doesn't it? Looks so empty up there...):

Intake parts out - elbow, snorkel, airbox, silencer

Heatshield removed:

A man's best friend:

OEM DP and turbo setup:

Old exhaust out:

Turbo yanked, marinating in it's ****ty top end:

Sad old UP and OEM oil line looking on, as I'm about to cut their strings:

DW 850cc injectors installed:

The day's carnage:

Empty hole waiting new UP and turbo. Braided oil line installed:

Tomorrow's treats waiting for me:

The obligatory side-by-side turbo comparison:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Limited's 2008 STI Project thread - The build has begun!! Tons of install pics...

^Lol, that's my parent's pad. I do all my work there since they have an awesome garage. Plus all my tools are there since where I live (parkade vid...), there's no storage room at all.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ah i get it, it does look like a pretty sweet garage. They let u keep the white car there too?
Only when it's broken and I don't have an extra parking stall in my parkade. :tdown:

1 - 20 of 136 Posts