IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am looking to install a system that keeps weight to a minimum, while still offering good SQ. (I have to drive the car to the track after all!)
I want a system that sounds significantly better than the upgraded stock unit, but definitely doesn't need to be competition quality, for mostly trip hop type music like MassiveAttack and Radiohead.

Here is what I am thinking:

Head Unit: Either Alpine 9805 or 9807, maybe a 9813 if I need the extra power.
Speakers: 6.5" Infinity Ref 6000 components in the front, nothing in the rear, no sub.

Will I really need an amp to get good sound quality with such a system? Weight and cost are big considerations here.

If I really do, then would a Blaupunkt PA275 amp with the 9805 or 9807 be a good option?

Thanks,

Nick

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Well, I'm going for the best of both worlds, but it is costing me.

Fiberglass sub enclosure in the left-hand side of the trunk wall (relocating jack), two amps (which combined aren't THAT heavy), and speakers and head unit. Changer weighs next to nothing, too.

I figure the whole system will weigh roughly 60-70 lbs. For the power and sound quality I'll be getting that's a pretty good figure. The same equipment in my Civic (adding in a second 12" sub) was at least twice that. The fiberglass sub enclosure will weigh just a few pounds, versus the 60+ pounds the fiberboard box weighed in my last car.

It's more expensive, but it'll take up a minimum of space, and weighs far less than any comperable system without sacrificing any sound quality.

I'll post pics by early next week. . . possibly even this Friday. It's all going in as we speak. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil2 trunk lid lip? posted under the 19" wheel post

I figure the whole system will weigh roughly 60-70 lbs.
Whoa! I was shooting more for like 5-10 lbs. max! Anyway I ended up ordering an Alpine 9813 and will use the direct battery connection to power 6.5" Infinify Ref 6000cs in the front. I am putting dynamat in the front doors only. Shopping online, and with all the wiring, IAP spacers, etc. the total came to $580 shipped. I figure I did pretty good cause it will at least blow away the stock system, and if it wasn't for the dynamat would probably weigh less as well.

-Nick

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Indeed. . . I am, however, an audio affectionado . . . and thus will always have a subwoofer with ample power running in my vehicles to round out the low end tones. I suppose, from a sound quality standpoint, weight will be somewhat sacrificial. I talked with my installer today (it's still not done) and he said the whole system should weigh less than 40 pounds. Guess I was just being conservative. :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
UberWagon said:
Hey All,

I am looking to install a system that keeps weight to a minimum, while still offering good SQ. (I have to drive the car to the track after all!)
I want a system that sounds significantly better than the upgraded stock unit, but definitely doesn't need to be competition quality, for mostly trip hop type music like MassiveAttack and Radiohead.

Here is what I am thinking:

Head Unit: Either Alpine 9805 or 9807, maybe a 9813 if I need the extra power.
Speakers: 6.5" Infinity Ref 6000 components in the front, nothing in the rear, no sub.

Will I really need an amp to get good sound quality with such a system? Weight and cost are big considerations here.

If I really do, then would a Blaupunkt PA275 amp with the 9805 or 9807 be a good option?

Thanks,

Nick
I went with the Alpine 9815 and MB Quart RCE-216s. The whole setup can't weigh more than 8-15lbs (with brackets, etc.) and it sounds great. I'm sure it would sound better with an amp, but I wanted an easy install and low weight.

-st

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yukonart said:
I talked with my installer today (it's still not done) and he said the whole system should weigh less than 40 pounds. Guess I was just being conservative. :p
Wow, 40 lbs is pretty light (comparitively speaking). Are you sure on that? What sub were you using?

I think just my sub and box are going to weigh in the 30-35 lb area. Then the amps are another 20 lbs or so and figure 5 for the rest.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
My sub box (just held it today) weighs mere ounces. . . literally. Almost 100% fiberglass, with the exception of the mounting ring for the driver, itself. The driver, now that's a different story. By itself, I would say it weighs about 20 pounds. . .perhaps a bit more.

Hell, my leather jacket weighs more than the sub box does. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
UberWagon said:
I figure the whole system will weigh roughly 60-70 lbs.
Whoa! I was shooting more for like 5-10 lbs. max! Anyway I ended up ordering an Alpine 9813 and will use the direct battery connection to power 6.5" Infinify Ref 6000cs in the front. I am putting dynamat in the front doors only. Shopping online, and with all the wiring, IAP spacers, etc. the total came to $580 shipped. I figure I did pretty good cause it will at least blow away the stock system, and if it wasn't for the dynamat would probably weigh less as well.

-Nick
dude,

you gotta PAY to PLAY...

i'd leave out the dynamat, if you wanna save MORE weight.

i'm not planning on racing mine so i couldnt care what my system weighed. plus, the owner is probably the one that needs to check on the weight... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts