IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya!

I am looking to upgrade my wheels on my new to me 2018 STi. I plan to go 18" eventually, but the car has brand new PSS4S tires, ad it seems a waste to ditch some nice new tires.

So I am thinking about getting some 19's, but I am having a hard time finding affordable light weight wheels. I love the Work Emotion, and they have the size I want, 19x9.5 +38. But I cannot find any weight specs for those wheels. What I want to avoid is getting a wheels that is the same weight as stock (or not enough of a delta to matter), as my understanding is the stock 19's are heavy (28lbs is what I read here, but I am not sure that has been confirmed).

Any other decent manufacturers that make "affordable" (say $1500) wheels? Thanks for any help!

josh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Strong, light wheels cost money especially at 19". If you plan to go to 18s eventually, just do that now. You'll both cut weight and cost and those previously unaffordable wheels might get into your budget. You can try and sell those new stock tires locally too to recoup some cost -- I did that and put the money towards my volks.

That being said, I'm in Canada so costs are different. Of the more "affordable", reputable, strong, and relatively light wheels, I'm a fan of SSR, GramLights, Work. They're still up there in price here... not sure how much they go for in the US (which is where i assume you are)...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

As you suggested, I decided to go for 18's now, and try to sell the tires locally. I loath the whole CL ordeal of listing tires for sale, the low ball routine. But I am not a fan of 19" wheels. The stock 2018 wheels do not look bad. But they are heavy, hard to clean, etc.

Thanks also for the suggestions on brands. I am a big fan of Enkei, Work, SSR and of course Advan. Being a budget minded kinda guy I tend to go for the Enkei. If I roach one, replacement cost is less to swallow, and I have had great luck so far. I had a set of NT03+m 18x9.5 +27 on my 2005 STi (shaved and pulled fenders), and the same on my 2016 WRX (had to do nothing on stock susp.). I am currently leaning toward 18x9.5 or 10 +38 with 255/40 series.

The Bay Area Meet (BAM) is coming up, so I am thinking I may see some wheels for sale there if I don't pull the trigger sooner. Rallisport 10% pff sale ends today, so I need to poop or get off the pot...

Thanks again!

josh

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Rota KB-F or KB-R may be a good option. They're a lighter replica of the '15-17 BBS wheels. It's probably what I'll go with once I pull the trigger on upgrading my wheels. They're light, decently priced, and look OEM-ish. Just have to figure out how to adapt the STI center cap :)

They come in 18x8.5" (KB-F), 18x9.5" (KB-R), or 19x9.5" (KB-R). They weigh ~19-22 lbs each depending on the size.

Rota KB-F 18x8.5 +44 5x114.3
Rota KB-R 18x9.5 +38 5x114.3
Rota KB-R 19x9.5 +40 5x114.3

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Nick!

I dig the Rota wheel line up. I know those guys over there from way back. I will need to check those out. I did not know they were so light!

Thanks again!

josh

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally I would stay away from Rotas unless price is an absolute limiting factor. Enkei, Work, SSR or Gram Lights are good manufacturers but can be pricey.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally I would stay away from Rotas unless price is an absolute limiting factor. Enkei, Work, SSR or Gram Lights are good manufacturers but can be pricey.
Because of the integrity of the company (knockoff wheels) or the integrity of the wheel itself (strength)? :lol:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Heya!

I am looking to upgrade my wheels on my new to me 2018 STi. I plan to go 18" eventually, but the car has brand new PSS4S tires, ad it seems a waste to ditch some nice new tires.

So I am thinking about getting some 19's, but I am having a hard time finding affordable light weight wheels. I love the Work Emotion, and they have the size I want, 19x9.5 +38. But I cannot find any weight specs for those wheels. What I want to avoid is getting a wheels that is the same weight as stock (or not enough of a delta to matter), as my understanding is the stock 19's are heavy (28lbs is what I read here, but I am not sure that has been confirmed).

Any other decent manufacturers that make "affordable" (say $1500) wheels? Thanks for any help!

josh

I have a 19x8.5 +38 offset Work Emotion M8R approx. 22.8 lbs, 9.5 width should be 23+ lbs. and weighs less the the stock STi 19's

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!

Thanks for all the input.

aj, thanks for posting your wheel weight! That is very promising as far as the Work wheels go. I did see a white STi with 19x9.5 +38 and it looks AWESOME. So that threw a wrench into my search....

I also found a source that weighed the stock wheels, and I can confirm they weigh 28.3 lbs. Heavy, but not *too* bad for a stock 19: wheel. But I am now anxious to get lighter wheels.

As far as Rota wheels. I think it is a mixed bag with their rep. I see it from both sides, and I will be avoiding them for now. Mainly as I just don't dig any of there current designs. The Mach V multi spoke wheel us intriguing as it comes in a +42 offset, which is pretty ideal. I am still hung up on RPF1's. I have also discovered the Work MCO's and they look REALLY good as well.

*sigh* First world issues right? HAHA!

Thanks again all!

josh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow!

Thanks for all the input.

aj, thanks for posting your wheel weight! That is very promising as far as the Work wheels go. I did see a white STi with 19x9.5 +38 and it looks AWESOME. So that threw a wrench into my search....

I also found a source that weighed the stock wheels, and I can confirm they weigh 28.3 lbs. Heavy, but not *too* bad for a stock 19: wheel. But I am now anxious to get lighter wheels.

As far as Rota wheels. I think it is a mixed bag with their rep. I see it from both sides, and I will be avoiding them for now. Mainly as I just don't dig any of there current designs. The Mach V multi spoke wheel us intriguing as it comes in a +42 offset, which is pretty ideal. I am still hung up on RPF1's. I have also discovered the Work MCO's and they look REALLY good as well.

*sigh* First world issues right? HAHA!

Thanks again all!

josh
I generally like Enkei and Work, but I would still pick Work over the RPF1 specifically. I've read (and heard) that they can bend easier than what people think they should be able to take. They're no ticking timebomb or anything, but I don't really hear much of that about Work. That said, RPF1 are really affordable and can be replaced easily if that happens.

Which is why with wheels I say strong, light, cheap... pick two.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm running Gram Light 57CRs in 18" on my STI and they are about 18% lighter than the stock rims (19.85lb compared to 24.25lbs). Not sure how the 19" rims would compare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm running Gram Light 57CRs in 18" on my STI and they are about 18% lighter than the stock rims (19.85lb compared to 24.25lbs). Not sure how the 19" rims would compare.
Just got the same set of wheels, What tire size are you running.

Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you can find a set of Konig Milligrams, they’re 18.9 lbs each for 18x9.5” with +38 offset. I have them in gold in 18x8.5” and they’re light and gorgeous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have anyone tried RPF1 18x8.5J with +30 offset on '18+ STI?
I have a set of spare RPF1 and like to know if they will fit the 2020 STI without rubbering the fender.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I agree with the advice to simply wait until you are ready to switch to the 18" wheels. You'll save money in the long run by buying a more expensive 18" wheel now, than buying an "affordable" set of 19" today, and then a second "affordable" set of 18" in a year or so. I just bought a set of 18x8.5 WedsSport TC105X. They are 16.8 pounds compared to ~22 pounds for stock. My 19" tires aren't quite worn out yet, so I'll just be sitting on the wheels until I'm ready to buy a set of 18" tires for them.

-Craig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts