IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a new STi (blue) last weekend. (this car is SICK! even compared to my previous 2002 z06, type-r' and lightnings)

anyway...this is my first turbo car and i have spent the past week reading these posts and trying to come up to speed on tuning of the STi and turbo cars in general. well, after nearly 22 hours (DAMN there is alot of stuff out here!!!) of reading and research this week, it is obvious there are quite a few approaches and views on properly tuning these babies. that being said, i think i have decided to "limit" the modding to my new ride, due to issues like boost creep, etc. although i wanted your thoughts on the few mods i have narrowed it down to and am looking for comments. (...and its not due to doing a hell of alot of "searching" of the forums here)

1. rallitek(rallitek.com) has a pretty nice silencer delete which eliminates the baffle, yet directs air from the scoop directly to the airbox. (and keeps a stock look, which i like). i am hoping to slightly increase intake efficiency here a bit.

2. perrin replacement panel filter. (again...trying to slightly increase intake volume)

3. turboxs high performance MANUAL boost controller. (only looking to boost psi 2 pounds). does this make sense, with no plans for downtubes, exhaust mods, bigger turbos, etc????

3. Cusco front and rear strut tower braces.

i know these mods may not be as exciting as many of the more extreme mods that others are doing....but any comments would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

dean
04 Blue Sti.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
dean_anderson said:
just picked up a new STi (blue) last weekend. (this car is SICK! even compared to my previous 2002 z06, type-r' and lightnings)
Welcome!

1. rallitek(rallitek.com) has a pretty nice silencer delete which eliminates the baffle, yet directs air from the scoop directly to the airbox. (and keeps a stock look, which i like). i am hoping to slightly increase intake efficiency here a bit.
Looks nice, but it's a little pricey.

2. perrin replacement panel filter. (again...trying to slightly increase intake volume)
Good mod. I had the ITG foam filter on my '02 WRX and it worked great (as confirmed by used oil analysis) and sounded good, too.

3. turboxs high performance MANUAL boost controller. (only looking to boost psi 2 pounds). does this make sense, with no plans for downtubes, exhaust mods, bigger turbos, etc????
Dunno. Do you have a boost gauge? Wouldn't play with boost without one.

3. Cusco front and rear strut tower braces.
I think swaybars are better first suspension mod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks slowride...much appreciated.

yes, i do have a boost gauge(factory installed sti gauge). actually, the guy at the speed shop is recommending an AVO upgrade wastegate acutator over the mbc. do you know pro cons of either?

also...you are right....i forgot to mention, i am doing front and rear sway bars too. the rear needs it the most from what i read.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
avo upgrade actuator or a turboxs mbc?

dean_anderson said:
actually, the guy at the speed shop is recommending an AVO upgrade wastegate acutator over the mbc. do you know pro cons of either?
No, sorry, someone else'll have to field that.

Glad to help so far, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts