IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just graduated from college have a job starting in september but one catch, do I buy the STI and go in more debt on top of my student loans I have. My job pays me enough that I could survive but the economy is still shaky.

Option 1, I can buy the STi and live a strict budget life while juggling a student loan payment, rent, car insurance, and car payment.

Option 2, buy a honda accord off my parents for 12k which is 2001 and then ride that for a year and trade it in next yr for an STi with 1/2 of my student loans paid off and financially stronger.

What do you think? Should I at the age of 22 start riding this amazing car or take is safe while the economy sucks and save up some cash and buy the car next year. Decisions decision... Please help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you get the STi you will have a HELL OF A RIDE but you will also be in dept for a long time. And believe me, you will question your decision each month you write the check for car payment, insurance, student loan, etc.

If I were you I would take option 2. You might be just fine with Option 1 but you might be too close to be in complete dept. Plus, the older you get the more things you will want to buy. Also, the economy is uncertain and not at its best and people looses their job all the time. Or save till you have 6 times your monthly income in your savings account and go for it.

Option 1: pretty much stuck with monthly payments
Option 2: you can always "change your mind" and get a STi

Good luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dude, do the smart thing and wait. I think you already know the answer since your asking questions now. You don't want to get into too much debt early in life. First, I am a firm believer in that you should own a home before spending that much on a car, which is the opposite of an investment. It's good and all to be pimpin' with a nice car, but remember to keep your feet firmly planted and think a little bit about your future too. Remember that $32k is a lot of money to spend on a car not only for a college grad, but for a majority of people who are working and own homes. Don't let your emotions get the best of you and let you dig a hole that you might regret later. You won't enjoy the car if the payments will become a big headche later. Trust me on this one.

deneed4spd said:
So I just graduated from college have a job starting in september but one catch, do I buy the STI and go in more debt on top of my student loans I have. My job pays me enough that I could survive but the economy is still shaky.

Option 1, I can buy the STi and live a strict budget life while juggling a student loan payment, rent, car insurance, and car payment.

Option 2, buy a honda accord off my parents for 12k which is 2001 and then ride that for a year and trade it in next yr for an STi with 1/2 of my student loans paid off and financially stronger.

What do you think? Should I at the age of 22 start riding this amazing car or take is safe while the economy sucks and save up some cash and buy the car next year. Decisions decision... Please help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep: Having dug myself out of debt on many occations I would tell you to definately go with option 2. The 1st option just isn't worth it, and who knows what will happen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone here is right. A little patience is a good thing. As in the previous post, if your asking.....you now the answer. At least give it some thought for a few months.

I worked with my dealer since January to pull and STI our of their hat. Last week, my wife and I found out we are going to be parents. Life's little decision was made for me! so......sold the motorcycle, told the dealer to forget my order ....did decide to get rid of the 02 WRX wagon and bag me an 04 model last Monday. Maybe a couple years down the line, an STI will be in the garage.

It's tuff when you have a passion for something. If your passion is for driving though, the car can wait...there's always roadway and other cars to play with in the mean time. Plus, we can live vicariously through everyone here who plans to collect their prized possessions over the next few weeks. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
*wink wink*

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS STUPID?!?!?!?!?!

OF COURSE HE SHOULD GO WITH #1!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT KIND OF MORON WOULD SAVE $$$$

;)

j/k

·
Registered
62 Posts
sti on lot msrp

Definitely option #2. Take it from someone who has A LOT of debt from professional school, it's a noose around the neck! Exercise a little forethought and restraint and focus on getting rid of as much debt as possible/strengthening your financial positioning. You'll be much better off in the long run!

·
Registered
12 Posts
ldivinag said:
option 2...

in 2004, the 2005 STis will have 2004's problems fixed... ;)
I don't get this - my 2002 WRX had no problems, and nor did many others - I think this first year fix stuff nowadays is like "make the cup holder bigger" stuff.

"1st year" used to scare me - it doesn't anymore

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after pondering it a lot. I have decided on number two. I figure I am moving to the city of Minneapolis and would be barely driving the car anyhow living downtown. Thxs for the support.

Lastly! Since I am not buying the STi, I have two number 1 spots open in the Orlando area. If you are interested, just contact me and I try to figure out something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would get it your still young and do what is going to be more fun ( thats what i am doing ) in a couple of years u will have a house or something so just do it while you can

·
Registered
23 Posts
deneed4spd -

If I ever get mine, I'll let you know how it is to drive the STi in a Minnesota winter...

I'm sure you have been esked this question alot--If you are living in Orlando area, why oh why would you want to move to Minneapolis?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, yes i do get that question a lot of moving from Orlando to Minneapolis. Well I went to a midwest school and I want to work at the corporate headquarters of a company. Orlando doesnt have any and it seems when you go to a midwest school you tend to end up there.

OH yes, definately tell me how the STi drives in the Minnesota weather!

When I get it, I will be 23 instead of 22, so I am still young and I doubt I will have a house!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
my unsolicited 2cents: get a house quick. you'll come out ahead with the tax benefits alone. and if you're able to buy in a community where values are increasing, all the better. that equity lets you get your car with additional tax advantages over a standard car loan.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
#2 dude.. u will have a lot of unexpected expenses, be safe, safe money and buy sti legacy in 2006 if u manage to save money..

·
Registered
67 Posts
rough times rough choices. right now im in kinda the same pickle, I could get a sweet car that I have longed for...or buy a house. Of course I want both and the house is much more sound a option, But logic also suggests that my nice car will quickly become my unicorn. Because houses always have some $ robbing problem. plus Me and the wife are feeling a little daring, we are young enough to take chances. But to complicate things we thought we would not see an sti on our lot untill june/july. Dealer called this morning he has three sitting ready to be prepped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts