IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever painted the front plate on a car? I am searching the california vehicle code and it talks about not covering the plate with a cover that blocks the ability to read the plate;

(f) No covering may be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

(g) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

taken from:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

I don't see how this can apply to a little paint on the plate.... If one can still read the words "California" and the actual Numbers in a clear matter do you think this could apply? It is just an idea I have been tossing around in my head.. If I am going to run a front plate I would like it to look nicer than it does.. lol..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DARKSTI said:
It belongs to the state
That is a good point.

From what I could read nothing in the code says you cannot vandalize your own plate, so to speak....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Eh, just leave it alone. You're just asking for unneeded trouble by doing that. I'm sure the cops won't be too happy about painted license plates :D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i saw an evo that had its plates painted with some kind of radar absorbing paint according to the owner. idk if it worked, but you could still read the plate fine. the plates looked crappy though w/ the paint.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is a front licience plate?;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
lokutus1 said:
i saw an evo that had its plates painted with some kind of radar absorbing paint according to the owner. idk if it worked, but you could still read the plate fine. the plates looked crappy though w/ the paint.
http://www.laserveil.com/ I think Bruce Chapman is putting this on his car. People also apply it to their headlights.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just took mine off :) NC doesn't require them anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
SoaReS said:
wow why is CA so ghey?
ohio too, i just got pulled over for not having a front plate on my car, grrrrr:busted: :tdown: so for the first time i threw it on just to see, let me tell ya a plate on the 06 looks retarded, for now my front plate is hooked to my pass. side sun visor......

edit, dont paint your licence plate(s) they belong to the state and i'm pretty sure they'd be pi$$ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happened to see a guy with a WRX the other day that had all of the front plate cut away except fot the numbers.

Painting might look cool on a front plate but my front plate is non-existant

1 - 18 of 18 Posts