IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back from the shop last night after I had my audio/visual/security mods installed. I still need to bring it back for the navigation but I figured I'd snap a couple of pics to show you guy's. I got the screen specifically for the navigation but after receiving a great deal on a DVD player I figured what the hell. I figured I can use it to keep my passengers minds off the way I drive sometimes in this NJ traffic. I am not a big fan of the flip out screens and the screen that MattJK sells is not compatible for navigation so I decided upon the Alpine and it almost looks factory. The sound is pretty good but I need a little bass. Any recomendations on a nice 10in sub?

Currently installed are:
Pioneer DVH-5000MP DVD/MP3 Head Unit
Alpine TME-M580 5.8 Screen
Alpine V12 MRV-F340 4 Channel Amp
MB Quart PSD 13 5 1/4 components up front
MB Quart PKC 113 5 1/4 in the rear
Clifford Matrix G5 Concept 450 Alarm

You will need a yahoo id to access these pics(I think.) Link is below

http://photos.yahoo.com/jerseyssti

·
Registered
834 Posts
Nice, I like the screen mounted there, but I wouldnt want my radio where the clock is because I am going to be putting the defi guage pod and gueages in there. thats why I am going with the flip up screen.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You don't need an Yahoo ID to view pics.

:eek: WOW! That is a slick setup, I love how you put the HU up top like that. I bet having to push buttons up there will take a while to get used to. And you're right about the DVD screen, it does almost OEM.
The only thing that could have impressed me more would have been the words, "I installed it all myself." Nonetheless, Congratulations on the sweet system! :D

For a good 10" sub, I would recommend: Alpine SWR-1041D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
very nice ,clean,original setup. congrats. most everyone is putting guages there. it's very refreshing to see someone outside the box.

·
Registered
834 Posts
thermobox said:
very nice ,clean,original setup. congrats. most everyone is putting guages there. it's very refreshing to see someone outside the box.
Yeah, everyone is putting their gauges there, but its because its such a nice factory finish. and in my case because I already have 3 down my pillar, and I am getting 3 more there. I plan on doing alot of tinkering on my engine and its nice to watch how everything is reacting. if I wasnt putting all those guages in I would def do the same setup though. it looks real nice and clean imo. I also like the JDM flip up screen for up top. I saw it on ebay a while back it hides away and then when you push down it pops up where the clock would be or something like that. it was pretty nice. I am going with the flipup and I am hooking a computer up to it for some engine magagement. ok enough ranting on your thread here. I'll say it one last time nice setup

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments so far. It's actually really easy to control the radio from the position it is in right now. The pics really do not do it justice as they are pretty crappy. I have the 3 gauge A pillar in my garage and am just waiting to install it when I get some Defi's so that is why I chose my setup.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice looking setup (we have the same component speakers!). I would recommend getting a JL 10in. I mounted the alrarm light beside the 'DCCD manual' switch by the parking brake...I think it's just more visible there when looking in either front window. I know a lot of Scoobs are getting jacked in NJ, so please be careful with yours.

·
Registered
175 Posts
nice ... nice and clean ...

Do you not have a subwoofer? Or is one not really needed with the MB Quarts ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy money right?

No sub yet as I wanted to see how the sound was first. I heard people say that one would not be needed with the MB's but I feel I still need one.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I think a sub would be needed with any speaker. Think about it, how much bass could you really get out of a 6.5" or smaller speaker? I have the MB QSDs and have a sub. Maybe if you feed those MBs 200 watts each it would be ok without one but I doubt it. ...or if you add the optional mid speaker to the components so you have a 3-way setup and have a dedicated bass speaker but still I doubt it would give you the bass a true sub would.

·
Registered
586 Posts
JerseySti, How's the system been doing? I remember you were having problems with the highs being too loud when you first got the system in. Also, have you definitely decided you want to put in a sub?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JerseySti, How's the system been doing? I remember you were having problems with the highs being too loud when you first got the system in. Also, have you definitely decided you want to put in a sub?
M- It's doing real well know that I figured out how to play with everything. Sounds great but I definately need a sub. I am going to wait another month and then I am going to make my decision. hat do you recommend for a one 10in. sub? What type of enclosure also.

I would have gotten one of these's my friend has one and he loves it has HU mounted on top of dash also..
Great screen and I was going to get this but I have navigation and his screen does not have a navigation input. There is only one input on those screens and I have a DVD player and navigation. He does do a great job on those screens. You can't beat Alpine when it comes to performance and I am more than happy with my setup.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's awesome you got the kinks worked out so far. I understand the sub issue, it's all a matter of how much you want to feel the music. I'm more concerned with the feel of my wallet so, no sub for me.

For a 10" sub, you can't go wrong with any JBL which is one of Paul's favorite sub brands.
For an enclosure, it really depends on where you're wanting to put the sub and how important cargo room is for you. There is a group buy (thread here) for a sub box thats flush mounts to the side of the trunk. It looks pretty trick, and is specially made to fit the STi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts