IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the stock horn with something more substantial? I would rather have something with a deep muscle type tone which would better fit the image of the STi.

Intown

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's already a definite improvement from my single horn old 2.5RS. So anything other than that i'm happy with! :eek: No changes for me here! I think other RS owners can relate to this.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No, although I think it fits fine. Some truck thought he'd be cute and veer into my lane with me today and he DEFINITELY heard the STi that wasn't going to curb his wheels or leave the road for a beat up old truck.

RN

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don’t have a STi yet, but my 95 Integra Horn was just as wussy. So I switched it out for the Hella Supertones. Holy Geez, these things will make your ears bleed. There are two horns in the set and each one is 120 decibels (240db total), compared to my single 110 decibel stock horn. But they have a very unique sound. They sound like German car horns. Each horn has a different tone than the other. I have them mounted in the front grill of the car and when I “honk” them I can feel the vibration through the floor. It’s almost violent. But they get peoples attention, including the people driving the 18 Wheelers! I highly suggest them, When I finally get my STi I am going to get a set for it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
MN1028, can you tell me where I could look to get those horns....also, can they be connected to the stock setup or does it require seperate wiring?.....How much do they cost?....I CAN'T stand this horn on the STi. It's embarrasing..ha...Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
I thought about getting those myself. If you have the stock alarm and it went off you sure would know.
Well the security system uses a separate horn than the regular horn, at least that is the way it is on the WRX (I think). When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago the guy showed me the horn that is activated by conventional means (pressing on the steering wheel) and the horn that is activated by the alarm. I think the alarm horn is a bit higher pitched. At least I think I am correct in sayng all of that, but I could just be an idiot :lol:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
From the looks of it, there are three horns under the hood (two up front and one back by the firewall on the passenger side). Not sure what the extra one is for.

·
Registered
370 Posts
whiplash306 said:
MN1028, can you tell me where I could look to get those horns....also, can they be connected to the stock setup or does it require seperate wiring?.....How much do they cost?....I CAN'T stand this horn on the STi. It's embarrasing..ha...Thanks in advance.

I don’t particularly like the place these guys put theirs, but it will give you an idea on how to install them. I am not 100% sure how to do it on a Subaru, but the install on my Integra was pretty easy once I figured out how the electricity was flowing to the horn. I didn’t need any special wiring. I just had to get longer wires to accommodate for the distance. But the Horns hooked right up to the stock wiring. I actually just used some 12-gauge speaker wire that had in my garage and it has worked great.

http://homepage.mac.com/brianslick/supertones.html

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1034

Here is the difference b\w the size a stock Integra horn and the Hellas (Note these pics in the thread are not of my car.) http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=373820

I can’t remember what the web-site was where I got mine but you can get them from these places

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/85115.htm

http://shop.offroadwarehouse.com/index.php?cat=163&item=20903

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
668 Posts
the salesman that took me out for a test drive was laying on the horn like crazy at "slow" drivers (i thought they were being relatively normal). I was impressed by the stock horn... much better than my wimpy honda's...

·
Registered
76 Posts
mn1028 said:
I don’t have a STi yet, but my 95 Integra Horn was just as wussy. So I switched it out for the Hella Supertones. Holy Geez, these things will make your ears bleed. There are two horns in the set and each one is 120 decibels (240db total), compared to my single 110 decibel stock horn. But they have a very unique sound. They sound like German car horns. Each horn has a different tone than the other. I have them mounted in the front grill of the car and when I “honk” them I can feel the vibration through the floor. It’s almost violent. But they get peoples attention, including the people driving the 18 Wheelers! I highly suggest them, When I finally get my STi I am going to get a set for it.
not to rain on your parade but 120 db + 120 db does not equal 240 db...the world db record is around 170-180 now i think. probably more like 130 total - if that.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html

that should explain alot. 120 is quite loud. at 140-145 (cant remember, been a while since physics) your heart will skip a beat. at 150 or so it stops. which is why at Db contests they have to sit outside the vehicles.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

excerpt from that page

Near total silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
A car horn - 110 dB
A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).

·
Registered
76 Posts
i know it seems funny but im 90% sure ive lost some hearing from my first car that had a competition stereo (95 ford ranger supercab with 3 12"s right behind the seats) i used to get a ringing in my ears after long road trips that didnt go away quickly, usually took a day or so. i believe they say anytime you hear the ringing you have lost some hearing. that same truck with one 12" sub and half the amp power hit 130.1 db before i blew my underhood fuse. still had alot more volume i could have played but i doubt it would have been much more. it was loud!

anyone want to buy 3 used 12's? lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not funny to me either...watching my friends get hearing aides...I know, I know, I'm an old man ! Really, once the damage is done it's too late.
I still find myself turning up the volume on my new system. Even my wife rants about the volume being too high. I could be next for digital aides at $5000... :oops:

·
Registered
370 Posts
PhillyB said:
mn1028 said:
not to rain on your parade but 120 db + 120 db does not equal 240 db...the world db record is around 170-180 now i think. probably more like 130 total - if that.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html

that should explain alot. 120 is quite loud. at 140-145 (cant remember, been a while since physics) your heart will skip a beat. at 150 or so it stops. which is why at Db contests they have to sit outside the vehicles.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

excerpt from that page

Near total silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
A car horn - 110 dB
A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).

:oops: :(

Well crap, Good thing I wasn’t a physics major :lol: That first page you have listed is just way to complicated for me :). The second page I can comprehend :D Very informative post. Thanks for clearing that up. I won’t make that mistake again. I guess I’ll have to get a dB Meter and actually measure the sound from the horns. Everyone please disregard my ignorance, and realize that despite the fact that I was wrong, these horns are still very very loud! :D

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I can definately verify the gunshot one.... after going out shotgun shooting for a day, I can hear a very strong ringing for a long time afterwards. I've started wearing ear plugs when I go out.... my friend laughed at me the first time. Now he asks me if I have an extra pair....

And shotguns are pretty quiet compared to a friend of a friend's AK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts