IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leo's speedo and odometer adventure part 2...

sorry... no pixs. too embarrased.

took about 12 hours!!!!

and i didnt get to install the door speakers. right now, they are under the front seats! (ghetto sign #1).

also, used tons of velcro to temp hold dig processor and xm tuner (ghetto #2) which is then velcro'd to cd changer (#3).

blew my really cool sounstream REF 604 amp. thing was a refurb but i have a 90 day warranty. damn... gotta ship it back.

had to use a 9 year old sony amp (#4) to power just the front speakers. no sub... GRRRRR

found out rear seat bottom is held on by just 2 bolts... dang....

i wonder how to remove rear seat back. that way, i can build the amp/processor rack CORRECTLY (#5-8). dont ask...

i noticed that back of seat back, on the trunk side are five holes. perfect for mounting rack back there.

guess i'd drive around without BACK SEAT... ultimate ghetto... oh wait. that aint ghetto... that's RICE BOY!!! ;)

btw, i'm missing a couple screws and carpet hold down thingees... ghetto #9 and 10...

i'm tired...

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I am picking up my STi today after a 12 hour install by a local shop. It cost quite a bit for labor alone. To not have a hack job done and the guarantee that if anything goes wrong I can just take it back makes me not feel too bad about spending that on labor. Plus I would have no idea how to do it myself with the amps and wires, I would prolly not even be half done after 12 hours. I will post some pics after I get it back.

Good luck on the rest of yours. Hopefully it will be all worth it after you are done. For what I spent on labor I could have added another amp or something, so there is definitely a plus to/if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Bad

Seeing my car in that condition would make me cry! But I would be too proud to take it to a shop with it half torn apart... Im sure the instructions would save me...right?....right?!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MKIVSupra said:
I am picking up my STi today after a 12 hour install by a local shop. It cost quite a bit for labor alone. To not have a hack job done and the guarantee that if anything goes wrong I can just take it back makes me not feel too bad about spending that on labor. Plus I would have no idea how to do it myself with the amps and wires, I would prolly not even be half done after 12 hours. I will post some pics after I get it back.

Good luck on the rest of yours. Hopefully it will be all worth it after you are done. For what I spent on labor I could have added another amp or something, so there is definitely a plus to/if you can do it yourself.
supra,

post pixs when you get it.

i'm curious as to what peopple did to get an amp rack back there.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I did not get a chance to take pics yet pretty much just drove around enjoying my finally broken in STi and new stereo. I am real happy with the install. I was kind of worried about putting 3 amps and a sub in the back, but I did not loose as much room as I thought I would AND I can still get to the spare. I had the sub mounted so it could be removed and has plugs for the wires that can easily be un-pluged if I need to remporarily remove the sub.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh man, that sounds great! I've been trying to hatch a plan for the removable sub just as you described. I'd be very interested to see how they did that.

Congrats man! Pic whenever you get the chance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on way to hold down the sub enclosure is to run a nylyn ratchet strap to and from spare tire.

the spare tire is held down by a big bolt. just run the strap from one of the spoke holes, then up and over the sub enclosure and then down into the another spoke hole...

i, too plan on a removable enclosure.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
BTW, there are 2 more amps, 2 crossovers, the speakers in the rear deck and the cap behind that wall that the amp you can see is attached to. A lot of the trunk is also lined with dynomat.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
There is plenty for what I would need. The angle of the pic is bad too, there is still over a foot between the sub and back of the trunk. Plus I could move the sub way to the left, to the left rear corner of the trunk. I can still fit a couple duffel bags in there. Worse case I can remove the sub completely. All I am really losing is a couple feet from the rear set. We can't fold the rear seats down anyway.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MK, how is everything bolted down?

need help on this part...

do you have pixs as they were installing? what about the 2 amps and x-overs?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Ya know, I am not real sure. I know there are 2 screws on the top of that wall that the installer pointed out, not sure if that is all I remove to take out the wall. I know 2 of the amps are attached to that wall and the other one to the back of the rear seats. The sub is just held down by a bunch of velcro so I can remove when needed. If I am board this weekend maybe I will try to remove the wall and take some pics. Sorry, no pics while they were installing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts