IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitsu cans 2003 WRC program

After talking to my local Subaru provincial rep (also a driver for Subaru Canada Rally Team, P4 class I think), I found out some hopefully concrete info on the STi. I t is coming with a new 2.5 liter engine, which will hopefully bring it fairly close to the Japanese spec STi. He said it will have at leat 275 HP to match the EVO VIII. It should also come as a Prodrive edition with the rally wing on the back and a choice of silver or gold 17" rims, as well as a choice of 4 body colors (including the WR blue - a personal fav of mine and the color of my WRX). Official ordering, and hopefully accessories, :D should be ready for January to those like me who have made a deposit already. The dealers should get a demo car in May (or at least in Canada anyway) but deliveries of the STi probably won't be until June/July. More info to follow when it comes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Red STi?

Is this the mysterious "second prototype" we're hearing about? There is another thread regarding this.

It says this
"Subaru is working on a second prototype and if it is finished in time there is a slim chance of an STi being on the stand for general public viewing He also said that the introduction of the car has been pushed back to fall of 2003."

If I understand correctly, all that needs to be done is an engine swap plus some tuning compared to the JDM STi. These two threads seem to complement each other.

It also explains why Subaru of Australia still doesn't have the new design STi listed. Maybe they will get the "second prototype" as well.

Any word on the WRX (redesigned)? I plan on getting one of those. Will that also be delayed as a result of this?

·
Registered
526 Posts
MYSTi said:
I t is coming with a new 2.5 liter engine, which will hopefully bring it fairly close to the Japanese spec STi.
Hmm this is interesting, I doubt it thou since the Japanese STi has a 2.0 liter engine. I sure hope it stays 2.0, it's part of the STi character.

Let me correct my initial statement, I doubt that we would get a 2.5 liter engine since the JDM car has a 2.0 liter engine. For us to get a 2.5 liter engine Subaru would have to create an all new engine just for the US. I don't think they have the R&D man power to do this. I'm not saying it's impossible just improbable. Who knows I could be wrong. We shall see in a month.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, the extra displacement would be nice. Unless I'm mistaken more displacement = more horsepower. And a 2.5 engine built up to handle boost dosen't sound all that bad. If the STi comes out with a 2.5

Jared

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Snow Tires for the STi

I'm not convinced that the STi will be 2.5L; it goes away from the rally heritage. And I won't be convinced until we get worm's stamp of approval :lol:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This rumor keeps coming up again and again. Not that I am not saying a turbo 2.5 would be bad or anything.. :wink: :evil: :wink:

JJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, everything that I've heard from reputable sources as of yet point to a 2.0 engine, I'd love to believe in a 2.5 too, but I seriously doubt it will be out this year. :-?

·
Registered
54 Posts
IMO I don't think it would be a good [financial] move for Subaru to certify the 2.0 STI platform and the followinging year replace it with a 2.5 or any other engine for that matter.
"Whichever " STI North America eventually gets should be for a minumin 2 model years.
KIM, the ramp-up, training, parts support, and the other associated tech and admin stuff involved in releasing a new model is time consuming and big expenditure and let's not forget the premature facelift has already strained resources.

**What's your guess?:
-We will get the 2.0 STI as scheduled
-Get surprized with a 2.5 STI instead
-Delayed release until fall of a 2.5 STI

JOOC, [by design] how much hp was the 6 speed built to handle ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke with same guy (I believe) as "MYSTi".

Confirmed 2.5L in STi and in 2004 WRX (detuned).

Suggested low-to-mid fifties ($CDN) for STi, and firm
delivery dates starting in May... but only 30 cars/month for
Canada... S4 territory at least :roll: :roll:

Suggested MSRP 2003 5-spd WRX with rear spoiler...
$35CDN, so the STi will show a 50 % INCREASE over base
WRX... :x :x

If you guys south-of-the-border do the proportionals... you
will get about $25K USD * 1.5 = $37500, WITHOUT ANY
DEALER MARKUPS !!! :cry: :cry:

Start digging and making noise, guys !!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Solid Info on North American STi

I have heard of the "rumored" 2.5L Turbo motor, but not coming in the WRX or STi. From what I understand, it is supposed to debut in the 2005 (redesigned) Legacy Turbo.

As far as the STi;
Confirmed colors today, only 3 will be offered in the U.S.; Blue, Silver & White.
2.0L with more horsepower than the EVO (270 -275 if I were to guess, I believe the EVO is coming with 260 -265)
There is currently a discussion, though no confirmation, to not include the gold wheels for the U.S. citing the reactions when the '98 RS was released with the gold wheels. Personally I think the gold wheels fit perfectly with SOA's new "If you get it, you get it" advertising. IMHO this will decrease the cars value to me, I want a "real" STi. Gold Wheels are part of what makes it a "real" STi.
Dealers meetings for the STi are scheaduled for May, usually the cars are already on the trucks headed for the dealers by the time the dealers meeting happens.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
honestly, if its just wheels...i'm not broken. i would like it 100%, but i can't always have my way. :) as long as the real-STi (minus wheels, DCCD) come..I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worm...

You are the man, but the guys from
SCI DROVE the thing and saw the
specs... :eek: :eek:

Seeing is believing... :eek:

Or... is it ???

Hard to argue with physical evidence.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Confirmed 2.5L in STi

Will you guys south of the border
really support an MSRP of, say,
$37500 USD... and that may even
be conservative !!!

If you do the math, here in Canada
we pay $35K CDN for an "ordinary"
5-spd WRX with a rear spoiler... and
at the current exchange rate (as the
only factor) that comes to about
$22K USD... but you guys pay about
$25K USD for the same thing... :cry:

So, that $37500 USD for the STi might
now become $37500 * (25/22) = $42500
USD... :evil:

Just throwing it out there... :roll:

Do the math... :eek: :eek: :eek:

AND BE HEARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
508 Posts
And that price

I think SOA would be completely out of their collective minds if they try to charge more than $33,000 for the STi. The majority of people in the market for this type of car would, in my opinion, look elsewhere if the price ballooned to greater than $32,500. I just don't think that people would stomach shelling out that much money for a Subaru. For a little more, one could purchase a gently used Audi S4 and get all of the interior amenities along with the performance. One thing is certain, if Subaru prices the STi at this level, my deposit will be reclaimed and I'll keep my WRX. Granted, the STi is an incredible car, but it's not good enough to justify spending $35,000 on!

·
Registered
508 Posts
price

sad said:
Worm...

You are the man, but the guys from
SCI DROVE the thing and saw the
specs... :eek: :eek:

Seeing is believing... :eek:

Or... is it ???

Hard to argue with physical evidence.
Are you saying that there are individuals who have actually seen and driven the 2.5L turbo STi? Was this the mysterious prototype? Where was it? How did it perform compared with the current generation 2.0L STi? I'd love to hear details on the low rpm performance/hp ratings/torque ratings. Please post some more info regarding your post and these SCI guys.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Confirmed 2.5L in STi

All that I know I have learned from
my Subaru Canada Zone Rep.

He said that people from head-office
(Subaru Canada Inc, Toronto) went to
Japan and drove the Canadian-spec
2004 STi (North-American spec, except
for speedo markings)...