IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STi Canada

New numbers are in, there will be slighty more than the original estimate of 1,700 units offered in the U.S. The new information indicates that 300 per month will be availible in the U.S. This means, depending on when the actual launch is, (May or June) th U.S. should get anywhere from 2,100 to 2,800 units for the first year.

Allocation will be dependant on 2 things, First - Confirmed Orders (No dealer is currently able to place an "actual" order for the STi yet as the model codes, price, etc have not been released, those who say they can place an actual order now...cannot ). Second - Previous years sales numbers on the WRX. WRX sales have been the strongest in the "Sunny" states, California & Florida, dealerships in these states should have a better chance of getting STi's than dealerships in locations with a low WRX sales history.

Detroit Auto Show is still the "un-veiling", prices and option lists should be made public shortly thereafter.

Just a reminder, there are STi's on U.S. soil now, many test cars are being put through their paces and several "Production" cars will be here in the last quarter for dealer introductions to the STi.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Worm, you mentioned that the North American STi unveiling would be at the Detroit Auto Show. I was wondering how that will correspond with the Impreza facelift that is rumoured to be unveiled at the Paris Auto Show next week? Will the STi in Detroit reflect the facelift or will their be another new STi in 2004 as a 2005 model based on the facelift?

Also, as I understand it JDM Imprezas will be updated (facelifted) as soon as calendar year 2003, with Euro and USDM getting a change in Fall 2003 or shortly after. From what I understand this is way of the Japanese car world. Please explain, if you can, how the facelift will affect the STi and the USDM Impreza over the next 36 months.

(Reading that again, it sounds like alot. Sorry.)

Thanks for your help!!! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STiWant1 - Good questions, no one seems to be able to give me an answer regarding the facelift.

In my own opinion I would think that the 2004 STi we get next year will retain the "bug-eyed" look. The main reason I think this is because the car has been so well received in the U.S. and there are many rumors that Fuji Japan has quite a few "bug-eyed" version body parts to use up. Since the U.S. is the WRX's hottest market in the world right now...the current look will probably remain unchanged until the 2005 models reach our shores.

Again, this is only my opinion...I haven't been told anything yet regarding when the U.S. will get the "New" style Impreza that will be un-veiled soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Worm, when do you think dealer will be able to place actual orders for an STi? After the Detroit unveiling? Might not all of the STi's be spoken for by then?

Second, is there any way to get actual sales numbers by state? Or which dealership actually did sell the most WRX's? I know that's a lot to ask for. I can believe that there are a lot of WRX's being sold in FL and CA but there are a TON of them where I live(Boulder, CO). I can't drive anywhere, literally, without seeing one or more...

As always, thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would estimate that actual orders will start being accepted by SOA in mid to late January. It wouldn't be a bad idea to let your dealer know that you are very interested in the STi, possibly even put down a refundable deposit. Just know if they say they can take the order now, the actual order won't be accepted by SOA until sometime later.

You can get actual sales numbers by calling or writing SOA. I believe that Colorado has the highest overall Subaru sales volume in the U.S. but not the highest WRX volume, those titles are held by Florida who is slightly ahead of California.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Worm for the info! I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting REALLY excited and I can't wait until January!! :D :D

Worm, any news about how the "test Sti's" are holding up here on USA soil?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once again,

Thanks Worm for the updates!. Even though they are "unofficial" it's great to have a stream of updates :) .

I was actually thinking of making a deposit just because I'm in the market for a car and I don't want to miss out on the "first allocation".

The only real burning issue which has been already addressed is whether we will get the new "facelift" or the bug-eyes. Usually, one can make an educated guess but in this case, if Subaru has additional "stockpiles" of the old look it could go either way.

The 1997-2001 Integra Type-R had a different front end than the one in Japan. so we may have a similar thing here. Who Knows ?

In any event, it'll be interesting to see what the new facelift looks like on the 27th/28th of this month.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks again Worm for the awesome update! I totally look :eek: for your posts!

Cheers!

Rexwell

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8) Thanks guys!

As some of you may have already seen, Subaru of Canada (SOC) has finally told their dealers they will be getting the STi in May 2003.

Sound familiar?? :D

MJ - Not much information regarding the testing. I know they have done hot weather testing & have lately been doing extended highway testing of the cars (basically driving them over many different roadways, miles, conditions, elevations, etc.) to see how the performed (As in held up, drove, comfort level, etc.). Since the car is basically the same car the rest of the world gets I doubt they will find many, if any, problems that would delay the launch.

On other news the STi name may also carry over to the Legacy line...SOA is considering a performance version of the Legacy for the U.S. market as well. By 2005 most of Subaru line should be availible with a turbocharged engine, including the Forester.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks Worm.
You've endorsed my numerous attempts to get further info about the release date of STI. I've been told after Detroit Show- Jan-Feb '03.
I've been waiting for so long now, dunno if I can wait further than that :oops:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I stand entirely corrected from my previous speculation....

I got word today that the 2004 Model STi the U.S. is getting WILL be the new version un-veiled in Paris last week!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks again Worm!

I actually like the new redesign better and am glad it's coming that way. In any event I placed a deposit at a dealership in Ontario, Canada as of last Saturday.

And so the countdown begins for me.... :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts