IW STi Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
7,832 Posts
Macbook all the way.

Ok, seriously though, if she is on a budget have her get a Dell. I worked in a CompUSA tech Shop for 2 years and we would get tons of HP's and Toshiba's in. Sony's are just as expensive as a Macbook so I would rule them out as well. If she can some how swing it have her get a Macbook. The learning curve for OS X is incredably small.

·
resigned
5,610 Posts
Last job I had was in the IT dept of a small company and we went thru a few different laptop makers before switching to Dell (cause there were always issues with the others). But the Dell laptops (and desktops) we bought were 99% issue free. The only issue I can remember was a battery recall.
We did have a few of those recalled Dell batteries as well. It seemed like it was handled pretty well to me. :tup:

·
resigned
5,610 Posts
Macbook all the way.

Ok, seriously though, if she is on a budget have her get a Dell. I worked in a CompUSA tech Shop for 2 years and we would get tons of HP's and Toshiba's in. Sony's are just as expensive as a Macbook so I would rule them out as well. If she can some how swing it have her get a Macbook. The learning curve for OS X is incredably small.
The learning curve can be incredibly small. You can't really say how easy it's going to be. I know a bunch of people that switched to Macs that have trouble figuring out the day to day stuff because it's not what they're used to. I wouldn't recommend a novice computer user switch platforms unless they have a good reason and the desire to do so.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Had a compaq before, it died. Wife had a dell, battery issues, died. Both of us moved to macbooks now. Love the macbook, won't go back to bargain laptops. Just moved to 4 gig ram, it is great. I have bootcamp setup and rarely use it, thought I would need it a lot more than I do. Make sure to get student discount or something.

Oh and learning curve was super small. You just need an hour with someone letting you know some of the basic features, like touch pad and click for left click.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
like i keep telling everyone at work.. BUY A MAC... im on a macbook pro now...these things are great.. they take some time getting used to, but i will never get another pc...all the guys at work are having issues with there pc and there i am yelling BUY A MAC... pisses them off..lol
robert

·
Banned
7,832 Posts
The learning curve can be incredibly small. You can't really say how easy it's going to be. I know a bunch of people that switched to Macs that have trouble figuring out the day to day stuff because it's not what they're used to. I wouldn't recommend a novice computer user switch platforms unless they have a good reason and the desire to do so.
The good reason would be it's a much, much, much better OS than Windows.;) Macs are just easier to use... Take installing programs for example. with a mac you simply put the disc in, a picture pops up and has you drag the icon into your applications folder. Windows installations are a bit more complex than this.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A friend asked me what laptop she should buy. Her current laptop is a compaq turd and would like something better. She uses this laptop for very basic photo editing, internet, and ms office.

I used to follow laptops but haven't been in touch w/them for a while and not sure what to recondmend. I prefer toshiba since i have been using this laptop for 4 years and not one hiccup (knock on wood).

Any help would be wonderful.
I use an IBM T60p... has been great with the exception of hard drive failures. They have replaced the drive 4 times now... I think my STi datalogging causes enough vibration to crash the drive. I just installed a Samsung SSD two weeks ago so I hope this solves the problem...

·
resigned
5,610 Posts
The good reason would be it's a much, much, much better OS than Windows.;) Macs are just easier to use... Take installing programs for example. with a mac you simply put the disc in, a picture pops up and has you drag the icon into your applications folder. Windows installations are a bit more complex than this.
It depends on your background and whether you're a creative thinker or a logical thinker (left brained or right brained). I'm a logical thinker, and while I agree that OSX is technically superior to Windows, I still prefer to run XP. My dad has two macs and I have one. I was a hardcore DIY computer geek for a long time and decided to go Mac. Temporarily. I'm back to windows and won't be making the switch back the other way. The Mac was relegated to being a HTPC.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Remember those CFDS best mod ever posts that I used to call spam . . .

21 - 32 of 32 Posts