IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me what laptop she should buy. Her current laptop is a compaq turd and would like something better. She uses this laptop for very basic photo editing, internet, and ms office.

I used to follow laptops but haven't been in touch w/them for a while and not sure what to recondmend. I prefer toshiba since i have been using this laptop for 4 years and not one hiccup (knock on wood).

Any help would be wonderful.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Macbook, and if she is a window's gal, then you can run parallels or bootcamp (applications that allow you to run windows on a Mac). I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. I use to be a big PC guy and times have changed...you pay more, but as you know (and its the same with cars) you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Macbook, and if she is a window's gal, then you can run parallels or bootcamp (applications that allow you to run windows on a Mac). I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. I use to be a big PC guy and times have changed...you pay more, but as you know (and its the same with cars) you get what you pay for...
I mentioned this to her but she is intimidated and scared about the switch. She isn't computer friendly, but knows the basics. I should of mentioned her budget of $700ish in the 1st post.

I will be doing the switch once this laptop wears down.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i just got a Toshiba for $700 (was on sale at Best Buy, usually $850). only thing i don't like about it is Vista, which i ****ING HATE. Toshiba's are really good because you get a lot for the money and if anything goes wrong, they're easier to fix because they don't use nearly as much proprietary stuff as the major brands (that's what i'm told anyway).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have her get a MacBook :)

Like Tru said, have her run bootcamp or parallels for windows if she wants that. Macs are much more user friendly for those "Switchers."

·
Registered
695 Posts
get a lenovo U330. Dell Xps 1330. or anything that is a 13" . Stay away from MAcs due to cost. If she is rich then ya get a mac. In all mean they are nice computers but you can get the same thing for about 700-800 dollars of the same spec. If people say ohh you can't run osx on a pc then they are wrong. There is something call the 86x which you can run osx on any pc that are dual core. Hmm if she wants something nice get the sony z model it is 13" I'll post up picutres on how each looks. But the best bet get a 13" im using a u330 and it is really good. I can play game and use it daily cause it got a dual video card, so it can switch out from gaming to daily. I get about 6 hours battery life using the intel video card and 4 hours on the ati video card so i love this laptop. I got it for 750 after cashback and 10% off. retail price for mine is 1300. but ya see what she likes. But the worst mistake is to get a MAC it is such a waste of money to get a MAc if you are not goin to get the probook. ALl the one under it are puer CRAP. it is like buying a impreza instead of a STi or WRX.

dell xps m1330
lenovo u330 the one i m using
Pricy but better then a MAC. The mac copy this desing with the keyboard like seperate keyboard. This is the Sony Z1 and it was used in the new james bond movie.

Overall let her choose but these are the top pick for a girl who is going to use it for daily and work like on pictures and etc. The dell would be the cheapest then the lenovo and sony is the highest. overall it is 700-2k. The sony is the most expensive one of all. but i would say wait for a while and take advantage of the 30% cashback when ebay have it back on. If you need any more help more then welcome to mgs me. But like i said if she is looking into a mac, she got to get to the probook or it is pure crap. The macbook air is the most retarded **** ever, when other company make netbook and sell it for 300 when apple tries to pull it out and sell it for 1k LMAO>!

·
Registered
695 Posts
If she is using it basic get a 13" or lighter the reason is that now they are using the ATOM CPU. Only PC laptop are using the ATOM cpu or aka p series. The P series are the one that are built for battery life. If she isn't taking it anywhere then get the t series. I would prefer the t9300 or atleast a 8000 cause they are the newest CPU. The macbook use a t8300 which is last year technology. To me 2k for a good laptop from mac cost too much. Me and my friend compare his laptop and mine and i got a better benchmark then he did lMAO. He got the 13" macbook pro the latest one and i got the lenovo u330. Overall i spend less then him and i got a better benchmark. SO it is up to you but this is what i came up when i was looking for a brand new laptop. I just upgrade like 2 weeks ago LMAo. I used to have a hp zt3000 and it lasted me for 6 years. Also another reason i dislike mac is the way they design the laptop. The purposely place the fan behind the monitor so that sucker would heat up so much and faster then usually for laptop. I think they place it like that so they want people to replace their macbook every 3 years which is about right for technology. For pc while the fan is always place on the side and under so it can vent out air. So i don't know why mac did it that way. They still use the same design for the fan.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The way Macs OS's are set up allow it to communicate with hardware better resulting in (most of the time) better performance. If she's going to be doing basic things and not resource eating activities, then she will be fine with a basic setup. If she decides to go with PC - with every brand there are going to be horror stories. I prefer Gateway - some people hate gateway. Some prefer Dell. I despise dell. Again, - they all have horror stories. On to repairs, they will all have 1 year MFG warranties which will cover the hardware - but - none of them are "easier" to fix than any other. They all use basic hardware (ex. Seagate HDDs, or Western Digital, Westinghouse, etc.) Since Microsoft is pushing Vista and trying to discontinue (in simple terms) Vista is almost all you'll find.

Nowadays everyone is at least selling Dual Core pcs, so something like the following would be good -

-Try to get a machine with 64 bit Vista
-2.7 Ghz Processor
-2 GB Ram Minimum
-Any size HDD, most come with 120GB or larger nowadays.
-However big you want the screen.

Heh..felt like I'm at work. Go Geeksquad!:lol:

·
Registered
695 Posts
lmao i used to work for geeksquad. Worst job ever!! lmao they make us use the cd that basically read up on all the stuff. The Disc was great but i usually do everything manually and most of the people who work there didn't know **** at ALL. I was the only one who work there who had A+ cert and also network+ cert. Just wondering how the hell they even get a job at Geeksquad.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Have her get a MacBook :)

Like Tru said, have her run bootcamp or parallels for windows if she wants that. Macs are much more user friendly for those "Switchers."
When people buy a computer they just want it to work out of the box. Not having to setup vm,parallels,bootcamp. That is a step people dont want to take. Only the computer savy and people that need it actully use it.

You could get a low end laptop for 599 these days to do anything she wants and have ready for use.

·
pwn n00bs
18,215 Posts
don't switch her over, is she is use to what she has, keep it at that.
the macs are great and all but eh, windows vista has been working great on my SONY.

toshiba are junk. they are cheap, fall apart, don't have a clear screen and well suck.
gateway forget about it.
hp = no, they suck just as much. they never work for some reason.
don't do any of those cheap ones either like acer or emachines, they all suck and always die.

so...tell her to look at sony's. the simplest one she needs would run her about 800-1200 and still have awesome internals. they are built solid, the screen is amazing, and the software always works. i've had experience with all those laptops and use a sony right now and had a sony before. they are freakin awesome.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My grandparents just surprised me with a Dell Inspiron 1525 a couple days ago and from what i can tell its a great little machine. Im accustomed to desktops (running vista ultimate currently) so the dell was easy to get used to (first laptop, running basic vista). It does everything i need it to and then some, (for a laptop..... school, etc....) Doesn't break the bank either if i looked up the correct model.

Edit: This is my first laptop, so i have nothing to compare it to. it makes me happy so whatever

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Edit: This is my first laptop, so i have nothing to compare it to. it makes me happy so whatever
And a happy bishop makes us happy:lol:

Since this question was asked in the gaming forum ill say get this ALIAN AROURA MALX
ITS only 8 grand.but you get what you pay for right?:lol:

·
resigned
5,610 Posts
FWIW, my work runs Dells exclusively. Of the 70 or 80 computers that have come through this office, I haven't seen a single hardware failure and the software is the same for the most part. I was always a hardcore build it yourself guy, but I'd even consider a Dell desktop. I'm on my 3rd Dell laptop with no complaints.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I've seen Sonys come through the precinct a lot lately, most with NIC card problems.

Again though - it's completely opinion based on brand.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
And yeah - seeing some of the people work in the precinct is horrible. I think A+ minimum should be required to work there.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
FWIW, my work runs Dells exclusively. Of the 70 or 80 computers that have come through this office, I haven't seen a single hardware failure and the software is the same for the most part. I was always a hardcore build it yourself guy, but I'd even consider a Dell desktop. I'm on my 3rd Dell laptop with no complaints.
Last job I had was in the IT dept of a small company and we went thru a few different laptop makers before switching to Dell (cause there were always issues with the others). But the Dell laptops (and desktops) we bought were 99% issue free. The only issue I can remember was a battery recall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts