IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my plane ticket last night. It'll be the first rally I'll see in person. I'm just spectating. But, I'll be hanging out with the Hyundai crew. (I hope you all don't hold that against me.) Any advice for getting the most out of my weekend in Michigan?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:D What an amazing experience! I have a new respect and admiration for the whole rally community. What a great bunch of people!! I didn't do much spectating. But, I participated in every service for John Buffum's and Paul Choiniere's cars so I spent a lot of time around the service areas.

It was great to see SRT do so well. If it weren't for Pasi's road penalty I think he would have won the rally. Higgins dialed his speed way back after Pasi's penalty. David's transmission failed on the last stage and he had to be towed over the line. I'll bet the transmission would have failed earlier if David hadn't dialed it back. I think Pasi would have won anyway. The word around the service areas was that Pasi had the latest, greatest, badest, fastest rally car and he definitely proved he knows how to pilot it. Ramana loves speed and it showed in his times on the fast stages.

That said, can you believe that Libra Racing pulled off a 4th and a 7th without manufacturer support at the event???? John Buffum came out of retirement (at I heard about 60 years old!!) to drive one of the cars. It was incredible to see how much he loves to drive and compete!! Both John and Paul drove an amazing rally with, as far as I know, their only "behind the wheel of a rally car time" being the rallys they drive. Paul has only driven 3 or 4 events this year in SCCA Pro Rally. Both John and Paul are great guys along with the entire Libra Racing team. I'd work with them any time!! It would sure be great to see Hyundai get back into SCCA as well as WRC. Those Hyundai rally cars are pretty incredible!

I have a new humility about my STI. I was amazed by the $350.000.00 pro rally cars that can put up 80-90 mph average speeds on stages with maximum speeds (at night on dirt) of 130 mph.

It was also great to see Paul Ludgate of Rally Sport Engineering in Costa Mesa California, in action. He managed Paul Choiniere's car to that 4th place! I recommend him to anyone who can handle the truth about what makes a car go fast and wants a job done right!

Did I say I had a great time? Oh yeah, it was sure great to drive my STI to work this morning!! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts