IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty pumped since my wife and I are going to go look at two lab puppies this upcoming weekend! This will be my first dog on my own with my wife. I've grown up with black labs and have always been around pets and dogs especially.

To all who've had experience we are a little torn right now. They are both beautiful looking dogs, with papers, certified in hips, elbows, and eyes and come from great parents. We are torn b/c we like the look of the Yellow Lab (since I've grown up with black labs and want to change things up a bit), but the yellow lab is a male and the black lab puppy is a female. I've read that female dogs are more easily trained, less dominate, and generally better socially with other pets, animals and family members.

What's everyones' opinion between the black female or the yellow male?

I am really excited and I love Labs...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go with the female. Male dogs are always trying to show off and hump everything in sight. I grewup with two dogs, 1 female and 1 male and I could tell a pretty huge difference. The female was generally more relaxed, and when she played, it was with you not against you, the male was always running off with all the toys and would always try to hide them and when he wanted to play he would just run straight at you and try to plow you over, where as when the female wanted to play she would just grab a toy and drop it next to you. Also, it seems that female dogs learn stuff a lot quicker, and that wasn't just with my dogs, but also my uncle's dogs. I grew up in a big hunting family, and none of the male dogs could even compare to the female dogs for tasks like retrieving, knowing when to stay, or knowing when to be quiet, just general stuff that dogs learn by watching.

·
Registered
963 Posts
OK Male dogs do sometimes hump a bit, but so do females sometimes.

They're only trying to dominate you (or your arm or your leg or their toys).

A well-trained dog will not hump very often and when he does you just correct him.

I used to have a Male Lab, never neutered and he wasn't much of a humper. He was actually a great dog and very friendly and loving. He was active until he was about 15-16 - lived to be 17.

The dog I have now never tries to hump me at all. He either knows I'm the boss or that I'm no threat at all :)

He occasionally tries to hump other family members, but we correct him quickly and he gives up.

This doesn't help you with your choice though :)

Although I hear in general females are easier to train...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Potay,
This topic wasn't supposed to be about which sex of dog would hump my leg more. It was just to see others' opinion about which sex of Lab I should choose.

Actually the choice has gotten a heck of a lot easier. The breeder sold the yellow male..so..

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up with the female black lab. She is great and we made a good choice I think. It was pretty neat since we drove up past Brussels to the breeder. Then, we proceeded to spend most of the day with a Belgium family. They were very neat to talk to and offered us lunch, etc.

Fun times.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey, i have a Labrador -Golden/yellow male. As others have said he doesn't go around and humps everyone like you would think after been de-sexed at a young age he has attempted to hump.

We got the male because when we went to see all the pups he was soo playful. The girl was just walking around while he was attacking you shoelaces etc. So we got him because of his character. He is still very playful and a great dog. They are a real fun breed.

I would go see both dogs and try choose one with character, friends have female ones but they don't seem to be so playful. As pups they grab everything in the house.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
RE: Re: RE: help...possibly damaged my car!..

my girlfriend humps my leg i see nothing wrong with it
damn right!...

Female labs are the best dogs...my girlfriend has one and shes about 4 now and to this day the best dog i have ever seen...so easy to train and great to look at, almost as cool as drdome's pup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts