IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my KW's finally came in from Germany. I bought these for GT-Works, and I must say great people to work with. I know I called them about everyday for and update and they were totally paitent with me. I knew these would take a while to come in. When I opened up the box, I felt like I was 5 years old and just got my Red Rider BB gun. So now I need to ask a dumb question to you other KW owners, I want you to know... that I looked on KW's site.


Does it matter if the helper spring is on top or bottom of the main spring for the front? (It came in the box with it on-top, but I see other photos on bottom)


Also if anyone would like to share...

What Rebound settings in the front?
What Bump settings for the front?

What Rebound in the rear?
What Bumb on the front?

To add what I have done to my car. I do have COBB saybars front and rear w/ endlinks all the way around. I also found out that in order to use rear camber plates. I need linear springs in the rear with a perch. I know this sounds noob ish, but I just want to get some good figures. I know that front ride height should be about 13inchs from center hub for the front and about the same for the rear. I am searching just wanted to know what every one is using. I am using this car for serious competitive racing in the next year.



VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mykl said:
Well, my coilovers have 2.5 turns of bump adjustability and 12 clicks worth of compression adjustability.

So I decided that ~.5 turns of bump = 2-3 clicks of compression.

Maybe dividing the adjustment range of the KW's up like that will give you an idea where to start. Also, read this...

http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/theory/shocktune1.html

Thanks for the link, but I really am looking for the position of the helper spring. Once again thank you for the link.

VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,928 Posts
I have the helper spring on my ZZYZX's on the top. I'm not sure if it matters or not.... but mine seemed to be too weak to even hold the weight of the main spring up, so if you put it on the bottom the spring could come off of it's perch when the suspension is decompressed. Just a theory though, I'm not sure.


NP on the link. :) Seems to be pretty good info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,518 Posts
KW recommends running the helper spring on top. I don't think it makes much of a difference but you can leave them as they came. As far as bump and rebound settings, try the factory settings first and if you don't like them, adjust accordingly. Just be sure to make very small adjustments until you find something that suits you.
 

·
I Solve Problems
Joined
·
18,253 Posts
vandersti said:
I know that front ride height should be about 13inchs from center hub for the front and about the same for the rear. I am searching just wanted to know what every one is using. I am using this car for serious competitive racing in the next year.



VAN
yikes! 13" front, no no no.

you're going to want ~14" front and 13.75" rear to start.

then if you must you can go lower but that looks perfect IMHO

i'll be running 14.5" front and 14" rear to help clear some 275s for Autox :D :Banana:

I'm running V3s as well, havn't had much time to mess with them yet.

there is a big thread on Nasioc about settings though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
Was wondering if anyone else had some input on this.
I am currently running 3/4 turn out on bump & 1-1/2 turns out on rebound all the way around.
It seems "OK", is there a more optimal setting though? Alot of this is preference I know.
 

·
I Solve Problems
Joined
·
18,253 Posts
the rebound for the front is suppose to be at 1 turn from full stiff.

but people are doing 3 turns out all around on rebound with good street results.

i'm going to try this after my next event.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
T3h_Clap said:
the rebound for the front is suppose to be at 1 turn from full stiff.

but people are doing 3 turns out all around on rebound with good street results.

i'm going to try this after my next event.

I was going to soften the front with 1 turn out on bump, and 2 turn out on rebound, and leave the back at 3/4 turn out on bump and 1 1/2 turn out rebound. That's what I will be trying this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.

VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
vandersti said:
I was going to soften the front with 1 turn out on bump, and 2 turn out on rebound, and leave the back at 3/4 turn out on bump and 1 1/2 turn out rebound. That's what I will be trying this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.

VAN
That sounds like a good street setup. Let us know how it feels.


3 turns out sounds way too soft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Start with the recommended settings from KW. Then you can mess around with them from there.

I have mine about two clicks stiffer than the recommended settings front and rear....Bump and rebound.

I love it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
428 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
yikes! 13" front, no no no.

you're going to want ~14" front and 13.75" rear to start.

then if you must you can go lower but that looks perfect IMHO

i'll be running 14.5" front and 14" rear to help clear some 275s for Autox :D :Banana:

I'm running V3s as well, havn't had much time to mess with them yet.

there is a big thread on Nasioc about settings though.
I agree, 13" is too low. Mine are at 13.75" fronts and 13.5" rears which puts the control arms horizontal and seems to work great.

Settings depend on your personal tastes for street and many other variables for the track including the type of event, tires, sways, etc.

Just play around with settings and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well just to give you guys an update how my KW's are doing. I did my last auto-x for the season. :( I left the setting recommending to start with for the event. A few problems that I had, was that my rear sway bar(COBB) was set to stiff. I had it in the middle setting and was three wheeling every corner. It slowed the car down some. So I got under there and soften it up to the softest setting. It stopped three wheeling the corners and handled pretty good. I am currently runnning -2.0 camber on front, and -1.6 on the rear. I am also on stock tires. It still pushes slightly, and I wanna make some more oversteer. So would softning the front help that? All the corners are same height. I havent been able to corner balance it, but will be doing that this winter. If you guys have any other suggestions let me know.


VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
BoostJunkie said:
KW recommends running the helper spring on top. I don't think it makes much of a difference but you can leave them as they came.
Yeah, I called KW about this for my Hyundai and they said that some of their coilovers have the helper springs on top and some have the helper springs on bottom. They told me that the placement often depended on clearance around the bump stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
You have a lot of options with the KW's. This is where it is wise to set them at the recommended settings until you know what the adjustments are going to do to the behavior of the car.

You could soften the front sway bar if you want, yes. Or increase the rear...but it sounds as though you didn't care for the reaction of a stiffer rear bar.

What sway bar do you have up front?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BayRain said:
You have a lot of options with the KW's. This is where it is wise to set them at the recommended settings until you know what the adjustments are going to do to the behavior of the car.

You could soften the front sway bar if you want, yes. Or increase the rear...but it sounds as though you didn't care for the reaction of a stiffer rear bar.

What sway bar do you have up front?

I have a COBB Sway bar up front. Understeer got alittle better when softning the rear bar, but it still understeers on throttle.


VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
vandersti said:
I have a COBB Sway bar up front. Understeer got alittle better when softning the rear bar, but it still understeers on throttle.


VAN
I have the same exact setup, only difference being that I set the rear camber at -1.2 (front is -2, as yours is) and I had the car corner balanced. I think -1.6 rear is a bit too much if your going -2 in the front. I also had to set the rear sway to the softest setting. The car is very balanced now and no understeer is present.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RacerXS said:
I have the same exact setup, only difference being that I set the rear camber at -1.2 (front is -2, as yours is) and I had the car corner balanced. I think -1.6 rear is a bit too much if your going -2 in the front. I also had to set the rear sway to the softest setting. The car is very balanced now and no understeer is present.
My corners havent been balanced yet, but as soon as my scales come in I should be done. What tire pressures are you running? Are you on stock tires or R-comps? I am stock tires running 38.5 PSI front and 37 PSI rear. My tire pressures vary on what the temp is out side. Hot days I like lower pressures and on cold I like higher.

VAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
vandersti said:
My corners havent been balanced yet, but as soon as my scales come in I should be done. What tire pressures are you running? Are you on stock tires or R-comps? I am stock tires running 38.5 PSI front and 37 PSI rear. My tire pressures vary on what the temp is out side. Hot days I like lower pressures and on cold I like higher.

VAN
I'm running 235/40 18" RT615's and similar tire pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Here's a thread I started over on NASIOC for KW settings http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059412


To quote myself:

Seems like the KW variant 3s are getting more popular and a there are a few competition sets around as welll...time to start sharing tuning thoughts. Between tire pressures, sway bar settings, DCCD and 8 independent damper settings things can get a little overwhelming.

I've tracked mine for over a year now and I'm just getting them dialed in. I've been keeping track in a log book so that everytime I change sometime (and I only try to change one thing at a time) I take a few notes.

Although I know everyone's setup is a little different, this isn't meant to be a modification show-off thread....so stick to the critical stuff

Setup: 255/40 r-tires, race pads, stock sways, 100 N/mm springs front (563 lb/in), 90 N/mm rear (513 lb/in), 2-way comp setup

Key:

Front (rebound/bump) / rear (rebound/bump) -- where 0 is max hard and the value is the number of turns counter-clockwise (towards softer settings)


For the track right now, (all these comments in the dry) I'm going with:

F (.50/.75) R (.75/.75)

I keep coming back to this...and keep turning faster laps. I think the rear could use a bit more tweaking, but overall I really like this setting. I'm comfortable with it and can drive near other cars with confidence that I know what it'll do and when I can push just a bit more if the situation calls for it. transitions to a slide and back with throttle or minor control inputs.

harder rebound settings (try 0 for a bit!) are extremely stiff...way too bouncy for my track. Maybe okay for a new F1 track or something very smooth, but too easily overdrives the tires.

Other memorable (but not liked) settings:

F (.75/1.5) R (.75/1.5)
softer bump settings seem to loose traction too soon...1.5 or more on bump and the car just doesn't stay pointed where I like it...too "sloppy" for the lines I'm used to holding with stiffer settings. Slides sooner when both front and rear bump are 1.5, understeers when the front is 1.5 and the rear harder. Haven't tried front stiff and rear soft...imagine the rear would wiggle too much.

F (1.5/.75) R (75/.75)
Not bad, but the the front was too "vague" still held well and was fun to drive, but felt a little too safe.

I've just started playing with the DCCD again after basically leaving it in auto for 1.5 years. I need to experiment more, but for the first time I think I'm leaning towards DCCD in open (full rear) settings with this setup. It's hard to explain but after leaving it in auto so much the first time in open I couldn't believe the difference...in every corner. I haven't run a faster lap out of auto mode yet...so the jury is still out.

Driving on the street I use:

F (3.0/.75) R (3.0/.75)
Still handles fine for street speeds and has very little bounce...probably even better with softer bump...but I'm too lazy to get on the ground.

Anyway, hopefully you can share your experiences. If you're just starting out only change one thing at a time...otherwise its really hard to tell what caused what.

Todd
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top